The New Raith Rovers Thread

17 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

No point signing a 6ft8 Faroe guy when you’ve got 2 Full backs who can’t put in a half decent delivery for the guy  

But it isn't just down to the full backs to deliver a decent cross, it is down to the whole team to create chances after all there is no I in team and football is a team game but agree we don't have the best of full backs. If we do sign this guy for up front, he will be the first striker over 6ft, 6ft 1/2 since Andy Smith.

8 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

But it isn't just down to the full backs to deliver a decent cross, it is down to the whole team to create chances after all there is no I in team and football is a team game but agree we don't have the best of full backs. If we do sign this guy for up front, he will be the first striker over 6ft, 6ft 1/2 since Andy Smith.

Brian Graham?

7 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

You will find Brian Graham is 6ft 2 and I said we haven't had a forward over 6ft 2.

Jon Daly. And technically what you wrote was " the first striker over 6ft, 6ft 1/2 since Andy Smith." which reads as 6ft and a half 😂

Edited by Kooz92

It was fun going through old squads and seeing that we have had more 6ft + forwards than I thought. Brian Graham, Christian Nade, Joel Thomas, Jon Daly, Ryan Hardie, Chris Duggan. We haven't quite had someone in the target man mould since Daly but I was surprised that we had signed more tall forwards than I had originally thought.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Nolan is 23, not a kid, and O Riordan has strolled through every game.

They aren't the problem.  The single biggest issue is in the final 3rd of the pitch, with the full backs a secondary issue.  Other than squad depth, this fabled experienced centre back does not solve anything.  

100% agree More or less stated this in a previous post on Saturday, Both centres had a decent game and looked solid until the stupid penalty , O Riordan is a lot better on the ball than benny was ! The amount of runs the guy made into the opposing half looking for runners , cast your mind back not so long ago when benny and Davo hoofing passes out the park giving away silly goals etc. We have nothing upfront no presence and our forwards are bullied add the 2 full backs who”s crossing is abysmal isnt helping. 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Nolan is 23, not a kid, and O Riordan has strolled through every game.

They aren't the problem.  The single biggest issue is in the final 3rd of the pitch, with the full backs a secondary issue.  Other than squad depth, this fabled experienced centre back does not solve anything.  

13 minutes ago, basher brash said:

100% agree More or less stated this in a previous post on Saturday, Both centres had a decent game and looked solid until the stupid penalty , O Riordan is a lot better on the ball than benny was ! The amount of runs the guy made into the opposing half looking for runners , cast your mind back not so long ago when benny and Davo hoofing passes out the park giving away silly goals etc. We have nothing upfront no presence and our forwards are bullied add the 2 full backs who”s crossing is abysmal isnt helping. 

You know, we say this, but looking at what I can (it’s a boycott of $$$/£££ to the club until HE departs, not of RaithTV…they are collateral damage), it seems our FB’s are trying to stay home more, and perhaps help the inexperienced (better than young?) CH/CB pairing. Of course, part of that might also be IM’s direction.

That being said, O’Riordan looks a real find, too bad we likely lose him in January…Nolan seems to be getting on better, and might be a solid find too.

Can’t remember 1 good game he’s played tbh, he slows all our attacks down by passing it backwards or sideways and he couldny cross water, can’t track back, defensively a liability, jockies his winger and doesn’t put a foot in like Saturday when there were 3 around that boy him included, he’s just a shite RB who’s here for 2 years 
For me he never put a foot wrong on the Hamilton game.

Goze Ugwu according to stats was 6ft 3.

44 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
8 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:
Can’t remember 1 good game he’s played tbh, he slows all our attacks down by passing it backwards or sideways and he couldny cross water, can’t track back, defensively a liability, jockies his winger and doesn’t put a foot in like Saturday when there were 3 around that boy him included, he’s just a shite RB who’s here for 2 years 

For me he never put a foot wrong on the Hamilton game.

I'd agree, the game at NDP was easily his best outing in a Rovers jersey and I thought he'd found his feet and could kick on, he hasn't as yet.

To put that performance at NDP into context though, Hamilton were absolutely shite and that game aside he's not looked like mustard. Only 1 good outing in 4 in the cup and 1 in 5 in the league doesn't make for good stats. Some think if we were to bring in another RB for competition he could raise his game, I'm not so sure.

I've only seen the ICT game but from what I saw we generally looked ok defensively. O'Riordan and Nolan hardly put a foot wrong and looked very comfortable, as did Liam Dick and Ross Millen up until the penalty.

The penalty was an absolute heads gone moment but I'm not going to totally write off Millen for the next 2 years because of one mistake. If it's a recurring theme then obviously it becomes an issue.

Millen stays on his feet there then there is every chance we get a clean sheet on Saturday. ICT didn't look a threat at all up to and even beyond that moment.

Our main issue is cutting edge up front.

16 hours ago, TxRover said:

Additionally, I don’t understand the pure venom direct at Liam Dick. He’s not nearly as bad as many

I agree , I’m no great fan of his but he is a steady enough player who can pop up with the occasional important goal eg Killie away last season and Morton this season.