The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

Aye, but he’s hardly kicked a ball, very limited game time hinders progression. He needs experience beside him.

Yeah, Nolan might be 23 but he's only played something like 20 first team games. I'm sure the biggest crowd he's played in front of was at Pittodrie, and I imagine the second biggest was Firhill. 

Undoubtedly, if you watched any of our last few games and only knew one of our centre halfs was a 23 year old who came through at Inter Milan and an 18 year old from Crewe, you'd misidentify them. But I like Nolan. I think it's a real shame for the pair of them that they've not got a more senior player to go beside them, which obviously Berra would've been perfect for. 

I'm also not keen on Murray hooking Nolan at the first sign of us getting beat. I know why he's doing it, but I think it belies a real lack of confidence in his core system. It hasn't worked for us so far, I think it disrupts the side too much. By all means make attacking changes, but when you've got 10 minutes to play and you've got a back three of Liam Dick, Connor O'Riordan and Aidan Connolly, it feels more like desperation rather than coherent strategy. 

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

Aye, but he’s hardly kicked a ball, very limited game time hinders progression. He needs experience beside him.

Bar one mistake,  he's been absolutely fine.  

In an ideal world, yeah would be good to have some more experience back there.  But that is so far down on the priority list.  

Edited by CALDERON

2 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

If we bring in an experience centre back then it means one of Nolan or O'Riordan dropping to the bench, or god forbid we go 3 at the back again, which offers us very little given our maligned fullbacks become more integral as wingbacks. 

If we bring anyone in, the need to have experience and ability to make a difference. Millen has bags of experience playing in better leagues than ours, hasn't done him many favours here.

If results go the wrong way this week we could find ourselves 1 point above bottom of the league and 11 off top after 7 games played. 

Not sure I can enthuse myself to write off the entire Saturday afternoon and go Gayfield if the game just gone is anything to go by, especially second half that was grim.

Thought we’d turned a corner after Morton, Accies and even the Patrick defeat. Dundee looked average and we couldn’t score, ICT looked poor and we couldn’t score.

Feels like we need a worldie from Easton for a goal.

2 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

Yeah, Nolan might be 23 but he's only played something like 20 first team games. I'm sure the biggest crowd he's played in front of was at Pittodrie, and I imagine the second biggest was Firhill. 

Undoubtedly, if you watched any of our last few games and only knew one of our centre halfs was a 23 year old who came through at Inter Milan and an 18 year old from Crewe, you'd misidentify them. But I like Nolan. I think it's a real shame for the pair of them that they've not got a more senior player to go beside them, which obviously Berra would've been perfect for. 

I'm also not keen on Murray hooking Nolan at the first sign of us getting beat. I know why he's doing it, but I think it belies a real lack of confidence in his core system. It hasn't worked for us so far, I think it disrupts the side too much. By all means make attacking changes, but when you've got 10 minutes to play and you've got a back three of Liam Dick, Connor O'Riordan and Aidan Connolly, it feels more like desperation rather than coherent strategy. 

I agree. On Saturday we could've hooked Brown, Stanton and Connolly and brought Ross, Spencer and Arnott on to re jig the forward threat without completely destabilising the team. Also, chucking big O'Riordon up top would be a nice throwback to the gung-ho tactics of yesteryear. 

3 hours ago, Against The Machine said:

54 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I agree. On Saturday we could've hooked Brown, Stanton and Connolly and brought Ross, Spencer and Arnott on to re jig the forward threat without completely destabilising the team. Also, chucking big O'Riordon up top would be a nice throwback to the gung-ho tactics of yesteryear. 

Unfortunately, this is a characteristic of Murrayball. Time gets short and defenders get replaced if we’re needing to score…it ended up working in League One, but never get them out of League One in the playoffs…we’ll see here.

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Its a point worth raising again that Murray had a centre half with as much experience as you could ever want.  He decided to quit after the season had started.  Only so much can be done after that point.  

Bang on plus fairly sure we had experience at the back last season but shipped 44 goals

Think our goals against are like for like on last season after 6 games

Edited by Rovers_Lad

16 minutes ago, renton said:

Still waiting for this striker to appear...

최고 Ill Be Here Waiting GIF들 | Gfycat

If this suggested striker is a non-UK citizen then be prepared to wait for a month or more until international clearance and a work permit is granted, if it even will be. Given Rovers rarely announce a signing until clearance has been given, might be quiet for a while. Fingers crossed it won't be that way though.

43 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62812723

Something we should be considering? 

It would probably make me a bit less likely to travel to an away match but i would be fine with lunchtime kick offs for home matches. 

Yes, we should. The bigger question is how it impacts the community foundation given the floodlights are on most evenings at Stark's. Is the club still separate of Stark's Park Properties? 

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Yes, we should. The bigger question is how it impacts the community foundation given the floodlights are on most evenings at Stark's. Is the club still separate of Stark's Park Properties? 

Yeah the club is still separate. The floodlights were replaced by LEDs I believe so it should be lower energy but still, they're on almost daily and with winter coming in, they'll be on more I'd imagine. 

As for changing kick off times, the impact would also be on the local establishments that take advantage of football crowds, the Novar for example thrives on the Saturday lunchtime crowd before a game. It's a tough balance I would say.

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62812723

Something we should be considering? 

It would probably make me a bit less likely to travel to an away match but i would be fine with lunchtime kick offs for home matches. 

The club won't save much money with BBC Scotland potentially picking us for 2 home Friday night games, so anything to save a buck or two would need to be considered.

51 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The club won't save much money with BBC Scotland potentially picking us for 2 home Friday night games, so anything to save a buck or two would need to be considered.

They switch the lights off for Friday night televised games