The New Raith Rovers Thread

24 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Whilst on an individual level I agree with you (well, your second sentence), a minute's silence is inviting trouble. There's clearly a significant element of the public at large that isn't buying all this reverence for the royal family, and it'd be asking for trouble to attempt a minute's silence in as emotive an environment as a football ground. 

For what it's worth, I think there's a world of difference between showing a minute of respect for a dead woman, and playing/singing a song extolling the virtues of a living, unelected head of state. 

I can't see a situation where I'd ever disrupt a minute's silence, but I'd have serious issues with God Save The King. It's a situation the Rovers don't need to get themselves involved with. 

Pandering to, or avoidance because of a fear of, a minority sends entirely the wrong message.

Regardless of your politics, you should be able to stand quietly for 1 minute as a show of respect for the head of state.

I think yesterday's events showed that despite the noise the minority makes, Scotland has the humility to show respect, which was good to see.

As for GSTK, don't want to hear that played, not because it celebrates the Monarch, but because it is seen as the national anthem of England (which, technically, it's not)

18 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Personally and I'm sure I'm not the only one I couldn't give a solitary f**k that an old woman who lived a full life and given endless opportunities we can only dream off died in her warm bed surrounded by family but each to their own

So anyone who dies comfortably after a full life isn't worthy of respect? I'm no Royalist but f**k me, that's bitter 

2 minutes ago, RavyDavy said:

Pandering to, or avoidance because of a fear of, a minority sends entirely the wrong message.

Regardless of your politics, you should be able to stand quietly for 1 minute as a show of respect for the head of state.

I think yesterday's events showed that despite the noise the minority makes, Scotland has the humility to show respect, which was good to see.

As for GSTK, don't want to hear that played, not because it celebrates the Monarch, but because it is seen as the national anthem of England (which, technically, it's not)

The events of yesterday and today also show that there will always be some who will take the opportunity to make their point. The Hearts match showed how quickly things can spiral from there. 

It isn't worth the hassle. 

12 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The events of yesterday and today also show that there will always be some who will take the opportunity to make their point. The Hearts match showed how quickly things can spiral from there. 

It isn't worth the hassle. 

You know, let those stupid enough to behave like that out themselves in public. Imagine living life in fear of what a moron would do. 

You think that there isn't an anti-monarchy element feeling down south too? 

11 minutes ago, RavyDavy said:

So anyone who dies comfortably after a full life isn't worthy of respect? I'm no Royalist but f**k me, that's bitter 

Not caring or being ambivalent about a dead stranger is not a sign of disrespect. 

Booing the minute silence would be a sign of having no respect. 

If you want a minute's silence for the queen, old Jean who lives next door or your recently departed pet dog then I will observe that but I and others will still not care and nor should anyone be made to feel that they do. 

2 minutes ago, RavyDavy said:

You know, let those stupid enough to behave like that out themselves in public. Imagine living life in fear of what a moron would do. 

You think that there isn't an anti-monarchy element feeling down south too? 

I've no idea about England but I can guarantee it will be worse up here and I expect a number of clubs to opt out of the silence and almost none to play the anthem. 

Knowing the Rovers, the wrong version will be played. The perfect f**k up. 
Either that or the ipod won't connect again. Not a bad excuse to have already tested this season. I'm not saying the people who run that side of things at starks knew, but it's a bit of a coincidence...

Minute silence is fine.  There's plenty other avenues to pay further respects if you want to,  and plenty other places to show any more negative feelings.  

Hopefully its respected and we can be talking about the football at full time.  

Minute silence is fine.  There's plenty other avenues to pay further respects if you want to,  and plenty other places to show any more negative feelings.  
Hopefully its respected and we can be talking about the football at full time.  

I'm not sure that we will be better off talking about the football all things considered.

2 hours ago, grumswall said:

It would be a lot better for the club to avoid another potential bad story by playing gstk or have a minutes silence. I don't care enough either way to boo or sing if it plays and I will observe a minutes silence if it happens but just leave it all out and we don't have the problem of some people being vocal against it.

I think they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If they don't have a minute's silence and play the national anthem, all sorts of creatures within the mainstream and social media will be ready to take offence and castigate the club, and if they do play it, and some people boo, the very same creatures will be at the ready to condemn the club.

Whether you agree with it or not, surely if the club ask the fans to observe a minute's silence, you do it out of respect for the club and to avoid bringing any bad publicity its way.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Not caring or being ambivalent about a dead stranger is not a sign of disrespect. 

Booing the minute silence would be a sign of having no respect.

You also said:

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

I couldn't give a solitary f**k that an old woman who lived a full life and given endless opportunities we can only dream off died in her warm bed surrounded by family

Sounds respectful AF

Take a seat 🙄

I think they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
If they don't have a minute's silence and play the national anthem, all sorts of creatures within the mainstream and social media will be ready to take offence and castigate the club, and if they do play it, and some people boo, the very same creatures will be at the ready to condemn the club.
Whether you agree with it or not, surely if the club ask the fans to observe a minute's silence, you do it out of respect for the club and to avoid bringing any bad publicity its way.
Yeah I'd agree. There is always going to be someone who wants to make a point either way though. As I said, I'll observe whatever the club decides to do but I do think it's potentially easier if they don't play the song at least. I won't sing it if they do play it and I won't boo it. Beyond Andrew being free to roam around I don't have much care about any of it.

Sounds respectful AF
Take a seat [emoji849]
Is it more respectful that family's who had funerals planned for the 19th have been told they can no longer bury their loved ones?
Take a seat and give it a rest. You've already had to have posts removed by mods for this pish.