The New Raith Rovers Thread

I'm going to say it. The decision to shoot into the South Stand in the first half is a sound move by Murray. 

We ara all aware that if we don't score first, we lose. Shooting into the home end first is looking like a smart move to try and get us off to a fast start and last two games, it's worked. 

A thing i’ve seen a few times in different posts is people talking about home fans being in the north stand.
The traditionalist in me is against it but i can see the benefits; close to the hub (once built), quicker exit after the games etc. It got me thinking about a few other things if this were to happen… could we switch dugouts? Goodwin made the change at Aberdeen so he could be nearer the linesman to get in his ear and potentially give them an edge. Could a new club shop be located in the hub if we were to switch sides?

I thought the hub was more for the daily activities of the community through the week with the added novelty I suppose that it's loosely part of starks park. 

I’ve not looked too much into it but i’d be surprised if that’s the case that there would be much use of it at the weekend. Surely they would be ways to accommodate fans and generate more revenue for the club or SSP.

3 hours ago, RRFC1989 said:

A thing i’ve seen a few times in different posts is people talking about home fans being in the north stand.
The traditionalist in me is against it but i can see the benefits; close to the hub (once built), quicker exit after the games etc. It got me thinking about a few other things if this were to happen… could we switch dugouts? Goodwin made the change at Aberdeen so he could be nearer the linesman to get in his ear and potentially give them an edge. Could a new club shop be located in the hub if we were to switch sides?

When I first started going in the late 80s we were on the north terrace, think it may have just been for a season or two which co incided with me starting to go to games. Perhaps someone can confirm?

1 minute ago, bobbykdy said:

When I first started going in the late 80s we were on the north terrace, think it may have just been for a season or two which co incided with me starting to go to games. Perhaps someone can confirm?

Yeah that was definitely the case. I started going around the same time and I remember in particular a game against Airdrie where they won promotion and they had a huge support in the South terrace. The season Nicholl took over from Connor we were definitely in the North terrace. That would have been 90/91 I think. 

If we did swap ends I suppose you could also use the railway stand.  Those that want to watch from the side but don't like having a 100 year old post in the way would be happy or even have it as a family stand. 

Alternatively put away supports in there and it would create a bit more atmosphere. Although there would be a bottle neck at full time with both sets of supporters essentially in a car park together. 

Talking of the ground I wonder if there is anything can be done with the pointless steep bank on pratt Street that has one set of stairs and some plants. It's an awkward space that I just feel could be better utilised in some way but I don't know what. 

Edited by pub car king

9 minutes ago, Langtounlaud said:

When I first started going, we were in the North Stand. I remember the old railway sleepers and the ash and the old red brick toilets up the back that leaked down the terracing. Can't remember when we moved to the South side though 

I am sure we were back on the South by the start of the '91 season at the latest, have vague memories of Daz picking up an empty Ribena carton at the side of the pitch at that end then pretending to take a drink during a particularly warm summers match v Morton.

57 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

Are you not just remembering the fans swapping ends depending where we were shooting into? Simpler times. There was a bit of aggro with away fans at the bottle neck areas but nothing too drastic.

Think that stopped around 1990 or so and they put a wee fence up at the corner flag. Meant the away fans had to run the gauntlet of home fans at the wall as they made their way down Pratt St after the game😆

Edited by pantene proV

21 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

Are you not just remembering the fans swapping ends depending where we were shooting into? Simpler times. There was a bit of aggro with away fans at the bottle neck areas but nothing too drastic.

Think that stopped around 1990 or so and they put a wee fence up at the corner flag. Meant the away fans had to run the gauntlet of home fans at the wall as they made their way down Pratt St after the game😆

Possible.

57 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

I am sure we were back on the South by the start of the '91 season at the latest, have vague memories of Daz picking up an empty Ribena carton at the side of the pitch at that end then pretending to take a drink during a particularly warm summers match v Morton.

Yeah it was. The 91/92 season saw us go back to the South terrace and the introduction of the navy blue home tops. 

5 hours ago, RRFC1989 said:

Wouldn't be against it as the South stand seats have never felt like 'home' for me.  Hate the seated monstrosities, much preferred the terracing, but rules are rules. Would make sense to be in the North stand.  Get the railway seats for those of us who prefer to be at the side of the pitch.  Next to the hub thingy for access (whatever it is actually for?).  Also the new multi storey facility that is being built into the North stand. Fans could use the facilities for dinner/pint etc before the game.  I would never contemplate going into the main stand, as I like to actually see the pitch.

32 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Wouldn't be against it as the South stand seats have never felt like 'home' for me.  Hate the seated monstrosities, much preferred the terracing, but rules are rules. Would make sense to be in the North stand.  Get the railway seats for those of us who prefer to be at the side of the pitch.  Next to the hub thingy for access (whatever it is actually for?).  Also the new multi storey facility that is being built into the North stand. Fans could use the facilities for dinner/pint etc before the game.  I would never contemplate going into the main stand, as I like to actually see the pitch.

It would be strange to sit in the away end. Done it last season in the 4 all draw against Hamilton and was different. In terms of the hub if they are building boxes then you won't get to see the pitch for drinks before the game as SP is a designated sporting ground and legislation means 2 hours before kick off you can't drink and view the pitch. It would have to have blinds closed over.

I sat there for the same game and thought it was actually a better view than from the south stand.
Obviously the view of the pitch is the same but looking at the south end with the main stand there is a better view than looking at the empty Pratt St side.

I also started going in the late 80s and it was definitely north terracing at that time.

In terms of the hub thingy, the plans on the council website show that the top floor is on the same level as the back of the stand, but it doesn’t show any boxes where you can see the pitch. The only bit that appears to be connected to the stand is a stairwell.