The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Erm.. yes he did. Spencer or Matthews won’t be in contention I can assure you. He’ll choose his own signing. Scott Brown is his Captain. 

If he gets in over Brad Spencer or Ross Matthews then it’s a disgrace those 2 are our best midfielders 

46 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Can the management team coach Millen into being a better player? You would hope so. 

Murray was an international defender so you would think he knows a good defender when he sees one. Or at least he can identify someone who can be developed. You've got to wonder if he sees something in Millen that no one else has.

I think Scott Brown in particular is being a little unfairly maligned here. He wasn't great yesterday but he's been one of our better players so far this year. It's not his fault that we're relying on him to do too much. 

I think the return of Brad Spencer could be key in restoring a proper balance to the midfield. Out of possession, Scott Brown is the archetypal "holding" midfielder. He's there to win tackles and then the ball over. He does that well. When we have the ball, though, he's not the kind of deep lying playmaker that the defence - especially Ryan Nolan and Liam Dick - need. They need someone who'll essentially come and take the ball off their toes and get it going forwards. At various points, the likes of Stanton, Easton and even Ross have tried to fulfil that role, but Spencer excels at it. 

I found myself reading this Twitter thread earlier, where a Dundee United fan with an analytical viewpoint picks apart their midfield. I won't repeat it all here, but his basic thesis is that any three man midfield needs a passer, a destroyer and a runner. I remember having this exact discussion last season when we went through our successful run with Spencer, Matthews and Tait fulfilling those roles. So far this season, we've only had a destroyer once Brown was freed from defence, and while we've got midfielders who can pass, none of them are particularly effective at doing it from deep. 

It's not going to solve our fundamental issue in the final third, but getting Spencer in to play alongside Scott Brown at the base of midfield will give us a much better core, and should mean a better chance of getting the ball to Easton/Connolly/Ross in more advanced positions, potentially before a defence has had a chance to drop into the low block that totally nullifies them. As I touched upon above, it should also mitigate the lack of passing range that Nolan has, and Dick's tendency to look inside rather than down the line whenever he receives a pass. 

12 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Erm.. yes he did. Spencer or Matthews won’t be in contention I can assure you. He’ll choose his own signing. Scott Brown is his Captain. 

Spencer is also his signing, he gave him a new contract.

Just now, Scottydog said:

That was pushed through by the board more than IM from what I heard.

I may be wrong but I am sure I read Murray extolling the virtues of Spencer having been aware of him as a player before he came here and subsequently saying how happy he was once he got him signed.

8 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I think Scott Brown in particular is being a little unfairly maligned here. He wasn't great yesterday but he's been one of our better players so far this year. It's not his fault that we're relying on him to do too much. 

I think the return of Brad Spencer could be key in restoring a proper balance to the midfield. Out of possession, Scott Brown is the archetypal "holding" midfielder. He's there to win tackles and then the ball over. He does that well. When we have the ball, though, he's not the kind of deep lying playmaker that the defence - especially Ryan Nolan and Liam Dick - need. They need someone who'll essentially come and take the ball off their toes and get it going forwards. At various points, the likes of Stanton, Easton and even Ross have tried to fulfil that role, but Spencer excels at it. 

I found myself reading this Twitter thread earlier, where a Dundee United fan with an analytical viewpoint picks apart their midfield. I won't repeat it all here, but his basic thesis is that any three man midfield needs a passer, a destroyer and a runner. I remember having this exact discussion last season when we went through our successful run with Spencer, Matthews and Tait fulfilling those roles. So far this season, we've only had a destroyer once Brown was freed from defence, and while we've got midfielders who can pass, none of them are particularly effective at doing it from deep. 

It's not going to solve our fundamental issue in the final third, but getting Spencer in to play alongside Scott Brown at the base of midfield will give us a much better core, and should mean a better chance of getting the ball to Easton/Connolly/Ross in more advanced positions, potentially before a defence has had a chance to drop into the low block that totally nullifies them. As I touched upon above, it should also mitigate the lack of passing range that Nolan has, and Dick's tendency to look inside rather than down the line whenever he receives a pass. 

Nobody’s disputing that man. Scott Brown is a cracking player. He needs experience around him. He is the Club Captain. 

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

Would a 6 foot 8 overseas internationalist wet fans appetite? 

Depends is it a 6'8" 32 yr old Ivory Coast Ex-international (13 caps) who has been without a club since July and has scored 89 career goals since 2007?

5 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

I may be wrong but I am sure I read Murray extolling the virtues of Spencer having been aware of him as a player before he came here and subsequently saying how happy he was once he got him signed.

Maybe so, but I got the distinct impression the Chairman pushed for the deal more than the manager. 

Perhaps having already having signed Brown and Easton, Murray just wanted the money to be spent elsewhere.

We're not signing Lacina Traore 😂

Spoiler

That would be incredible. Not from a performance point of view, I've no idea what he's like, it looks like he's barely kicked a ball to any effect in a good couple of years, but in terms of patter and narrative, I'm fully in on it. 

And the good news is, when he's inevitably absolutely pish, the Ivory Coast flags can be quickly flipped upside down in support of Ryan Nolan and Connor O'Riordan. 

After watching the post match interview I feel Murray looks very downbeat. Even after defeat at Partick he managed to look positive, this week he looks as though he's realising it isn't going as he thought it would, perhaps even that he's bitten off more than he can chew?

He actually looks a wee bit like John McGlynn did in that 1st apologetic interview after signing you know who, not quite broken but not too far away.

10 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Depends is it a 6'8" 32 yr old Ivory Coast Ex-international (13 caps) who has been without a club since July and has scored 89 career goals since 2007?

Wrong age, different nationality, this boy has been capped 4 times for his country, started his senior career in 2013...he has been without a club since July though.