The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Against The Machine said:

A back three, a right winger, a target man who doesn't exist and five central midfielders? I'm not sure it is. 

In essence you play a diamond in the middle, Stanton is naturally left footed  Connolly can play a right mid role and if Murray is true to word we should see a striker. The only creative player we have is Easton this allows for a free role which he doesn't get as a centre mid. As we've said we have too many centre mid signed we need to play them we have nothing else. Ross looks of it, Connell is crap, I don't trust that McBride will be any good and we saw in the Dundee game that the chap from Aberdeen can't play left mid.

3 hours ago, renton said:

In fairness, that 4-1-3-2 type formation isn't exactly brilliant if you are asking the one sitting midfielder to dictate play with the game in front of them. I think the idea is to bypass him and go direct but that isn't going to work with our available "forwards"

I would revert to a 4-2-3-1 for next week, get Spencer and Stanton playing in that 2, get Brown in at right back and Millen into the North Sea.

No one is suggesting he dictate play but when you're Infront of two defenders with the ball you provide an outlet for them, even if it's to give a quick ball off to one of the fullbacks or draw a man away. That's not dictating, it's being available. 

I agree with your suggestion on the rest, though I'd also consider dropping Connolly in favour of Arnott to play in the centre and play Easton on the side with the better defensive fullback so he can roam. 

4 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

No one is suggesting he dictate play but when you're Infront of two defenders with the ball you provide an outlet for them, even if it's to give a quick ball off to one of the fullbacks or draw a man away. That's not dictating, it's being available. 

I agree with your suggestion on the rest, though I'd also consider dropping Connolly in favour of Arnott to play in the centre and play Easton on the side with the better defensive fullback so he can roam. 

Wouldn’t be dropping Connelly , one of our better players

Just now, Hottoddy22 said:

Wouldn’t be dropping Connelly , one of our better players

Generally yes but yesterday he was posted missing for a lot of it and the times he had the ball he was just bullied off it. No denying his set pieces are excellent though, a lot of our better chances come from them but in open play, he's been a bit hit and miss.

Whats baffling is we now have a well advertised scout/ talent spotter in place and the best he comes up with is Connell and McBride , Heard lee bullen  comment on a post match interview that his scouts monitor lower league down south that’s how they spotted Akinyemi where’s our scout looking ? 

28 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Whats baffling is we now have a well advertised scout/ talent spotter in place and the best he comes up with is Connell and McBride , Heard lee bullen  comment on a post match interview that his scouts monitor lower league down south that’s how they spotted Akinyemi where’s our scout looking ? 

Bullen will have a network of contacts down south from his Sheffield Wednesday days.

they’ll get chucked a few bob as a finders fee 

Bullen will have a network of contacts down south from his Sheffield Wednesday days.
they’ll get chucked a few bob as a finders fee 

It’s less down to Bullen and more down to Keith Glendinning, our head of recruitment. He’s the one that goes and finds all these guys. We were definitely being lazy before with agents and that’s how we got the likes of Adeloye, O’Connor, Albinson etc but with a proper structure in place we don’t need to use them as much and can find guys for ourselves.

23 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

And Ethon Varian, Dario Zanatta and He who shall not be named, to name a few 

I would be only to pleased to have Ethon Varian back this season, relative to what we’ve managed to pick up as forwards.