The New Raith Rovers Thread

Regarding the John sim interview and his reputation amongst raith rovers fans, Like him or loathe him we have a lot to thank him for!  number 1 being we still have a club to support .  2 He is trying to make the club self sustainable which under today’s financial climate is very difficult. It’s pleasing to hear the GW fiasco won’t effect Rovers profit/ loss accounts is someone else picking that Tab up ? Also John sims yearly salary is being put into the Rovers if I’m correct . I’m not a John Sim apologist either I just think he isn’t media savvy and his ideology is something from the 40” 

Edited by basher brash

4 hours ago, grumswall said:
6 hours ago, Daz80 said:
True, but your previous post just minutes before that said you slaughtered one of our players last week. 

I critiqued millen, I didn't boo him on to the pitch. Quite a difference.

Slaughtered was the word you used. 

On 22/08/2022 at 17:56, SirJimmyofNic said:

Who actually oversees the Club finances on a week to week or month to month basis, since theres no longer a financial Director, it just seems to me that nobody is doing their job apart from the unpaid volunteers , theres not even a feckin team photo this season, 

At a guess it has to be the CEO, after all she has to be responsible for something other than just outsourcing to justify her alleged high salary.

Just to clear things up for those who haven’t listened to the interview but have jumped on what they think was said; Sim did not say that he knew nothing about the Goodwillie deal. 
He said that he went to bed believing we hadn’t signed a striker and woke up to find we had. 
That fits with what was said at the time that the deal was dead around tea-time but resurrected late in the evening. 

Thought it was a good interview, the point made about Sim effectively postponing his retirement to pay off Goodwillie with he money he’s still earning was surprising. 
Good to hear we’re still searching for a ‘marquee signing’ too. 

Was also surprised to hear the thinly veiled criticism of Dan Armstrong and Dylan Tait (or at least Taits parents). 

On a slightly different note are there any rumours going around for this marquee signing or anyone else. We are 4 days away from a very tough game and a week from the transfer window shutting. I thought we might have heard something.

I sat next to taits family a few times before the transfer to hibs. I can 100% see where sim would be coming from with regard to that. Armstrong was also someone who thought himself better than us and has subsequently done the square root of hee haw elsewhere. If tait doesn't have a good career it won't be down to lack of ability.

I haven't heard anything about potential signings. I quite like the fact that there's not been widespread knowledge of signings this summer. It's boring when you see the pen gif after knowing x is signing for days beforehand.

Just had a listen to the interview. Some of my thoughts:

• He seems to suggest that we only recently discovered about the unpaid advertising boards. That begs the question why? 
  •  He mentions 3 occasions where we almost went bust over the years yet the second of those he says the club haven't gotten the bottom of why it happened, which seems bizarre to say the least. 
  • The bit about succession planning is a relief to hear. 
  • I think when he's talking about Barry Smith, he means that he had a lot of time for him as a person rather than as a manager. 
  • The reference to McGlynn sending a 'minder'.  I take it that he's referring to the guy that came in to help out in the dugout during that period. Darren Murray I think it was? Not convinced there's anything that sinister in what he's saying other than that this was McGlynn's idea rather than Smith's. 
  • There's no doubt at all that McGlynn had run his course in Sim's eyes. 
  • I'm not convinced he's 100% sold on Murray.  I'm not sure that Murray will be that grateful for his comments about the signings of Nolan and O'Riordan but maybe he was looking at it from a point of view that we were left with no option but to take punts like that considering the state of the market. 
  • When he refers to the Goodwillie deal, he says he went to bed "resigned" to us not signing a striker. No suggestion there to me that it was anything other than a deal he thought had collapsed being unexpectedly revived. 
  • Interesting that he was keen for us to bring back Ryan Hardie when he was at Blackpool. Shame we couldn't have made that deal happen. 
  • Overall it was a decent enough listen. I don't think he'll leave the club high and dry which is the main thing we need to worry about. 

I recall being in the Raith suite after the 2-2 draw with Falkirk in 19/20 when Armstrong basically dragged us back into the game. 

Sim was addressing the room after the game and was commenting on Armstrong's attitude and how he wasn't sure if he wanted him at the club just as the guy was coming up the corridor to accept his MoM award.

I did love Sim's incredulity at the fact Armstrong had a nicer car than him😆

2 hours ago, renton said:

I recall being in the Raith suite after the 2-2 draw with Falkirk in 19/20 when Armstrong basically dragged us back into the game. 

Sim was addressing the room after the game and was commenting on Armstrong's attitude and how he wasn't sure if he wanted him at the club just as the guy was coming up the corridor to accept his MoM award.

I did love Sim's incredulity at the fact Armstrong had a nicer car than him😆

He is certainly a “character “ is oor John, I don’t think he rates anyone in football tbh and will never be satisfied maybe that’s helped him become a success in his career 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t think he will leave us high n dry tbh but good to hear he is thinking about succession , I think he is a dour auld fife boy but he definitely cares about the club/town just not sure he would be a guid laugh on a night out 😂😂

Dario Zanatta has left and joined Accies. 

I'm surprised, but only at the sudden nature and lack of rumour beforehand. It had become pretty clear that Murray didn't really see a place for Zanatta, and despite being one of the standout players in the division at the start of last season, I can't imagine there'll be too many tears shed at him leaving. 

Always a risk to let a player leave for a team in the same division, but Murray obviously believes he can put the money to better use. Maybe he really is funding a marquee striker... 

He'll do a turn for them until about Xmas and at least we've just played them. So frustrating really as he is a top talent when it goes well for him but an absolute passenger when it isn't. 

No mention of a fee so probably happy to let him go and get his wage back into the playing budget.