The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Face facts. Ross Millen is garbage and that's never going to change. 

You can identify facts? 😮

Here's the fact you can't grasp - my post wasn't about whether or not Millen is "garbage", it was a comparison between King's tackle and his.

You and Bumkin are thick.

Don't think any of the defenders or midfielders we lost would make a difference tbh (other than Tumilty).  There's a reason why 3 of last seasons defenders are in League 1, and one retired.

The problem is the same as the problem for most of last season.  Its up front.  The midfield could perhaps do a bit better in terms of delivery into the box, but I've seen plenty poor finishing to suggest where the real problem lies.  For the 3rd season in a row, we don't have a quality out and out striker.

27 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

You can identify facts? 😮

Here's the fact you can't grasp - my post wasn't about whether or not Millen is "garbage", it was a comparison between King's tackle and his.

You and Bumkin are thick.

I had moved on to your comment about putting down a Rovers player. If he's crap, I'll say he's crap. 

45 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Irrelevant. The forward had nothing to do with the challenge, it was wild whether it was Diaz or MacKay.

I imagine if King had come up against Mackay he would have pissed himself laughing at the sheer awfulness of his opponent.

But to suggest that the opponent is nothing to do with why a player puts in a desperate challenge or not is naive. 

47 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I imagine if King had come up against Mackay he would have pissed himself laughing at the sheer awfulness of his opponent.

But to suggest that the opponent is nothing to do with why a player puts in a desperate challenge or not is naive. 

Yea, that's somewhere in the ether 🙄

50 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I had moved on to your comment about putting down a Rovers player. If he's crap, I'll say he's crap. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Face facts. Ross Millen is garbage and that's never going to change. 

I have to face what you claim to be a fact now. 😐

If we have to accept everything you say about the Rovers the South Stand would be like a lynch mob.

3 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

I have to face what you claim to be a fact now. 😐

If we have to accept everything you say about the Rovers the South Stand would be like a lynch mob.

If/when we get turned over by Cove this Saturday it probably won't be far off. 

If we’re honest, Millen and Dick have both generally been bottom to mid-table Championship fullbacks this year. Neither Millen nor Dick is a superstar, but they both have up and down games, which is why they don’t play at a higher level. They are generally competent, but not outstanding, and both suffer in comparison to the luxury of comparison to Tumilty and MacDonald over the past few years.

I think, of the two, Dick is the physically and technically superior player, and could potentially improve more, but they both are what you often expect at this level of football, pretty decent players with flaws in their game that prevent them from playing at a higher level.

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

If we’re honest, Millen and Dick have both generally been bottom to mid-table Championship fullbacks this year. Neither Millen nor Dick is a superstar, but they both have up and down games, which is why they don’t play at a higher level. They are generally competent, but not outstanding, and both suffer in comparison to the luxury of comparison to Tumilty and MacDonald over the past few years.

I think, of the two, Dick is the physically and technically superior player, and could potentially improve more, but they both are what you often expect at this level of football, pretty decent players with flaws in their game that prevent them from playing at a higher level.

Good post. I think Dick is definitely the better of the two, and assists in attacking more too. I don't think Millen is "garbage" , just average and maybe a bit below what we need to challenge.

I hope O'Riordan can stay for the whole season if possible - as others say he and Lang should make a great partnership. I wonder if Nolan can play RB 🤔

Edited by Raith_Raver

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

Good post. I think Dick is definitely the better of the two, and assists in attacking more too. I don't think Millen is "garbage" , just average and maybe a bit below what we need to challenge.

I hope O'Riordan can stay for the whole season if possible - as others say he and Lang should make a great partnership. I wonder if Nolan can play RB 🤔

O’Riordan seems almost certain to return south after December, based upon the questions/comments we saw, and the fact the team are leaking goals worse than us.

37 minutes ago, TxRover said:

O’Riordan seems almost certain to return south after December, based upon the questions/comments we saw, and the fact the team are leaking goals worse than us.

In a video he did for Crewe he seemed to indicate he was expecting to return in January. But I would suppose he's going on the current agreement between the clubs. I think Crewe have more CBs than we haveand he's down the pecking order. I'm hopeful rather than optimistic.

Edited by Raith_Raver

2 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

In a video he did for Crewe he seemed to indicate he was expecting to return in January. But I would suppose he's going on the current agreement between the clubs. I think Crewe have more CBs than we haveand he's down the pecking order. I'm hopeful rather than optimistic.

Crewe started brightly, but are now leaking goals and costing themselves wins. They have several CB’s, but O’Riordan was put into the first team late last season and impressed them. They know he needs more time, hence the loan to us, where our CB crisis almost assured playing time. Given that the Scottish Championship is broadly comparable to English League Two for level of play, I’d expect the scouts and/or manager at Crewe to be up here in December looking at how the laddie is doing in person. With Lang coming back, they could well be concerned that O’Riordan might start getting less playing time…and it might already be happening by then. Sadly, I feel certain he’ll leave in January.

11 hours ago, TxRover said:

Crewe started brightly, but are now leaking goals and costing themselves wins. They have several CB’s, but O’Riordan was put into the first team late last season and impressed them. They know he needs more time, hence the loan to us, where our CB crisis almost assured playing time. Given that the Scottish Championship is broadly comparable to English League Two for level of play, I’d expect the scouts and/or manager at Crewe to be up here in December looking at how the laddie is doing in person. With Lang coming back, they could well be concerned that O’Riordan might start getting less playing time…and it might already be happening by then. Sadly, I feel certain he’ll leave in January.

If Handsome Tom is back I'd hope to see him play WITH O'Riordan, not instead of.

1 hour ago, Brashy's Boots said:

If Handsome Tom is back I'd hope to see him play WITH O'Riordan, not instead of.

It’s a conundrum. Nolan is signed by us and O’Riordan is loaned to us, both are benefiting from the playing time, and both look capable at this level, although O’Riordan seems the superior of the two right now. When Lang returns, at first he will be playing a limited amount, so we can play him for the last 15-25 minutes with either one to assess chemistry. After that, we have to decide on either aiding the development of a loanee or a signing. The natural move would be to sideline O’Riordan, unless Crewe offer him to us for the remainder of the season. However, then we’re left with having a partially developed Nolan, who is out of contract in May, that we have to decide on re-signing or not for next year despite having handicapped his evaluation and development (consider Big Dave…he was always hanging just behind the starters, mainly because he wasn’t getting enough playing time). Also, would Nolan happily re-sign with us If he gets sidelined from January on to allow O’Riordan to start…or will he look afield like MacKay did? Nolan is 23, and needs to become a regular starter if he wants to advance in the game…the same age as MacKay last year. It’s not impossible that, with a poor decision, we could start the offseason with Lang and Masson at CB going forward, so a year would have been wasted. I think we need to thank O’Riordan, and ship him home, unless they’ll sell him to us…but could we even afford that?

22 minutes ago, TxRover said:

It’s a conundrum. Nolan is signed by us and O’Riordan is loaned to us, both are benefiting from the playing time, and both look capable at this level, although O’Riordan seems the superior of the two right now. When Lang returns, at first he will be playing a limited amount, so we can play him for the last 15-25 minutes with either one to assess chemistry. After that, we have to decide on either aiding the development of a loanee or a signing. The natural move would be to sideline O’Riordan, unless Crewe offer him to us for the remainder of the season. However, then we’re left with having a partially developed Nolan, who is out of contract in May, that we have to decide on re-signing or not for next year despite having handicapped his evaluation and development (consider Big Dave…he was always hanging just behind the starters, mainly because he wasn’t getting enough playing time). Also, would Nolan happily re-sign with us If he gets sidelined from January on to allow O’Riordan to start…or will he look afield like MacKay did? Nolan is 23, and needs to become a regular starter if he wants to advance in the game…the same age as MacKay last year. It’s not impossible that, with a poor decision, we could start the offseason with Lang and Masson at CB going forward, so a year would have been wasted. I think we need to thank O’Riordan, and ship him home, unless they’ll sell him to us…but could we even afford that?

f**k me, I'm surprised your brain hasn't exploded the amount of overthinking you do. It's pretty simple, you play your strongest starting 11 and if that's O'Riordan and Lang then so be it. 

We need to wait and see what level lang is at before he starts every week. It could be that his injury has taken its toll and he isn't the same player. O'riordan starts if fit though. He's our best cb and I hope Murray has already sounded crewe out about keeping him for the season.