The New Raith Rovers Thread

45 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Which is why the answer isn’t Vaughan. Coulson should have been given at least 30 minutes today…or even McBride. Connoll just isn’t getting it done, and with Gullan and Little John out, that’s our choices (Mahady won’t ever play for us, I suspect).

Coulson isn’t a striker, limited options so would probably have went for Mcbride. Not unhappy with a point up there considering and hopefully gullan is back next week 

3 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Coulson isn’t a striker, limited options so would probably have went for Mcbride. Not unhappy with a point up there considering and hopefully gullan is back next week 

Murray said 2-3 weeks for Gullan in his pre match. I think next week will be too soon for him. 

Got to wonder why we even signed McBride when he can't get a chance up front despite our other forwards being so wasteful and the manager would rather play Easton out of position on the wing rather than give him a start there. 

Very frustrating season so far. Murray has done a good job rebuilding the defence. We have a very strong midfield but our lack of a goalscorer is going to cost us a decent chance of promotion in a what is a terrible division this year. 

28 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Funny, he was coming on for Connoll…but Connoll is hardly a striker either.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Connells confidence is going to be shot to f**k, the 2nd game in a row where he has missed decent chances. 

What's up with big John to miss the squad today?

Failed a fitness test Friday, along with Nolan.

Edited by TxRover

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

Connells confidence is going to be shot to f**k, the 2nd game in a row where he has missed decent chances.

This is where managers and coaches earn their money, he needs to be supported and worked with to break through that barrier he's got with these misses. 

Connell gets himself into great positions, if he can just find the net instead of the keeper just once in the next game, he can push on a lot. Goalscoring is all about confidence and belief.

This is where managers and coaches earn their money, he needs to be supported and worked with to break through that barrier he's got with these misses. 
Connell gets himself into great positions, if he can just find the net instead of the keeper just once in the next game, he can push on a lot. Goalscoring is all about confidence and belief.
Disagree. You're either a goalscorer or you're not. You can't teach that instinct. You have it, or you don't. He's getting in those positions which is better than our other options though in fairness.

8 minutes ago, grumswall said:
17 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Disagree. You're either a goalscorer or you're not. You can't teach that instinct. You have it, or you don't. He's getting in those positions which is better than our other options though in fairness.

I'd say it's the other way around. You can teach someone to put the ball in the corner of the goal or use power instead of placement, but for me the goalscoring instinct is being where you need to be at the right time. 

17 minutes ago, grumswall said:
25 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

7 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I'd say it's the other way around. You can teach someone to put the ball in the corner of the goal or use power instead of placement, but for me the goalscoring instinct is being where you need to be at the right time. 

Gotta agree with Grums here. I started at striker on a youth team years ago as one of the very few experienced players in the league. Ran riot attacking, but consistently drilled the shots at the keepers. Practiced like hell to take the angles and shoot to the corners, but when you bust through the defence and are bearing down on the keeper, the old instinct all to often kicks in and you pound it into the keepers breadbasket. It is instinct exactly because you don’t think about it, you just do it…and if Connoll hasn’t developed it by now, there’s genuine concern he won’t.

It's definitely easier to teach someone how to get in to the right areas than teach them the natural composure to finish chances in a game situation tbh.