The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Murray was dressed formally for our last two wins, but he was back in trackies today for the loss. It's the manager's job to be on top of these things. I expect a top hat and tails next week. 

Is it not ICT? He could run naked round the park or wear a T-Rex costume and it’ll make no difference.  Get your mortgage on a red card and ICT win.  

Sim said there could be marquee signing coming in before the window shuts, a guy that’s in and around the club and essentially owns the club and probably has more a clue what transfer activity goes on but some fan who’s been the classic line “I’ve been told” there’s no money? Surely sim wouldn’t say it if there wasn’t any money available would he risk more back lash from supporters again? 

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

We need to see if IM and John Sim are true to their word that money is available and sign a couple of players before the window closes. I've been told there is no money available that's why we haven't signed anyone.

Who told you that ?

4 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Sim said there could be marquee signing coming in before the window shuts, a guy that’s in and around the club and essentially owns the club and probably has more a clue what transfer activity goes on but some fan who’s been the classic line “I’ve been told” there’s no money? Surely sim wouldn’t say it if there wasn’t any money available would he risk more back lash from supporters again? 

I'm pretty sure Sim can't go 5 minutes without telling a lie. 

Ayr went out and found that forward from England while the best we can do is that clown from Kilmarnock. 

Our transfer dealings, whether it's the fault of the manager or board, have been dire. 

9 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm pretty sure Sim can't go 5 minutes without telling a lie. 

Ayr went out and found that forward from England while the best we can do is that clown from Kilmarnock. 

Our transfer dealings, whether it's the fault of the manager or board, have been dire. 

Not as dire as most of your posts.

10 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

That is a strange take to be honest.  Connell doesn't quite look up to it (calling him a clown is wild) but haven't seen anything to suggest the rest have been "dire", on the whole.

Can tell the Rovers got beat today,  that's for sure.  

Edited by CALDERON

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

That is a strange take to be honest.  Connell doesn't quite look up to it (calling him a clown is wild) but haven't seen anything to suggest the rest have been "dire", on the whole.

Can tell the Rovers got beat today,  that's for sure.  

It's not just the quality of them, it's the method behind it all.  We've left ourselves wildly exposed at either end of the pitch despite this being a glaring weakness to anyone with a brain. Naturally, Murray prioritised midfielders we didn't need. 

It's not just the quality of them, it's the method behind it all.  We've left ourselves wildly exposed at either end of the pitch despite this being a glaring weakness to anyone with a brain. Naturally, Murray prioritised midfielders we didn't need. 
Did he? Going from everything available to anyone who isn't itk, he takes his time to evaluate players and would rather have them in on trial than just hand out contracts for the sake of signing someone. He's being smart in his approach to signings which considering some of the shite we've signed on big wages etc in recent seasons, isn't a bad approach.
He's not going to get every signing right, but name a manager that does.
I'd rather hit form with the squad at the he business end of the season than start strong, then struggle for another win after December, like last season.

14 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Have I missed something? How is Connell a clown?

He's not a clown, but he is also not good enough for this level. Waste of a wage. We were told throughout preseason players would only be signed if they are better than  what's here. In Connells case it appears we signed him as we had no number 9 and still don't. 

He's not a clown, but he is also not good enough for this level. Waste of a wage. We were told throughout preseason players would only be signed if they are better than  what's here. In Connells case it appears we signed him as we had no number 9 and still don't. 

Yeah, he doesn’t seem up to much. My question still stands though. Why is he being called a clown? What has he done to Ro Sham Bo for him to be referred to as a clown?

30 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I'd say he's significantly better than our previous second striker, Man Who Doesn't Exist. 

I'd say he's significantly better than our previous second striker, Man Who Doesn't Exist. 
I'd argue he's the only striker we actually have at the moment.

Get gullan away from that role ASAP and give the guy a chance ffs. (not aimed at you obviously)

33 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I'd argue he's the only striker we actually have at the moment.

Get gullan away from that role ASAP and give the guy a chance ffs. (not aimed at you obviously)

I agree with your diagnosis, but I don't know that I like your solution. Gullan as the sole striker looks isolated and uninvolved unless he drops deep or wide, but I don't think that changes by swapping in Connell. 

From what I've seen of him - which is all of his Rovers' minutes, albeit that's not a huge sample - I don't see that Connell has the skillset to make a difference in that same role. 

I won't bang on about it again, but we need a forward with a different profile. I don't think they necessarily need to be a goalscorer, but they need to be able to hold their own against big centre halfs and bring others into game. Both Gullan and Connell would benefit massively from having that kind of teammate. 

I agree with your diagnosis, but I don't know that I like your solution. Gullan as the sole striker looks isolated and uninvolved unless he drops deep or wide, but I don't think that changes by swapping in Connell. 
From what I've seen of him - which is all of his Rovers' minutes, albeit that's not a huge sample - I don't see that Connell has the skillset to make a difference in that same role. 
I won't bang on about it again, but we need a forward with a different profile. I don't think they necessarily need to be a goalscorer, but they need to be able to hold their own against big centre halfs and bring others into game. Both Gullan and Connell would benefit massively from having that kind of teammate. 
Yeah I agree with that. I don't think either of them are suited for the role we desperately need filled. Iv never been a massive fan of gullan, but I really can't see any reason to talk badly about him as a player right now. He's doing the best he can while playing a role he isn't suited to. We seen last week how much he improved by being able to drop deeper with someone else there to play ahead of him and we've seen he can be effective in a two during the covid season.
I haven't seen enough of Connel but he largely looks pretty useless beyond freeing gullan up against Hamilton.

Having watched the highlights there, I feel Connell was unlucky with his shot against the post. It's clear he's only right footed and took the chance with the outside of his right foot rather than taking a chance on his left. He's had chances to score in almost every game he's played, seems like if he gets one, he'll go on to get a few, but the longer he waits, the more he's going to struggle. As for the rest, Ross has to be hitting the target near the end, no excuses there at all. Nolan, I feel for him, he tried to clear the ball and lost it completely as he turned, letting Lawless in for a free hit on goal. Hopefully he learns from that, I imagine he will. 

Gullan again is doing a thankless task because he's got no support up there for any of the long balls he wins regularly. Instead of greeting for a striker that can do that, perhaps we could just not do that? It's like the definition of madness, keep trying the same thing and expecting a different outcome. 

If we have to go long, it should not be to Gullans head, let him get in behind the defenders and have them turning, get Connolly or Ross, neither of whom are quick, to be closer to him to support any balls he gets into feet and have Easton finding the space made by those players runs. Or better still, keep it on the ground and move it quickly, get between the lines and make teams commit