The New Raith Rovers Thread

15 hours ago, raith1974 said:

I criticise the manager as he is the one that keeps telling us he needs something and the only player he has signed is McBride who's a winger not a striker. We could see in the most games that we need a striker and yet no one arrives. 

It's been pretty clear that the manager knows we need a striker and has been trying to bring one in.

For some reason, the club haven't been able to get deals over the line.  Without knowing what it's down to, it's not really possible to know who to blame.  Not getting deals over the line has been a problem quite a few clubs have struggled with.  Could be footballing reasons,  could be financial,  could be external.  Ian Murray only has so much control over those.  Signing a winger does not automatically mean the manager doesn't recognise the need for a striker- more that he was replacing Zanatta.

It is a concern though.  Failure to bring a genuine centre forward in could see us in real relegation trouble, as no matter how competent we look in other areas- this current team will not score enough goals.

I dont see the loan market being overly fruitful in terms of experienced strikers.  If we use Stevie May as an example,  it's been universally accepted that he has been fucking terrible. And he finds himself in St Johnstones starting 11.  Doesn't suggest that there is real quality waiting to go out on loan, other than "kids" (and lord help this thread if that happens)

Tough situation for Murray.  There is no answer he can give to the question that will go down well I fear, other than having a new signing with a scarf held above his head next to him.  Too specific about time frame, and people will lose their shit if that time passes.  Not specific enough, people start to panic. I can understand why the question hasn't been asked, as frustrating as it is.

I think that the time for petted lips should be over.  We should have signed Kyle Lafferty but let the wrong one in. He has to be paid off in whatever fashion can be agreed. Meanwhile, Rovers are struggling, donations from individuals & groups are down by about £50K so Ian Murray has little chance of acquiring any decent targets. It's an individual choice but I would encourage everyone to consider making contributions again. Just about anything is better than going down to League 1 again.

7 minutes ago, JAR said:

I think that the time for petted lips should be over.  We should have signed Kyle Lafferty but let the wrong one in. He has to be paid off in whatever fashion can be agreed. Meanwhile, Rovers are struggling, donations from individuals & groups are down by about £50K so Ian Murray has little chance of acquiring any decent targets. It's an individual choice but I would encourage everyone to consider making contributions again. Just about anything is better than going down to League 1 again.

Your plea should be addressed to the board, not the support. Get him paid off and things might improve.

I can understand the frustration, on both sides.

As monotonous as it can seem to be to have folk constantly going on about needing a striker, and seeming to always look to blame Murray entirely for our lack of an attacking focal point the fact is we do need one and don't have them available.

That isn't the entire story, right enough. Murray's attempts at a 4-1-3-2 won't work with Gullan and Connell. Moving back to a 4-2-3-1 will give us a bit more of a solid base to try and build from. I suspect we might see more frustration if, with Spencer now fit he persists with the 4-1-3-2.

We need Gullan fit, and we need to see a bit more from Ross who has it in him to deliver. Will we actually see another striker in before the end of September? I honestly wouldn't like to bet on it either way. I do believe the Frederiksen rumour was/is real enough. It's a question of how it might be got over the line.

16 hours ago, kirkcaldybanjo111 said:

She was born in England which makes her English.

WELL THAT WILL BE THAT THEN!!  SHEEEEESH. DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU SPOUT YOU ILL INFORMED NONSENSE!!

HER BLOODLINE GOES BACK TO ROBERT THE BRUCE AND RUNS THRO THE STUART LINE OF MONARCHY.

BEING BORN IN MACDONALDS DOES NOT MAKE YOU A HAMBURGER! 

7 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

WELL THAT WILL BE THAT THEN!!  SHEEEEESH. DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU SPOUT YOU ILL INFORMED NONSENSE!!

HER BLOODLINE GOES BACK TO ROBERT THE BRUCE AND RUNS THRO THE STUART LINE OF MONARCHY.

I think you left your CAPS lock on bud. You need to hit it a second time to take the CAPS off and go back to lower case. Just FYI.

49 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

Being chopped up in one might.

2 hours ago, JAR said:

Another One of the club’s Financial experts I see 

6 hours ago, renton said:

I can understand the frustration, on both sides.

As monotonous as it can seem to be to have folk constantly going on about needing a striker, and seeming to always look to blame Murray entirely for our lack of an attacking focal point the fact is we do need one and don't have them available.

That isn't the entire story, right enough. Murray's attempts at a 4-1-3-2 won't work with Gullan and Connell. Moving back to a 4-2-3-1 will give us a bit more of a solid base to try and build from. I suspect we might see more frustration if, with Spencer now fit he persists with the 4-1-3-2.

We need Gullan fit, and we need to see a bit more from Ross who has it in him to deliver. Will we actually see another striker in before the end of September? I honestly wouldn't like to bet on it either way. I do believe the Frederiksen rumour was/is real enough. It's a question of how it might be got over the line.

4-2-3-1 and Gullan is a failure. He’s never a sole striker, he needs a buddy up top. Murray sees this, hence 4-1-3-2, which has failed too. Next up, 4-3-3, with Ross and Connolly wide.

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

4-2-3-1 and Gullan is a failure. He’s never a sole striker, he needs a buddy up top. Murray sees this, hence 4-1-3-2, which has failed too. Next up, 4-3-3, with Ross and Connolly wide.

You are talking fairly subtle degrees as to the difference between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3 in practice when two of your "front" three are wingers anyway.

Murray has a preference for a 4-1-3-2 based on his Airdrie experience and his desire to go direct. He can't do that with what he has. I disagree that Gullan is "a failure" in a 4-2-3-1. He performed that role well enough vs. Morton and the first part of Hamilton away. 

The extra midfielder at least in theory means we can control the middle and try and get Gullan playing in behind instead of with his back to goal.

2 hours ago, renton said:

You are talking fairly subtle degrees as to the difference between a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3 in practice when two of your "front" three are wingers anyway.

Murray has a preference for a 4-1-3-2 based on his Airdrie experience and his desire to go direct. He can't do that with what he has. I disagree that Gullan is "a failure" in a 4-2-3-1. He performed that role well enough vs. Morton and the first part of Hamilton away. 

The extra midfielder at least in theory means we can control the middle and try and get Gullan playing in behind instead of with his back to goal.

OK, 3-4-3…Nolan/O’Riordan/Dick…Brown/Spencer/Easton/Ross…Connolly/Gullan or Mitchell/Ross. It’s still a win with Millen on the bench!