The New Raith Rovers Thread

31 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

One thing though, the kick off routine of overloading the left and pumping the ball down the line and out of play can do one. Both teams were at it yesterday and it was 100% of the time, a waste

I was irritated by that too. Actually, I thought Ayr used it more effectively.

Nothing inaccurate in my original question. Most of it is/was bellends online with little else to do with their lives. 
So you're a bellend with little else to do with your life? Just asking because you're posting on this site in the same way that everyone else is[emoji1745]

On 16/09/2022 at 08:40, Against The Machine said:

These two posts dovetail nicely. Look at the strikers that have arrived into the division this summer. There's been about three of them, and one is that duff trialist we had who has ended up at Arbroath two months later down the line. 

It's easy to say "Sign a striker!" but there simply aren't many. Morton opted not to gamble on a work permit previously and probably regret it now, we presumably pursued another option that didn't come through and have had to go offshore to find someone now. 

There's been this weird paradoxical chat about whether or not the money is there, but it's almost not even relevant. The players aren't there. In a normal summer, you'd look at the clubs around us, look at the strikers they've signed and go "Why couldn't we get him? Were we outbid? Were we not quick enough?" but there aren't really any names that jump out. Maybe Anton Dowds who went to Thistle, but that was arranged months ago, well before McGlynn left. 

Other than that, you've got Akinyemi at Ayr who's the obvious standout in the division but we know that non-league English market is a total gamble. He looks brilliant now, but nobody could say that the day he arrived. Steven Boyd? Jai Quitongo? Both picked out of League One, neither particularly good. 

One look around the threads you have Morton, Hamilton, Cove, Arbroath and Raith fans all shouting for weeks (months?) for the elusive striker signing.

It's slim pickings out there.

I normally try and keep up with P&B during the day but didn’t manage yesterday, so very funny to see the general mood across Saturday afternoon  

From the “what’s the point in even playing the game..? prediction when the team was announced, to the;

“Here we go again, we’ll lose 4-2 now”theory when we threw the lead away. 

Not a criticism at all, as I was in the exact same boat, and shows you how difficult it is to predict anything in this league. I do think we wouldn’t have won that game from that 2-2 position last season though, so there might be something to be optimistic about here    

I’m still moving wildly between thinking we’ll be okay and worrying about us this season. 

There’s loads of good stuff in the team as has been covered, but also a few glaring issues, but if we can go on a good run, we could be in with a shout of the top four, I’m not convinced we’ll get that positive run, but who knows? 

Really, really enjoyed yesterday’s game, with the only concern the fact Ian Murray didn’t look to change it when things looked to be going awry in that second half. It ended up being fine regardless, but it was still strange, especially when he’s perfectly happy to make loads of wild substitutions when we’re a goal down but momentum is with us. 

Anyway, looks like we now have a Faroese frost giant signing for us, despite certain folk saying that was probably a myth, so I look forward to welcoming him into the team soon and celebrating his goals/getting furious at him losing headers to five foot 10 opponents. 

(Delete as applicable)

15 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Signing to be announced this week. The work permit is almost granted but due to the bank holiday it might be delayed until later in the week. He'll be training with the club now though and desperate to get kick started.

Are you allowed to work (train) without a work permit?

3 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Na I’m not buying that. If he got injured training for us before he’d signed then he’s be screwed. 

I'm sure we'd be keen on him getting up to speed as soon as possible considering he's been without a team since the end of last season. If we can get him doing some fitness work etc before his permit gives through then it will mean we have to wait less time before we can get him on the pitch. 

Na I’m not buying that. If he got injured training for us before he’d signed then he’s be screwed. 
You've just described every player who has ever went on trial at a club. We obviously have assurances that he will have his work permit or I doubt he would be flying in today.