The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aren't most modern floodlights LED based which don't use much energy? Different if its still old incandescent bulbs of course but I know that the ones at "KDM Group East End Park" were replaced not long ago.

The floodlights are indeed LED, but there's a few incandescent bulbs left. Most of them seem to sit near me.

Did we not get told when the floodlights were being replaced that the hourly cost was going from about £100 an hour to £10 an hour. 

Also there must be a fair amount of cash coming into the club daily if the pitch is constantly booked out, obviously some of the bookings during the day will be  for the team but the club must be getting at least £500 a day from bookings.

15 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Did we not get told when the floodlights were being replaced that the hourly cost was going from about £100 an hour to £10 an hour. 

Also there must be a fair amount of cash coming into the club daily if the pitch is constantly booked out, obviously some of the bookings during the day will be  for the team but the club must be getting at least £500 a day from bookings.

Starks Park Properties will be raking it in... whether that is the club or not is not so clear cut.

Have to admit, the relative calmness I felt a month ago was based on an assumption we'd have a few more bodies in, instead of being 2 lighter.  I'd assumed we'd at least bring in another young loan signing.

There is a growing chunk of pressure on an unknown striker who is yet to sign,  and a permanently injured Lewis Vaughan.  

I do find the signing of McBride to look quite strange based in first impressions.  I don't think we've seen anywhere near enough of Ethan Ross, but felt we really missed him on Saturday.  I can't believe we couldn't get at least the same from the likes of Mitchell.

Edited by CALDERON

A couple of things that have me a wee bit worried as we approach the end of the first quarter:

-we’ve managed one clean sheet in the league so far. For one of the lower-scoring teams in the league, that’s making it even harder for us to get results;

-it’s early doors yet, but looking at the table and Saturday’s results, the Championship seems to be starting to split into a clearly-defined top five and bottom five like it did last season – and we may be on the wrong side of the fence. If that’s the case, then the next three games are crucial for putting a bit of clear air between us and those behind us and starting to look up the table.

Having said that, given where we were as a team at the end of last season and start of this season, if you told me we’d be sixth after eight games I’d have taken it. It may yet be a frustrating season, but this is far from the worst Rovers side I’ve seen in my lifetime.

28 minutes ago, Kuma Power said:

It may yet be a frustrating season, but this is far from the worst Rovers side I’ve seen in my lifetime.

Aye, I think we're not far from being a decent team. After Saturday Owen Coyle said we'll take points off any team in the league.

56 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Aye, I think we're not far from being a decent team. After Saturday Owen Coyle said we'll take points off any team in the league.

I feel so much better now that Owen Coyle said we will take points from other teams.

In terms of where we are we are a right back, experienced centre half and that elusive striker away from being a good side. 

In terms of IM signings I can't say anything about the 3rd choice keeper, Millen isn't good enough, Nolan okay but could be better. O'Riordan very good but would be even better with experience beside him. Brown, no issue good player, Easton, has his moments but there is a very good player in there. McBride pointless signing, no better than what we had, Connell again pointless other than adding to the squad. Ngwenya again not really required as he doesn't appear to be getting a chance and Young is probably as good. The last three add to squad depth but not good enough to be considered 1st team starters. 

Saturday was the first time I've seen us in competitive action, so can't really comment on other games this season,  but what I from what I saw,  stronger team such as partick or Inverness would have given us a right doing. I've genuinely never been so angry after a rovers game in a while.

27 minutes ago, philpy said:

Saturday was the first time I've seen us in competitive action, so can't really comment on other games this season,  but what I from what I saw,  stronger team such as partick or Inverness would have given us a right doing. I've genuinely never been so angry after a rovers game in a while.

If this is the first competitive action you've seen how do you know how strong Partick and Inverness are? In fact they didn't give us a doing in the games we played them, and in fact Queen's Park have beaten Partick and had the better of a draw at Kessock.

What is your assessment actually based on?

41 minutes ago, philpy said:

Well, neither of those sides gave us a doing in the competitive games you didn't see, and Queens are above one of them in the league table.

Saturday was not great, but if that's the angriest you've been in a while I can only assume you haven't watched any of the last 10 months.

I think this is going to be an extremely frustrating season, and I'd be lying if I wasn't worried. For most of the defeats we could say we were unlucky not to grab a point, but when you are consistently on the wrong side of those margins then something is up.

On Saturday, I think it was mostly down to Easton and Connollly not having individiual good games, and without Ross that means our two creative outlets were largely ineffective. When they have good games, we have done pretty well and a couple of the earlier defeats could be put down to the defence bedding in after the season started.

In some ways we are largely the same as last season, some individuals are better, some worse but still largely at the mercy of last season's shortcoming: A consistently effective Centre Forward. Connell showed vs. Ayr a very accomplised Striker performance and without a doubt that was our best performance. Against Hamilton and Morton Gullan supplied a busy enough performance that while less traditional still helped pull us up the pitch. Against ICT on the other hand, Connell was statue-esque and he got little change out of the QP backline either.

I don't think we are a truly awful team, but I do agree with the general consensus around Millen and McBride - albeit in the latter's case I'd contend that if he contributes nothing he'll only have matched Zanatta's likely input and probably cheaper too.

Connell is a young guy and will give us inconsistent performances, Gullan is more experienced overall but hasn't had a huge run of games at this level and isn't going to play the same type of game. Vaughan, if he stayed fit would at least give us another option for when Easton isn't at the races and with a real goal threat but I don't suppose any of us are feeling that hopeful. That puts a lot on Frederikson, when his permit or whatever finally comes through to provide an attacking outlet that makes it a little easier to create good chances. He might not be very technically good but so long as he is effective that will give us an outlet.

So yeah, not a great first quarter, despite actually enjoying some of our football the team isn't delivering and we need pointds from Cove and Arbroath or we are going to start looking pretty ropey early into the 2nd quarter....

Saturday sees us at the end of the first 1/4, a win gets us to 12 points, hypotheticaly if these results are replicated over the the season we'll end up on 48 points, but finish first 1/4 on 9 points and that were to get replicated then 36 points is the squeaky bum scenario

Surely we're a better team than that, even with some of the duds thats been signed

Saturday sees us at the end of the first 1/4, a win gets us to 12 points, hypotheticaly if these results are replicated over the the season we'll end up on 48 points, but finish first 1/4 on 9 points and that were to get replicated then 36 points is the squeaky bum scenario
Surely we're a better team than that, even with some of the duds thats been signed

Q1 is finished. The home game to Cove on Saturday is the first game of Q2. The Arbroath game from Q1 was rescheduled, thus only the 8 games at the end of Week 9.

79905c4a91049cb88e4eeff0bde2885e.jpg

6 minutes ago, WSDR 88 said:

Q1 is finished. The home game to Cove on Saturday is the first game of Q2. The Arbroath game from Q1 was rescheduled, thus only the 8 games at the end of Week 9.

79905c4a91049cb88e4eeff0bde2885e.jpg

I'm basing that on 9 games a 1/4 , just means we play Arbroath twice in the 2nd 1/4 and dont face Cove again till the 3rd, the hypothetical scenario remains the same 

And looking at that table if Cove and Morten get a win tonight we're down to 8th, highly unlikely but could happen

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

2 hours ago, renton said:

I think this is going to be an extremely frustrating season, and I'd be lying if I wasn't worried. For most of the defeats we could say we were unlucky not to grab a point, but when you are consistently on the wrong side of those margins then something is up... etc

More or less my perception so far. I can't get the idea that "something is up 'though - what could be up other than not getting breaks, having a sub standard forward line and the fairly regular defensive brain freeze ? That explains our situation for me.

10 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

More or less my perception so far. I can't get the idea that "something is up 'though - what could be up other than not getting breaks, having a sub standard forward line and the fairly regular defensive brain freeze ? That explains our situation for me.

I’d have to agree with this. If you take Saturday’s game as a prime example of where our season has been. We lost by one goal… Conceding once  in an away game to a side higher up the table isn’t a huge issue, it’s the fact that we can’t score at the other end that’s the problem. We have plenty creativity in the side, we just can’t hold the ball up or finish when the ball is in the box.

Its frustrating, because a couple of games we haven't been far away - Dundee at home was one mistake - Partick away a couple of early mistakes. There's definitely room for improvement there, and hopefully if they get this big lad in up top, that may provide another option up front. We're getting players back from injury as well in the coming weeks. Also think it would be good for the manager to get in an assistant in ASAP - give him a bit of support, but maybe a different perspective as well. 

Think folk are getting a wee bit worked up. A few pieces of the jigsaw to fall into place still, but I'm not seeing the total doom and gloom yet that others are. 

16 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I’d have to agree with this. If you take Saturday’s game as a prime example of where our season has been. We lost by one goal… Conceding once  in an away game to a side higher up the table isn’t a huge issue, it’s the fact that we can’t score at the other end that’s the problem. We have plenty creativity in the side, we just can’t hold the ball up or finish when the ball is in the box.

On Saturday it wasn't even our finishing. We had Stanton hitting the inside of the post with a beauty and then two headers cleared off the line. The problem was more that we created not a lot else. We looked threatening the first 15 minutes and last 15 minutes but did pretty much nothing for the 60 minutes in between.