The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

A section of the support have made their mind up over Murray already and I imagine see this as a convenient stick to hit him with.

The alternative in this market to taking a punt on an unknown player (bringing this level of complication) is using the loan market to bring a young player in.  Let's see how that goes down with the support.

Maybe that’s right but he has done nothing to earn unwavering support from the fans yet, I personally feel very little about him either way tbh a bit like his team, he talks a good game but yet to see it on the park, hope he does thou 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Based on the dross that Murray has brought into the club so far I don't think he sets a particularly high bar when it comes to the calibre of his signings. 

See, of all our signings, I would certainly class Millen as dross. Connell and McBride I feel won't do much (but the latter is replacing Zanatta so not a downgrade even if he does f**k all) but Easton, Ross and O'Riordan all look good players at this level and Nolan looks adequate. Call it a 50% hit rate.

Apart from right back and depth at centre back I don't feel he's done a terrible job, but like McGlynn in the two seasons before that it's finding the right forward player to make it click. 

If he doesn't were in deep shit, right enough.

Edited by renton

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yes but these rules were in place before the season started, its not like they've been imposed after we tried signing the boy. 

We went into this with our eyes open and if we are stuck for months with Gullan and Connell while we wait for someone who  is an absolute gamble to put it mildly, then Murray will be right in the firing line. 

Short of winning the annual "non league English guy" tombola as Ayr appear to have done, I don't think there are  lot of distinguished strikers going free.

Most of those that are in the Championship were already on multi year contracts at the clubs they were at already. 

Seems to be about a 2 month wait for standard permits going by the delays for the likes of Bangala. Morton ditched their interest in a mystery foreign striker for that reason (wonder if it's the same guy you are signing?)

At this rate, would have preferred us to have just signed him anyway and waited instead of remaining in the great striker hunt that yourselves, Arbroath and probably half the division still find themselves on.

I think it's safe to say it's Big John we're waiting on clearance for. Hopefully Murray has factored in that he's not played since July and realised ahead of time that other clubs have had to wait months for overseas players to get clearance to play. Time he's here and up to speed we'll be into the January transfer window at this rate 😆

12 hours ago, CALDERON said:

A section of the support have made their mind up over Murray already and I imagine see this as a convenient stick to hit him with.

The alternative in this market to taking a punt on an unknown player (bringing this level of complication) is using the loan market to bring a young player in.  Let's see how that goes down with the support.

There’s always a section of our support who seem to hate whoever is in charge. It’s peculiar.

I’m still in the jury out category, but from what I’ve seen so far I’m leaning towards unconvinced at the moment.. The League Cup performance was poor in a group we really should have gotten out of. The start to the league campaign has been uninspiring. It’s still early days and it may all come together, but it has the feeling of a ‘just don’t get relegated’ type of season. 

9 hours ago, Michael W said:

The time for signing a striker was months ago. It was a known issue when Murray arrived. 

Hopefully this guy is decent, because we are in bother if he isn't. 

8 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Seems to be about a 2 month wait for standard permits going by the delays for the likes of Bangala. Morton ditched their interest in a mystery foreign striker for that reason (wonder if it's the same guy you are signing?)

At this rate, would have preferred us to have just signed him anyway and waited instead of remaining in the great striker hunt that yourselves, Arbroath and probably half the division still find themselves on.

These two posts dovetail nicely. Look at the strikers that have arrived into the division this summer. There's been about three of them, and one is that duff trialist we had who has ended up at Arbroath two months later down the line. 

It's easy to say "Sign a striker!" but there simply aren't many. Morton opted not to gamble on a work permit previously and probably regret it now, we presumably pursued another option that didn't come through and have had to go offshore to find someone now. 

There's been this weird paradoxical chat about whether or not the money is there, but it's almost not even relevant. The players aren't there. In a normal summer, you'd look at the clubs around us, look at the strikers they've signed and go "Why couldn't we get him? Were we outbid? Were we not quick enough?" but there aren't really any names that jump out. Maybe Anton Dowds who went to Thistle, but that was arranged months ago, well before McGlynn left. 

Other than that, you've got Akinyemi at Ayr who's the obvious standout in the division but we know that non-league English market is a total gamble. He looks brilliant now, but nobody could say that the day he arrived. Steven Boyd? Jai Quitongo? Both picked out of League One, neither particularly good. 

14 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

There’s always a section of our support who seem to hate whoever is in charge. It’s peculiar.

I’m still in the jury out category, but from what I’ve seen so far I’m leaning towards unconvinced at the moment.. The League Cup performance was poor in a group we really should have gotten out of. The start to the league campaign has been uninspiring. It’s still early days and it may all come together, but it has the feeling of a ‘just don’t get relegated’ type of season. 

I agree it feels like when Grant Murray took over.

19 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

These two posts dovetail nicely. Look at the strikers that have arrived into the division this summer. There's been about three of them, and one is that duff trialist we had who has ended up at Arbroath two months later down the line. 

It's easy to say "Sign a striker!" but there simply aren't many. Morton opted not to gamble on a work permit previously and probably regret it now, we presumably pursued another option that didn't come through and have had to go offshore to find someone now. 

There's been this weird paradoxical chat about whether or not the money is there, but it's almost not even relevant. The players aren't there. In a normal summer, you'd look at the clubs around us, look at the strikers they've signed and go "Why couldn't we get him? Were we outbid? Were we not quick enough?" but there aren't really any names that jump out. Maybe Anton Dowds who went to Thistle, but that was arranged months ago, well before McGlynn left. 

Other than that, you've got Akinyemi at Ayr who's the obvious standout in the division but we know that non-league English market is a total gamble. He looks brilliant now, but nobody could say that the day he arrived. Steven Boyd? Jai Quitongo? Both picked out of League One, neither particularly good. 

Aye, Dunfermline went down and took Toderov, O'Hara and Wighton with them: three guys who, The Pars relegation notwithstanding, would have been looking at championship gigs otherwise.

Dowds as you say, was arranged some time ago. Samuels and McKay were already at ICT, Graham already at Partick, Megginson already at Cove and Murray already at Queens. There just hasn't been a lot of movement, or a lot of free agents.

If anything, the club is suffering from McGlynn's decision last Summer to tough it out with a couple of loan strikers and hope for the best. 

11 hours ago, Been going too long said:

Maybe that’s right but he has done nothing to earn unwavering support from the fans yet, I personally feel very little about him either way tbh a bit like his team, he talks a good game but yet to see it on the park, hope he does thou 

Certainly don't think he deserves unwavering support, but also don't think he deserves unwavering criticism at every turn.

10 hours ago, Michael W said:

The time for signing a striker was months ago. It was a known issue when Murray arrived. 

Hopefully this guy is decent, because we are in bother if he isn't. 

To be fair, I remember hearing an interview as far back as July where Murray referenced the need for a striker.  Obviously something has prevented deals from getting over the line.

1 hour ago, roverthemoon said:

For me, it was always a "just don't get relegated" season. New management, players leaving, players arriving, new team, new formation, new tactics, new captain and still foggy under the McGlynn hangover. I didn't expect anything else. I hoped for more, but we are where I thought we'd be. I suspect we'll finish where I thought we'd finish; 5th to 8th.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Certainly don't think he deserves unwavering support, but also don't think he deserves unwavering criticism at every turn.

your probably right but this feels like it will be like a Grant Murray season, scrape by and unspectacular football. Tbh this is the first year in a long time I haven’t bought a season ticket and glad I didn’t, finding excuses not to go these days

2 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Dont think its a hate whoever is in charge syndrom,certainly not in my case,its more a frustration much like IM 

Very early doors and not sure where I am regards IM,neither convinced or unconvinced

21 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Dont think its a hate whoever is in charge syndrom,certainly not in my case,its more a frustration much like IM 

Very early doors and not sure where I am regards IM, neither convinced or unconvinced

This is probably the best place to be, its a wait and see time right now.

30 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

your probably right but this feels like it will be like a Grant Murray season, scrape by and unspectacular football. Tbh this is the first year in a long time I haven’t bought a season ticket and glad I didn’t, finding excuses not to go these days

That's not necessarily failure.  Last season was awful,  and saw one of the worst runs of form I've ever seen.  The club was at a low ebb,  its not going to be an overnight job.  Granted there will be pressure if results don't improve, but a transition season is absolutely fine.

18 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

That's not necessarily failure.  Last season was awful,  and saw one of the worst runs of form I've ever seen.  The club was at a low ebb,  its not going to be an overnight job.  Granted there will be pressure if results don't improve, but a transition season is absolutely fine.

First half of last season was very good and we had a cup win so not a total disaster, we know what caused mainly our second half slump. It’s not failure having a transition season I just have little appetite for Murray ball at the moment and what he says isn’t reflecting on the park, still haven’t got a ticket for tomorrow and longer I leave it probably won’t 

4 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

Still unconvinced myself with IM. However I am content in the fact we no longer have the over rated John McGlynn at the helm.  Never ever rated him tbh.  When he came back I was full of dread.  
Think Murray has the double whammy of no strikers available, and the fact we will be paying for ages for McGlynns utterly useless and in one particular  case utterly stupid signings.  Only Boris Johnstone has spaffed more cash against the wall. ;)

Edited by Heid_The_Baw