The New Raith Rovers Thread

33 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Have to admit to being a wee bit concerned by the assistant manager situation.  Partly because there seems to be so sign of anyone coming in, and partly because Agnews departure coincided with Goodwillies contract being terminated.

Is there a link between Agnew and DG or is that speculation on your part ??

41 minutes ago, TxRover said:

40 normally gets you 8th place…30 is normally risking 10th.

We’re on 12 after 10, call it 1.2 per match…36 x 1.2 = 43.2.

Win lose win lose would give us 39 more points, and we’d end with 51.

Yep, but I wouldn't bet my life savings on it working out that way lol, and if we get more than 1 point from our next 3 games it'll be a minor miracle

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

4 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Was Freddy as bad as Morten fans are making out

I don't think he was as bad as all that, "worst player I've seen" stuff is going over the score, but he wasn't great. He had a couple of nice touches when he'd come fairly deep, he had one dreadful touch when we might've created something in the first half but he basically stumbled the ball out of play, but mostly he suffered from exactly the same issue Gullan and Connell have before him. We can't get our strikers into the game. 

I have some sympathy because Murray started Gullan and Frederiksen in by far the most orthodox front two we'd have had this season, and basically didn't get any time to see how it would work. That might've given either one of them the time and space to start doing striker-y things, but as soon as Gullan went off we reverted to the same one-up-top we've seen time and time again this season where it's the falsest of false nines, to the point that the lone forward might as well not exist. For what it's worth, I thought Connell was even worse than Frederiksen when he came on, but their performances are both symptoms of the issue, not causes. 

Have to admit to being a wee bit concerned by the assistant manager situation.  Partly because there seems to be so sign of anyone coming in, and partly because Agnews departure coincided with Goodwillies contract being terminated.

I’m struggling to see what the insinuation is here about Agnew and Goodwillie. Care to elaborate for those of us who’ve had a couple too many shandies and are a bit hard of thinking?

6 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

I’m struggling to see what the insinuation is here about Agnew and Goodwillie. Care to elaborate for those of us who’ve had a couple too many shandies and are a bit hard of thinking?

Apologies.  My fear is the possibility of not being able to afford an assistant manager on the basis of paying off Goodwillie.  

Probably unfounded, but that's a month now where we haven't had an assistant manager in the dugout.  

1 hour ago, Against The Machine said:

I don't think he was as bad as all that, "worst player I've seen" stuff is going over the score, but he wasn't great. He had a couple of nice touches when he'd come fairly deep, he had one dreadful touch when we might've created something in the first half but he basically stumbled the ball out of play, but mostly he suffered from exactly the same issue Gullan and Connell have before him. We can't get our strikers into the game. 

I have some sympathy because Murray started Gullan and Frederiksen in by far the most orthodox front two we'd have had this season, and basically didn't get any time to see how it would work. That might've given either one of them the time and space to start doing striker-y things, but as soon as Gullan went off we reverted to the same one-up-top we've seen time and time again this season where it's the falsest of false nines, to the point that the lone forward might as well not exist. For what it's worth, I thought Connell was even worse than Frederiksen when he came on, but their performances are both symptoms of the issue, not causes. 

I didn't think he was as bad as people were mentioning either tbh. It looked like a classic shock welcome to Scottish championship football performance for me tbh. I saw nothing that made me think he's going to tear the league up or anything but there were two or three moments when he did something that made me think that there's an acceptable championship player in there. 

The highlights or what highlights there were, didn't really show very much apart from once again our missed chances, a stonewall penalty for Morton that wasn't given but another one at the death that wasn't was. Frederiksen not being used to hold the ball up to bring others into play was lacking unless the highlights cut those bits out , and that pretty in pink away strip needs binned ............ its jinxed

5 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

The highlights or what highlights there were, didn't really show very much apart from once again our missed chances, a stonewall penalty for Morton that wasn't given but another one at the death that wasn't was. Frederiksen not being used to hold the ball up to bring others into play was lacking unless the highlights cut those bits out , and that pretty in pink away strip needs binned ............ its jinxed

Frederiksen would have had to win the ball first in order to bring others into play, which didn't happen.

The lack of experience in the defending and striking departments is going to haunt us this season. Yeah, there is scope to address that in the January transfer window, but it could be too little too late by then...

9 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

He wasn't that bad at all. He will have to get used to a lot of attention on the pitch and from opposing fans. Play to his strengths and he'll be an asset. 

8 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

After coming second best to a gang like Morton it doesn't, look like we'll  be anywhere near the top four,  because they won't be. 

"A gang" in what way? If you mean by direct and physical you could say that about most teams in this league.

8 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Apologies.  My fear is the possibility of not being able to afford an assistant manager on the basis of paying off Goodwillie.  

Probably unfounded, but that's a month now where we haven't had an assistant manager in the dugout.  

Agnew played almost every game for us so Murray rarely had an assistant in the dugout last season. Plus, up until last season he never had any assistant apart from a brief spell with Colin Cameron. Not saying he doesn't need one but maybe he doesn't feel it's a huge issue for him given he's used to working without one during the 90 minutes.

I think we have a good midfield, and our defence actually isn't too bad. Don't think we were in that much danger throughout the game yesterday, defending a lot of long balls from throws - until the penalty. 

We are light up top. Gullan is absolutely fine but we've struggled to keep him fit. Connell showed a good performance against Ayr and absolutely nothing else any other time. Is it inconsistency from a young guy, or is he mostly shite, but a good Killie lad who'll raise his game against Ayr?

Not sure what everyone is expecting from Frederiksen. Yesterday was largely an extension of his Cove cameo. There are some good bits in there, overlaid by what looks like a combination of rustiness and culture shock. The guy hasn't had any minutes in a long time before coming to us, and y'know - had that whole brain tumour thing to deal with as well. Like Nolan and O'Riordan (and Millen who has improved of late) he's going to have to learn on the job.

We do lack a nuisance presence, I think. Our forwards and attacking mids are very much 'technical and tidy' type players. We don't have a Weir type player who runs channels, upsets full backs and gambles on percentage balls. We need to also keep it a bit simpler at times (looking at you Dylan Easton).

I dunno, I don't think Murray is doing a bad job. We look generally a bit more solid than McGlynn's 2nd half of the season squad, and it's worth noting that for the obvious technical talent in the side he hasn't inherited a high flying team, instead he's taken over a team with relegation form, and in a sticky market we're in October still trying to get a squad together and match fit. 

Thing is, even a good defence (and I think our CBs generally look better than last season) can't be water tight, so if you aren't scoring goals you'll be hard pressed to get anything out of games. We've started games at a high tempo and when we've scored we've generally gone on to win, when we don't and the tempo drops and we start losing second balls that's where the issues start.

Maybe Frederiksen gets more match fit and shows a bit more (he was unlucky not to score yesterday), maybe we keep Gullan fit and he helps drag them team up the park. Maybe Vaughan comes back in a few weeks and gives us another, quality option. Hell, there is a good chance his knee goes in 5 minutes but if it doesn't, we all know He'll add that score out of nothing option.

Or maybe we continue to limp along going lose-win-lose and Murray has to reassess in January.

1 hour ago, renton said:

I think we have a good midfield, and our defence actually isn't too bad. Don't think we were in that much danger throughout the game yesterday, defending a lot of long balls from throws - until the penalty. 

We are light up top. Gullan is absolutely fine but we've struggled to keep him fit. Connell showed a good performance against Ayr and absolutely nothing else any other time. Is it inconsistency from a young guy, or is he mostly shite, but a good Killie lad who'll raise his game against Ayr?

Not sure what everyone is expecting from Frederiksen. Yesterday was largely an extension of his Cove cameo. There are some good bits in there, overlaid by what looks like a combination of rustiness and culture shock. The guy hasn't had any minutes in a long time before coming to us, and y'know - had that whole brain tumour thing to deal with as well. Like Nolan and O'Riordan (and Millen who has improved of late) he's going to have to learn on the job.

We do lack a nuisance presence, I think. Our forwards and attacking mids are very much 'technical and tidy' type players. We don't have a Weir type player who runs channels, upsets full backs and gambles on percentage balls. We need to also keep it a bit simpler at times (looking at you Dylan Easton).

I dunno, I don't think Murray is doing a bad job. We look generally a bit more solid than McGlynn's 2nd half of the season squad, and it's worth noting that for the obvious technical talent in the side he hasn't inherited a high flying team, instead he's taken over a team with relegation form, and in a sticky market we're in October still trying to get a squad together and match fit. 

Thing is, even a good defence (and I think our CBs generally look better than last season) can't be water tight, so if you aren't scoring goals you'll be hard pressed to get anything out of games. We've started games at a high tempo and when we've scored we've generally gone on to win, when we don't and the tempo drops and we start losing second balls that's where the issues start.

Maybe Frederiksen gets more match fit and shows a bit more (he was unlucky not to score yesterday), maybe we keep Gullan fit and he helps drag them team up the park. Maybe Vaughan comes back in a few weeks and gives us another, quality option. Hell, there is a good chance his knee goes in 5 minutes but if it doesn't, we all know He'll add that score out of nothing option.

Or maybe we continue to limp along going lose-win-lose and Murray has to reassess in January.

A fair review. I'm equally concerned that we just don't have players to create proper chances on a consistent basis. Ross offers nothing in the team right now when he's fit and not rolling around on his arse from minimal contact. Connolly chips in from time to time but not nearly consistent enough in his performances, Easton shoots when it should be a pass and passes when he should shoot. Spencer is coming back onto his game but is sitting deeper in midfield which makes him less effective and allowing Brown to push on and press players, but he's not creative either. Stanton is the only one on a bit of consistent form. Our fullbacks have had no one to aim for if they get forward and cross the ball as Connell and Gullan are just not aerially dominent and we're hoping that Frederiksen is that man but time will tell. 

We're a team built for possession football and short, smart passes, but we're trying to be a more direct attacking side and it isn't working with what we have.

My worry is we seem to have nobody, bar Stanton, who seems to be able to drive us forward with a run. It's a lot of passing and sometimes we create something but we don't have a winger who wants to drive at the opposition. Even the full backs are naturally defensive. Its means unless our passing game is on top form, like Cove last week, then we are easy to defend against just now.