The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Against The Machine said:

We're not signing Lacina Traore 😂

Hide contents

That would be incredible. Not from a performance point of view, I've no idea what he's like, it looks like he's barely kicked a ball to any effect in a good couple of years, but in terms of patter and narrative, I'm fully in on it. 

And the good news is, when he's inevitably absolutely pish, the Ivory Coast flags can be quickly flipped upside down in support of Ryan Nolan and Connor O'Riordan. 

We are in need of a goalscoring striker. He's exactly the type of non goalscoring striker Murray would sign 😂

2 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

So it will be Spencer, Brown and either Stanton or Matthews for the runner 

I don't think "runner" is a great term for the role, it's really just the most attack minded of the trio. In a 4-2-3-1, the "runner" is your number 10. You could certainly play Stanton in that role, but I think with our current squad it'd ideally be Easton. 

Matthews, for me, is pretty much pigeon-holed as a destroyer. I don't think we have another proper passer beyond Spencer, and haven't since Hendry. 

2 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

After watching the post match interview I feel Murray looks very downbeat. Even after defeat at Partick he managed to look positive, this week he looks as though he's realising it isn't going as he thought it would, perhaps even that he's bitten off more than he can chew?

He actually looks a wee bit like John McGlynn did in that 1st apologetic interview after signing you know who, not quite broken but not too far away.

Probably because he's realised this is only going to end one way and it's just a question of when, not if. 

Erm.. yes he did. Spencer or Matthews won’t be in contention I can assure you. He’ll choose his own signing. Scott Brown is his Captain. 

I’m not sure if you’re being serious or not. He announced Ross Matthews as his captain. Every manager decides who their captain is. Matthews isn’t captain because he’s a fan favourite. He’s the captain because Ian Murray selected him as his captain.

3 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I don't think "runner" is a great term for the role, it's really just the most attack minded of the trio. In a 4-2-3-1, the "runner" is your number 10. You could certainly play Stanton in that role, but I think with our current squad it'd ideally be Easton. 

Matthews, for me, is pretty much pigeon-holed as a destroyer. I don't think we have another proper passer beyond Spencer, and haven't since Hendry. 

Never realised you meant Playing 4231 with the No10 I thought you meant a 433 with 3 central mids with different attributes my bad 😂

1 minute ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I’m not sure if you’re being serious or not. He announced Ross Matthews as his captain. Every manager decides who their captain is. Matthews isn’t captain because he’s a fan favourite. He’s the captain because Ian Murray selected him as his captain.

Also I think he appointed him as well because he knows the club, been here long enough and has captained the club before it was the obvious choice and the right choice Imo 

5 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

After watching the post match interview I feel Murray looks very downbeat. Even after defeat at Partick he managed to look positive, this week he looks as though he's realising it isn't going as he thought it would, perhaps even that he's bitten off more than he can chew?

He actually looks a wee bit like John McGlynn did in that 1st apologetic interview after signing you know who, not quite broken but not too far away.

I got that too, a bit dejected. The difference with the Partick game was we finished the stronger side, so there were positives to take, whereas yesterday we were expected to beat a deplted ICT who had a hard midweek game and we finished the weaker side. He knows the problem, as we all do - we've next to no goal threat.

4 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I could be wrong but didn’t smith strip JT from the captaincy and gave it to Bene because he wanted him as captain? This is in relation to your point about managers choosing captains 

1 minute ago, Raith_Raver said:

I got that too, a bit dejected. The difference with the Partick game was we finished the stronger side, so there were positives to take, whereas yesterday we were expected to beat a deplted ICT who had a hard midweek game and we finished the weaker side. He knows the problem, as we all do - we've next to no goal threat.

And a clown at right back who cost us the game 

I could be wrong but didn’t smith strip JT from the captaincy and gave it to Bene because he wanted him as captain? This is in relation to your point about managers choosing captains 

Exactly. A manager will pick whoever they want as their captain. Just because Murray brought Brown in, doesn’t mean that he’s going to be Murray’s captain. Murray’s captain is Matthews hence why he picked Matthews.

14 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Never realised you meant Playing 4231 with the No10 I thought you meant a 433 with 3 central mids with different attributes my bad 😂

I was really just applying it to a system we've seen Ian Murray and John McGlynn use. You could certainly make the case for those same roles being necessary/applicable for a 4-3-3, too. To a fair extent its just semantics and where you decide to draw the lines. 

A 4-2-3-1 becomes a 4-3-3 very quickly if you ask your wingers to drive into the box rather than down the touchline. 

Murray's also been keen on this 4-1-3-2 formation, but it's too top heavy. You can see why he likes it with the squad we've got. If you don't have one player who can reliably score goals, try and get as many of the guys who sometimes do on the park as you can, but it totally cedes the midfield. In Mark Ellis' parlance you've got a destroyer and a runner but nobody to link the two, and you're totally exposed when you don't have the ball. 

It'd be different if you had a great striker partnership with really effective hold up play (think Baird and Graham) or runs the channels (Baird and Tade) because then you can basically bypass the midfield and just knock it long, but we don't have the forwards to do that. Yet. 

2 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Exactly. A manager will pick whoever they want as their captain. Just because Murray brought Brown in, doesn’t mean that he’s going to be Murray’s captain. Murray’s captain is Matthews hence why he picked Matthews.

Erm Brown has been the captain for weeks. No amount of Matthews is the Captain will change things. Brown is Murray’s Captain whether we like it or not. 

Erm Brown has been the captain for weeks. No amount of Matthews is the Captain will change things. Brown is Murray’s Captain whether we like it or not. 
Ross Matthews is the club captain and will have the arm band when he's on the pitch even if brown is playing. It honestly isn't a big deal regardless though.

1 minute ago, grumswall said:
7 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Ross Matthews is the club captain and will have the arm band when he's on the pitch even if brown is playing. It honestly isn't a big deal regardless though.

And yet will cause more unrest in an already demoralised squad. I’m almost positive that the armband will be Brown’s

3 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

And yet will cause more unrest in an already demoralised squad. I’m almost positive that the armband will be Brown’s

In all fairness. Brown hasn’t done much wrong, why take the captaincy from him when Murray’s defensive signings have failed so drastically. What will Matthews offer that Brown can’t?