The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

First half of last season was very good and we had a cup win so not a total disaster, we know what caused mainly our second half slump. It’s not failure having a transition season I just have little appetite for Murray ball at the moment and what he says isn’t reflecting on the park, still haven’t got a ticket for tomorrow and longer I leave it probably won’t 

First half of the season counts for nothing as does the cup win.  To be in a title race in December,  and finishing 5th in April , goes to show how bad that team were last season - and it was evident before Goodwillie signed.  Mcglynn gave an interview in January saying "You can see where the problems are, our strikers dinnae score goals".  

Now of course that was last season, but my point stands that Murray wasn't coming into a club that was rosey.  It may take a transitional season to get us in the right direction.  If folk can't be arsed with that then that's understandable, but I don't think its necessarily a failure.

25 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

First half of the season counts for nothing as does the cup win.  To be in a title race in December,  and finishing 5th in April , goes to show how bad that team were last season - and it was evident before Goodwillie signed.  Mcglynn gave an interview in January saying "You can see where the problems are, our strikers dinnae score goals".  

Now of course that was last season, but my point stands that Murray wasn't coming into a club that was rosey.  It may take a transitional season to get us in the right direction.  If folk can't be arsed with that then that's understandable, but I don't think its necessarily a failure.

No I think that’s too dismissive to say cup win counts for nothing, it was a good day out for the fans and first half was very positive before the wheels fell off, there was the nucleus of a decent team at the club but too many have been allowed to leave and a few dodgy signings made ( reading between the lines it looks like reducing the wage bill) but yeah I cannae be arsed with it at the moment,  feels like Grant Murray era all over again 

28 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

You never ever rated a manager who dragged the club up from the 3rd tier twice and consolidated in the 2nd tier, twice? And gave the club their 2 highest placed finishes since the 90s?

I have my issues with last season, and the time was right to move on, but I'm astonished to hear a Raith Rovers fan say they "never ever" rated John McGlynn.

Yeah can’t get my head around that either plus we played at Hampden in a Scottish cup semi under Mcglynn.

54 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I was happy with McGlynn, I'm happy he's gone and I'm happy with Murray so far.

I feel a bit of an outcast on here.

I’m in the same boat. I’ve rated McGlynn before and there’s no arguing he’s our most successful manager since 2000 but in the management game you need to keep things fresh and be innovative, adapt to the latest trends.

I don’t think a MKI McGlynn works for us 2nd time around, he went to Celtic and seemed in particular to have learned from Brendan Rodgers in terms of style and going about his business, last season though it seemed like he was out of ideas and it looked like he was going a bit stale.

Being a stickler for video analysis for example was probably a big advantage when not everybody was looking at it, now every club does. I did worry last season he was losing his edge somewhat.

Edited by Enigma

17 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I’m in the same boat. I’ve rated McGlynn before and there’s no arguing he’s our most successful manager since 2000 but in the management game you need to keep things fresh and be innovative, adapt to the latest trends.

I don’t think a MKI McGlynn works for us 2nd time around, he went to Celtic and seemed in particular to have learned from Brendan Rodgers in terms of style and going about his business, last season though it seemed like he was out of ideas and it looked like he was going a bit stale.

Being a stickler for video analysis for example was probably a big advantage when not everybody was looking at it, now every club does. I did worry last season he was losing his edge somewhat.

I think thats fair, you can see a clear change in approach from stint 1 to 2 from McGlynn. Some of our football in the first championship season was brilliant. Look at the goals we scored v Dunfermline in the 5-1 for example and 5-0 v Morton and even last season, we played some good stuff but we just collapsed like a flan in a cupboard. He or Paul Smith just didn't know what to do to revive us after that, either through personnel or tactical changes, January was the big nail in the coffin if not the last.

It's to McGlynn's credit that he learned lessons and changed his approach to the game. I do think he stayed with us a season too long in his first spell, though when he did move his spells at Hearts and Livi were poor and short-lived. Working with Brendan Rodgers was an excellent opportunity to learn and McGlynn took it. To get anywhere in management again, which I think he wanted to return to despite a pretty secure job at Celtic, he needed to change his approach. He learned a lot and applied it well. 

However, he had to go. The collapse in form last year was simply inexcusable and would've had a lesser-regarded manager out the door in March. He had no idea how to turn it around it and that didn't inspire any confidence at all that he could do so this season. Not to mention costing the club money with some dreadful signings, particularly in the forward area. 

I am on the fence with Murray. Not particularly impressed with his signings, unimpressed with results and also frustrated with the time it's taken to sign a striker. But it's still early days and we have been through quite significant change. Murray was an appointment I was happy with and as it stands, there wasn't another candidate I wish we had gone for instead. Time will obviously tell. 

McGlynn was fine until exposed in the Championship second half. His basic plan was fine, but he lacked the players and the ability to adapt enough to succeed. I would have liked to have seen Paul Smith given a chance, but the two seem joined at the hip. Irregardless (that’ll chap some hides), last years Rovers team had significant structure flaws that IM inherited, and has not managed to patch up.

IM’s failure to ensure CB’s before allowing Bene, Big Dave and Frankie  to depart Is his bete noire, in my opinion. Retaining any of those three, for at least depth, would have mitigated the need for the early season scramble, and perhaps have allowed us to focus on, and find, a forward. That being said, IM isn’t doing that badly with the constraints of the team (and budget, perhaps?) and the competition. While we are all doom and gloom, I certainly believe that we aren’t in real trouble unless we reach Christmas in 8-10th place AND with a clear point separation from 7th+.

39 minutes ago, TxRover said:

McGlynn was fine until exposed in the Championship second half. His basic plan was fine, but he lacked the players and the ability to adapt enough to succeed. I would have liked to have seen Paul Smith given a chance, but the two seem joined at the hip. Irregardless (that’ll chap some hides), last years Rovers team had significant structure flaws that IM inherited, and has not managed to patch up.

IM’s failure to ensure CB’s before allowing Bene, Big Dave and Frankie  to depart Is his bete noire, in my opinion. Retaining any of those three, for at least depth, would have mitigated the need for the early season scramble, and perhaps have allowed us to focus on, and find, a forward. That being said, IM isn’t doing that badly with the constraints of the team (and budget, perhaps?) and the competition. While we are all doom and gloom, I certainly believe that we aren’t in real trouble unless we reach Christmas in 8-10th place AND with a clear point separation from 7th+.

Spencer's injury was significant as was Tait's transfer shortly afterwards. Wrecked our midfield.

ETA A month later we lost Lang.

Edited by Beachbum

50 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I don't get this. Why does one have to be to the exclusion of the other? We were clearly looking at forwards as well as CBs pre-season with Murray seemingly believing that all the trialists were a bit pish.

Murray could have gone and kept Benedictus and Musonda and we'd likely still be in the same situation regarding strikers.

I'd have kept musonda but it was a good time for bene to move on. He's at a level that he can look a relative standout for what he brings to the pars now and I think we've upgraded by getting o'riordan. He doesn't have the experience bene did but he looks a better all round player than we've seen from bene for a few years now imo.

2 hours ago, renton said:

I don't get this. Why does one have to be to the exclusion of the other? We were clearly looking at forwards as well as CBs pre-season with Murray seemingly believing that all the trialists were a bit pish.

Murray could have gone and kept Benedictus and Musonda and we'd likely still be in the same situation regarding strikers.

Disagree, I think we spent blood and gold on a search for CB’s that could have been directed at strikers. Also, if the Cb issue was settled, we would have known our striker budget early, when a few were about.

2 hours ago, grumswall said:

I'd have kept musonda but it was a good time for bene to move on. He's at a level that he can look a relative standout for what he brings to the pars now and I think we've upgraded by getting o'riordan. He doesn't have the experience bene did but he looks a better all round player than we've seen from bene for a few years now imo.

I agree Bene probably couldn’t have been kept as a cover due to wages and history. Musonda, I wonder if IM could have kept him, we just don’t know. Surely McKay could have been kept, but he wanted full time play, so it would have taken a nice wedge.

3 hours ago, Beachbum said:

Spencer's injury was significant as was Tait's transfer shortly afterwards. Wrecked our midfield.

ETA A month later we lost Lang.

Absolutely had a huge impact, but JMcG showed no tactical nous for compensating in any manner for those losses. He misused Stanton, judging by his varied playing levels this year, mismanaged the striker position, and signed little else to assist.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

I dont get this IM allowed Bene and FM to depart?

Maybe,just maybe both left as any contract they were offered wasn,t to their liking