The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, Raithie said:

f**k me, I'm surprised your brain hasn't exploded the amount of overthinking you do. It's pretty simple, you play your strongest starting 11 and if that's O'Riordan and Lang then so be it. 

No, you don’t just do that…and your strongest 11 vary week to week anyway. We also have no idea if O’Riordan or Nolan would pair better with Lang, or even if Lang returning would be better than either of them…I be astounded if he wasn’t, but…

If football was as easy as “playing your strongest starting 11” week to week, we wouldn’t be hunting for and paying managers like we all do. That’s the joy of forums like this, even the blindest squirrels here find nuts sometimes, because we all see parts of the big picture the manager juggles every day, and ask questions and ponder meanings of all sorts of shite. Remember, how we treat loanees is noticed, and influences if we get loanees going forward…how we treat players is noticed, and influences if players will consider signing for us going forward…it’s all a big juggling game, and us pundits can enjoy a pull on the wheel now and then, the manager is doing the for real daily.

So what is “overthinking”? Is thinking about overthinking overthinking it? Crikey, I need a drink!

3 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

What's also interesting in Murray's interview is that Lang and Vaughan are not far away and is looking to arrange a bounce game for Vaughan in the near future.

It was interestingly phrased. Suggested Vaughan will be playing to a minor extent by months end, and Lang should be on the pitch in early November.

Noted that O’Riordan also does Pilates, which obvious puts him above our budget!😉

Edited by TxRover

35 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Murray seems to be saying he'll be away back to Crewe in January.

Not what I took from it. He said he wants to send him back down south a better player, didn’t say when unless I missed it 🤷🏻‍♂️

18 minutes ago, spot on said:

Not what I took from it. He said he wants to send him back down south a better player, didn’t say when unless I missed it 🤷🏻‍♂️

It was not said explicitly, but the loan is up in January and he also didn’t address the possibility of an extension of it.

It was not said explicitly, but the loan is up in January and he also didn’t address the possibility of an extension of it.
He doesn't really need to at this stage. A decision by crewe is unlikely to be taken until closer to the time his deal is up also. He's ours until January at which point hopefully both teams can come to an agreement to extend it.

I can't see lang or Vaughan being rushed back and it may be the case that they play a few bounce games, get on the bench for a few games before actually getting any minutes in a competitive game. Time will tell with that but its encouraging that, that is what we're talking about now rather than them being months away.

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

Murray seems to be saying he'll be away back to Crewe in January.

8 minutes ago, TxRover said:

That's what I was saying, no hint of an extension.

If we can get Lang and Vaughan back playing something like midway through the second quarter that'll be a great boost - I'd be hoping we could then start to mount a challenge for the top four.

Edited by Raith_Raver

That's what I was saying, no hint of an extension.

If we can get Lang and Vaughan back playing something like midway through the second quarter that'll be a great boost - I'd be hoping we could then start to mount a challenge for the top four.
You shouldn't really be pinning any hope on two players coming back from acl injuries. In Vaughan's case, he's more likely to break down but both will probably pick up a few injuries in the supportive muscles etc as they adapt to a full time schedule with it.

Vaughan and lang will be back within weeks of each other which is a nice selection problem to consider. 

Lang seems to have raced back from his injury but Vaughan quite understandably has taken a lot longer will have been out about 14 months by my reckoning. 

18 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

I expect a 3/4 fit vaughan will be better than what we currently have, and it shouldn't take him long to get up to full match fitness. Lang can only iprove things at the other end. Who knows what contribution the big forward will make.

Very little if he never gets a permit.

28 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

I expect a 3/4 fit vaughan will be better than what we currently have, and it shouldn't take him long to get up to full match fitness. Lang can only iprove things at the other end. Who knows what contribution the big forward will make.

We need to stop expecting Vaughan to save our season. It may take him several weeks to get anywhere the fitness and confidence to perform, but there is always that fear that he will break down again. Fingers crossed he comes back and his knees hold up.

Vaughan is going to save our season.

Only joking. I’m in two minds about it, sounds like a bounce game week after next and he’ll start to be involved. I feel like we’ll all be waiting for the inevitable when he’s back involved so god only knows how he feels about it all. Special talent and I’m unsure I’ve willed anyone to remain fit more.

Excited to have Spencer and Matthews back training and available I’d like to see them back in beside Stanton asap.

10 minutes ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

Vaughan is going to save our season.

Only joking. I’m in two minds about it, sounds like a bounce game week after next and he’ll start to be involved. I feel like we’ll all be waiting for the inevitable when he’s back involved so god only knows how he feels about it all. Special talent and I’m unsure I’ve willed anyone to remain fit more.

Excited to have Spencer and Matthews back training and available I’d like to see them back in beside Stanton asap.

Feeling about the same. Great to have Vaughan back, probably as a super-sub role for the foreseeable. I can't see how he improves what we have when we're not creating good chances. If the new lad gets a work permit, and not expecting one soon going by other teams summer experiences, he's probably weeks away from fitness too as he won't be able to train officially so we'll be relying on Gullan and Connell for a while yet. Maybe Connolly, Easton and Ross can step up and create better chances of take some themselves. Easton feels more likely than the others