The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think we have a lot to be positive about at this moment. A lot (a lot) was made of Murray taking his time getting the centre halves in but I don’t think you could accuse him of not getting it right at this point. Both centre halves brought in have looked very assured and seem to have struck up a good partnership quickly, which is especially impressive given that 1) they have played so few senior games and 2) they are both on the young side. Scott Brown has been an astute acquisition and has brought a steel to the midfield as well as offering flexibility in being able to play a few different positions. Easton has been most impressive. It’s not often we get a player who is both so brave on the ball and possesses such quality in how he uses it. Guys like him can be an easy target when they try things and it doesn’t come off but we should enjoy them whilst they are here. The prospect of adding a fit Spencer and Vaughan to the midfield is worth getting excited about, imo. 

A special mention for Gullan who, through no fault of his own, is being asked to play a position where he is not natural. Each time I’ve watched the team this year he’s improved in his all round play and is growing into the role. I was delighted to see him hit the net on Saturday and hopefully he can kick on off the back of that. If the rumours are true that we are still in the market for a couple of signings and we can get the injured guys back and fit then we have the makings of a pretty good squad. I like Ian Murray, he speaks well and I’m pleased he’s our boss. The league will be tight again and no team looks like running away with it, as evidenced by Ayr giving Dundee a pasting as I type. 

I reserve the right to take back everything I’ve just said if we get battered by a Brian Graham inspired Partick Thistle side tomorrow. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

18 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Our defeats to Cove and Dundee are already looking like really poor results in comparison to what others have managed against them. 

In all fairness we didn't really have centre backs, it'll be a different story when we meet them again

Re, Honest men v the Dee,

Thought Frankie did well tonight.

Dundee confirmed what we all thought after they beat us 3 weeks ago, they're still shite!

Ayr could end up the surprise package, I had them pegged for struggling this term but on that showing I doubt they will. Wasn't massively impressed with Akinyema in the first half but he certainly looked good in the 2nd!

Last time Dundee weren't doing brilliantly in this league the cheque book came out at Christmas and they were promoted via the play-offs. 

It's early days to assess where teams will finish, but Ayr are certainly looking good so far. 

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Last time Dundee weren't doing brilliantly in this league the cheque book came out at Christmas and they were promoted via the play-offs. 

It's early days to assess where teams will finish, but Ayr are certainly looking good so far. 

I mean, if signing Paul McMullan on a PCA and Jason Cummings on a free a month after he'd been released by Shrewsbury is the definition of us getting the cheque book out then it's not stretching very far.

I mean, if signing Paul McMullan on a PCA and Jason Cummings on a free a month after he'd been released by Shrewsbury is the definition of us getting the cheque book out then it's not stretching very far.

Could any other team in the league that year have afforded Jason Cummings demands? Probably not.

8 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Could any other team in the league that year have afforded Jason Cummings demands? Probably not.

To be fair though, no other team get the punters through the gates like we do therefore we naturally have a much bigger budget.

It's hardly 'getting the cheque book' out though.

10 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Our defeats to Cove and Dundee are already looking like really poor results in comparison to what others have managed against them. 

... and yet Ayr could only draw with Hamilton, a team we handily dispatched.