The New Raith Rovers Thread

Aye, we live in the era of social media - anyone who want's to highlight overt, obsequious shows of respect can fully avail themselves of tiktok and twitter. Whether it's bad poetry, crying big blubbery tears or doing 8000 laps of their garden in a zimmer frame surely that is enough to be getting on with, and leaving the rest of us alone.

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

Fully expecting games to be off at the weekend. Suppose if that happens it gives players like Gullan/Easton a bit of recovery time. Hopefully we can organise a behind closed doors match of some sorts (if that's allowed) to give Spencer some more minutes as well.

Another positive don’t have to see Ross Millen trying to defend and fail plus getting skinned by Bobby linn this weekend 

19 minutes ago, renton said:

Aye, we live in the era of social media - anyone who want's to highlight overt, obsequious shows of respect can fully avail themselves of tiktok and twitter. Whether it's bad poetry, crying big blubbery tears or doing 8000 laps of their garden in a zimmer frame surely that is enough to be getting on with, and leaving the rest of us alone.

You'll be absolutely fucking seething when the funeral gets arranged for next Saturday.

There's a fair few.of you that need to grow up judging by the posts.  Regardless of anyone's politics, decisions have been made in an effort to show respect. 

I've always found mourning of someone who didn't even know you exist absurd but there is nothing wrong with showing respect.

Football's off for a week ... Get over it  Good chance the weather would've done it anyway. 

As has been mentioned, black armbands and a minute's silence are shows of respect.

Why is it that sporting events are always the ones that have to suffer yet you can still go out for a meal or to the cinema, theatre, gym or pub?

It's absolute nonsense and there's every chance next weekend will go the same way.

11 minutes ago, RavyDavy said:

You'll be absolutely fucking seething when the funeral gets arranged for next Saturday.

There's a fair few.of you that need to grow up judging by the posts.  Regardless of anyone's politics, decisions have been made in an effort to show respect. 

I've always found mourning of someone who didn't even know you exist absurd but there is nothing wrong with showing respect.

Football's off for a week ... Get over it  Good chance the weather would've done it anyway. 

Most of the rest of society is carrying on as is. You can even bet that the footballers and coaches will be in doing training to keep them ticking over, so where exactly is the respect? It won't be in the cessation of activity, it's just channelled into different activities instead.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for folk showing their feelings in whatever way they wish. If anyone wants to let their mind happilly wander to images of the Queen, instead of going to the fitba, then that's entirely their perogative. Not sure why such enforced mawkishness should be pushed on the rest of us, however.

1 minute ago, renton said:

Most of the rest of society is carrying on as is. You can even bet that the footballers and coaches will be in doing training to keep them ticking over, so where exactly is the respect? It won't be in the cessation of activity, it's just channelled into different activities instead.

Like I said, it's a gesture. It's how Scottish Football has chosen to show respect.  Accept it and move on, you're just coming across as childish. 

1 minute ago, RavyDavy said:

Aye, that went well at Tynecastle too 

To be fair I doubt many folk up and down the country will belt out God Save The Queen like the Hearts fans did last night. Only a certain other team might join Hearts fans in that gesture, maybe a team from North Lanarkshire as well.

1 minute ago, Raithie said:

To be fair I doubt many folk up and down the country will belt out God Save The Queen like the Hearts fans did last night. Only a certain other team might join Hearts fans in that gesture, maybe a team from North Lanarkshire as well.

That was in response to the morons shouting FTQ during the "silence". 2 wrongs don't make a right but do you want to be seeing scenes like that up and down the country? Imagine the behaviour of Celtic fans... It would be like the Poppy stuff x100

1 minute ago, RavyDavy said:

Like I said, it's a gesture. It's how Scottish Football has chosen to show respect.  Accept it and move on, you're just coming across as childish. 

To be fair you are just coming across as condescending. Mourn, gesture your sadness by all means. What you are actually describing is something forced upon the masses to feed the myth of National grieving.

It actually helps Rovers with team selection and it won't break my weekend but forcing such hollow gestures is contrived nonsense rather than respect. 

Offer a refund on tickets and allow the clubs to decide on a game by game basis. 

If I go full conspiracy theory on this I wouldn't be surprised if the fear of booing, chanting against the monarchy was part of the decision making. 

14 minutes ago, RavyDavy said:

That was in response to the morons shouting FTQ during the "silence". 2 wrongs don't make a right but do you want to be seeing scenes like that up and down the country? Imagine the behaviour of Celtic fans... It would be like the Poppy stuff x100

Best just never let Celtic play ever again, then. 

28 minutes ago, Always next quarter said:

To be fair you are just coming across as condescending. Mourn, gesture your sadness by all means. What you are actually describing is something forced upon the masses to feed the myth of National grieving.

It actually helps Rovers with team selection and it won't break my weekend but forcing such hollow gestures is contrived nonsense rather than respect. 

Offer a refund on tickets and allow the clubs to decide on a game by game basis. 

If I go full conspiracy theory on this I wouldn't be surprised if the fear of booing, chanting against the monarchy was part of the decision making. 

If you think being pragmatic is condescending then bash on but that probably says more about you than it does me tbh. 

Definitely a plus for us not to be playing this weekend.

It's not feasible to put the decision in the hands of clubs... That's just bonkers and opens up cans of worms. The governing bodies needed to make a call either way and they have.  Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. 

And, I'd also agree that the fear of booing etc played a part. If it has, then that is a sad indictment of our society in general. 

23 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Best just never let Celtic play ever again, then. 

Big team revealed ☝️

I'd be delighted if both Rangers and Celtic played in empty stadiums for ever more so we didn't need to listen to their supporters drivel and have it beamed across the world for others to also hear. 

After seeing what happened around the death of Princess Diana, you have to expect there’ll be an equal amount of upheaval around the death of the Queen.

This is just the ‘mark of respect’ stage. Next comes the funeral. 

And still Rovers haven’t signed a striker!