The New Raith Rovers Thread

Maybe been mentioned, but I was pleasantly surprised with Millens performance today. Thought he defended well and actually had an urge to go forward.
He's been getting alot better in recent weeks. Still has some brain fart moments but is looking, dare I say it, almost good.

9 hours ago, grumswall said:
9 hours ago, Jack Rae2 said:
Maybe been mentioned, but I was pleasantly surprised with Millens performance today. Thought he defended well and actually had an urge to go forward.

He's been getting alot better in recent weeks. Still has some brain fart moments but is looking, dare I say it, almost good.

😁

As for a striker next season, I’d be happy to have a punt on Alfie Agyeman of Kelty. He was good against us in pre-season, got two against Falkirk yesterday and has 4 for the season in a struggling and poor Kelty team. He’s quick, has excellent feet and can hold it up. Would likely be open to a move to us and is out of contract in the summer. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

12 hours ago, grumswall said:
12 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:
This is where managers and coaches earn their money, he needs to be supported and worked with to break through that barrier he's got with these misses. 
Connell gets himself into great positions, if he can just find the net instead of the keeper just once in the next game, he can push on a lot. Goalscoring is all about confidence and belief.

Disagree. You're either a goalscorer or you're not. You can't teach that instinct. You have it, or you don't. He's getting in those positions which is better than our other options though in fairness.

Nah you definitely can teach/coach those things. Kevin Nisbet immediately springs to mind. 

Not quite sure what it is but he’s impressed me the past few games I’ve watched him, last home game he’d been superb until those couple of dodgy pass backs to macdonald, I’d be more than happy with him if he can continue these performances

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

😁

As for a striker next season, I’d be happy to have a punt on Alfie Agyeman of Kelty. He was good against us in pre-season, got two against Falkirk yesterday and has 4 for the season in a struggling and poor Kelty team. He’s quick, has excellent feet and can hold it up. Would likely be open to a move to us and is out of contract in the summer. 

Based on nothing more than the pre season match and the highlights from yesterday's match I would agree with this. In today's market of hopeless strikers he looks as good a bet as any. 

There's no doubt the whole defence, of which Millen is of course part of, has looked reasonably solid over the last few weeks.

However, I wonder what the reaction would have been on here had Millen been penalised for the handball at Cappielow last week and given a red card for his tackle at Gayfield?

We look fairly robust defensively but at times tread a very fine line, as such Specky's comments about Millen at Cappielow and Gayfield are bang on, he was a lucky boy in both cases.

Probably been highlighted already but a quick peek at the BBC stats for the ICT game show exactly what our main downfall is and where our key deficiency lays. A chunk of me is massively hopeful that Kyle Connell will do a Nisbet and come good. Sadly I too feel it's not so much about attitude(KN attitude at Patrick was shot) as ability and I'm not sure the kid has it. I'd love to sign him in the hope we can develop him over time but I doubt that's a luxury we couldn't afford just now.

A fit Vaughan and Gullan and obviously this whole conversation would be null but they aren't and that we've no viable replacements is largely down to Murray's poor dealing in the transfer market. He knows the 1st Division but not the championship, as a result of the 8? Players he's brought in only I'd say only O'Riordan is a complete success at this time. Hopefully he do a much better job with recruitment for next season.

Regardless I'd like to see a striker brought in at New Year, be that a loanee like Jack Hamilton (struggling at Hartlepool, likely to get binned and end up at Arbroath) or A N Other. 

Edited by Scottydog

34 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

…that we've no viable replacements is largely down to Murray's poor dealing in the transfer market. He knows the 1st Division but not the championship, as a result of the 8? Players he's brought in only I'd say only O'Riordan is a complete success at this time. Hopefully he do a much better job with recruitment for next season.

Can agree it’s only O’Riordan. Nolan looks very solid, and is a signing, not a loan…Brown has been invaluable as DM and tolerable at RB…Ngwenya hasn’t had enough time to tell…Easton, I agree, too inconsistent…McBribe, too little to tell, but not promising…Connoll, lacks an instinctive shot, but seems to have an instinct for position, so a failure, but…McNeil, who knows…Frederiksen, jury is out still, but initial feedback is poor. So that’s 3 or 4 out of 9, not that out of line with reality.

Can agree it’s only O’Riordan. Nolan looks very solid, and is a signing, not a loan…Brown has been invaluable as DM and tolerable at RB…Ngwenya hasn’t had enough time to tell…Easton, I agree, too inconsistent…McBribe, too little to tell, but not promising…Connoll, lacks an instinctive shot, but seems to have an instinct for position, so a failure, but…McNeil, who knows…Frederiksen, jury is out still, but initial feedback is poor. So that’s 3 or 4 out of 9, not that out of line with reality.

I would say we’ve seen enough of Ngwenya. Have really liked the look of him, very good going forward, puts a graft in.

14 minutes ago, Jack Rae2 said:

I would say we’ve seen enough of Ngwenya. Have really liked the look of him, very good going forward, puts a graft in.

I think all IM's defensive signings have turned out to be good, being an ex international defender you'd expect that but his evaluation of strikers doesn't seem to have matched that. Maybe he'll prove himself right and Connell and Fred will  maybe somehow turn to gold. We'll need goals for the Thistle game, they're likely to score against us and we can't keep relying on Stanton to do the strikers' job.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Can agree or can't?  With a check on the players I realise its actually 10 not 8, but here is my opinion. Having watched Nolan since his arrival he is a bit lightweight, massively one footed, more frequently than not positionally inept and has none of the composure of his junior compatriot Mr O'Riordan apart from that.... 

Easton is a luxury player who as yet hasn't really managed to make the step up to Championship standard (his best display was against P'head) and I doubt he will.  I like Brown's aggressiveness and he is a decent squad player but better than Ross Matthews? Not in this fan's opinion. O'Neil (who I completely forgot about) as you rightly say is an unknown quantity as to a lesser degree remains big Jock Fred'sn, McBride looks like he'd struggle for a spot on the bench if everyone was fit (didn't get the nod yesterday when IM took a winger (Connolly) off. Connell and Millen's ability (or lack of depending on your opinion) has been well covered already. Ngwenya may have a future but it's early days, Kieran McDonald wasn't replaces effectively when he went and that's still the case. 

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I see Ngwenya is only on loan til January, along with O’Riordan. I’d be keen to get those both extended asap and not be resetting the back line which has done so well half way through the season.  

Ngwenya said in his interview the other day that the loan was up for review in January with an option to extend of both parties are happy with the loan to date. I would guess if he stays in the team between now and January it'll be extended. O'Riordan might be trickier with Crewe struggling a bit this season. 

51 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I see Ngwenya is only on loan til January, along with O’Riordan. I’d be keen to get those both extended asap and not be resetting the back line which has done so well half way through the season.  

Murray is on record as saying he hopes to come to an agreement with Crewe regarding O'Riordan.

Fingers crossed.

Just to add to the above - maybe I'm missing something, but the fact Coulson was sent on for Connell yesterday rather than McBride doesn't exactly seem like a ringing endorsement of McBride (I mean no disrespect to Coulson when I say that either, who I thought didn't look at all out of place in the few minutes he was on the pitch).

Also - we're certainly struggling to put chances away, but how many times have we hit the woodwork in recent weeks? I count two yesterday, albeit one led to a goal, once against Arbroath, once against Morton... Fine margins and all that...