The New Raith Rovers Thread

I’m going to disagree. HL is too low a level for Arnott to get the kind of challenge he deserves to develop quickly. Surely there was a team or two in League One or Two needing an AM.

I’d much rather my player got game time at a highland league team looking for promotion than a league 2 team looking to avoid relegation.
This is a very decent move for him.

I went to a few HL games last season, and the young Ukrainian lad Brechin had on loan from St Johnstone ran the show.  He is now in and around their first team squad, so that loan did him no harm.

Good move.  Its not a great league, but he's playing for one of the better teams that will be going for a title.  It's a tired cliche, but genuinely could toughen him up a bit.

Hopefully will get to few games and see how he's getting on.

Actually   assuming our game vs Queens Park transpires to be the Friday I'll see him play just up the road at Inverurie.  TxRover, await my report with baited breath.   

Edited by CALDERON

6 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Actually   assuming our game vs Queens Park transpires to be the Friday I'll see him play just up the road at Inverurie.  TxRover, await my report with baited breath.   

Expecting the full report, I’ll nibble on some herring!

2 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Great that hes going to be getting game time but, hes better than HL level 

1 hour ago, RRFC_Liam said:

And McHatties there as well and davo No long left could’ve been a rovers reunion up there 

Stephen Simmonds is the assistant coach.

1 hour ago, kev23 said:

I’d much rather my player got game time at a highland league team looking for promotion than a league 2 team looking to avoid relegation.

This. 

Pished breeks all over the place for f**k all again. 

2 hours ago, kev23 said:

24 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

This. 

The quality of the opposition has a major impact on development and experience. The HL opposition will generally challenge Aaron less than a higher level, BUT, if he player weekly, it could be worth the trade off. However, I’d still like to see him a level or two up. Off to change me drawers!

8 hours ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

This. 

Hardly as it leaves us another player short for any real change from the bench. This current squad has to be the weakest we've had in a few years. No cover at the back no strikers and a BOD or management team that appear to struggle to attract players. Relying on Vaughan is a mistake, he may not even be back before Christmas. Maybe we will see movement before the weekend to strengthen but I doubt it.

37 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Hardly as it leaves us another player short for any real change from the bench. This current squad has to be the weakest we've had in a few years. No cover at the back no strikers and a BOD or management team that appear to struggle to attract players. Relying on Vaughan is a mistake, he may not even be back before Christmas. Maybe we will see movement before the weekend to strengthen but I doubt it.

Replace that with the majority of lower league clubs.

Of all the things to have a go at the club about, sending a relatively inexperienced player to go out on loan to gain experience,  when we have a lot of options already in that position, is certainly an interesting one.

I may be in a minority,  but I don't think Arnott is quite ready for this level yet - or at least I haven't seen anything to say he should be starting games as mooted by some on twitter.  

The upper end of the highland league is probably not far away from League 2 level.  The bad teams are absolutely terrible, but the top 3 or 4 are decent enough.  Some of the top of the table clashes will be a good test for him.  

Also need to look at it from the other managers point of view.  Is a player on the fringes of a Championship side good enough to walk into a League 1 or 2 side and be an instant starter? Not sure, but that decision is a bit easier when you drop down another level.  Playing every week at a low level will benefit us far more.

It's a good move for all concerned.

Edited by CALDERON

15 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I may be in a minority,  but I don't think Arnott is quite ready for this level yet - or at least I haven't seen anything to say he should be starting games as mooted by some on twitter.  

I was a bit taken aback by that too. I can't be far off having seen every senior minute that Arnott has played, and while he's been broadly fine, with the odd good moments, I've not seen anything to suggest he's a legitimate squad option in the Championship at this point, let alone "good enough to start". 

We're already at the point where we'll be leaving a good, senior central midfielder on the bench, and we've still got Matthews to come back. 

If we'd just won two games on the bounce as opposed to losing two, nobody would be complaining about this. 

35 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I was a bit taken aback by that too. I can't be far off having seen every senior minute that Arnott has played, and while he's been broadly fine, with the odd good moments, I've not seen anything to suggest he's a legitimate squad option in the Championship at this point, let alone "good enough to start". 

We're already at the point where we'll be leaving a good, senior central midfielder on the bench, and we've still got Matthews to come back. 

If we'd just won two games on the bounce as opposed to losing two, nobody would be complaining about this. 

Couldn’t agree more with what’s been said above. I’d also add the highland league is probably a far higher standard than some people are giving it credit for. It’ll certainly aid his development.

13 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Couldn’t agree more with what’s been said above. I’d also add the highland league is probably a far higher standard than some people are giving it credit for. It’ll certainly aid his development.

Yes, it's not the mickey mouse league some suppose it is.