The New Raith Rovers Thread

16 hours ago, pub car king said:

Well at least there is an answer on the Goodwillie funding, its essentially coming out of Sims pocket.

K107 have asked the questions we wanted asking and have got some information out there. At the end of the day they are local community radio and they need to temper asking these questions with maintaining a good relationship with the club. So to that extent you won't get a Jeremy Paxman cross examination. 

There were so many snippets came out of this for example the pitch side adverts had been unpaid for years and nobody had bothered to take them down. 

Very interesting comment that when McGlynn was in hospital he sent someone down to check on Smith who was temping. That's a whole can of worms there. 

I'm more than a bit circumspect about some of what we were told.

Re the pitch side advertising. That type of business is all about dialogue and communication. You don't just steam in and rip them down, you go to the customer and offer them a deal to pay for next season in advance so they get to keep it free for now. Thats how a commercial agent works, not by doing nothing for 18 months, not by being too shy to pick up a phone and certainly not by out-sourcing it to your pals in their new marketing firm.

Re David Goodwillie, is it really coming out of Sims pocket or is it being paid by the wealthiest man on the board? If it's coming out of Colin Smart's wallet then surely it'd be money that would have been coming the Rovers way anyway and so in effect Rovers are still losing out.  I've said all along the 4 on the board who voted to sign him should bear the financial responsibility of a terrible bit of business and if Ms McCartney has also (as it seems) had a paw in this then she should be paying something too, if the rumour mill is true she's on about the same wage as GW and is giving about the same return it seems.

Titan is proving a white elephant, wonder what phrase will get hung on the new 4 story Hub when it's built? 😂

Not sure I believe the story about JM & PS either, those two are tight and Mr Sim has no love for McGlynn despite what he'll say.  Rovers planned to Sack McGlynn in April and give the job to Smith, the fact that Smith opted to go with McGlynn to TFS and not take the managers job at Starks tells it's own story.... or maybe he's just trying to avoid spending extra time in the CEO's company too.

Kudos to GK for his interview, but I too think there were a few open goals that could have been taken.

17 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Entirely possible given the time difference. 

You don't think the Chairman and owner wouldn't be called regardless of the time difference to tell him that a deal of this magnitude, one that was supposedly dead and buried was being resurrected and actually completed? Nah! I'm not buying that.

Mind you if they couldn't be arsed calling him why would they pick up the phone and warn a major investor that the deal the CEO had personally insisted wouldn't happen was going to be completed.

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

Not sure I believe the story about JM & PS either, those two are tight and Mr Sim has no love for McGlynn despite what he'll say.  Rovers planned to Sack McGlynn in April and give the job to Smith, the fact that Smith opted to go with McGlynn to TFS and not take the managers job at Starks tells it's own story.... or maybe he's just trying to avoid spending extra time in the CEO's company too.

Kudos to GK for his interview, but I too think there were a few open goals that could have been taken.

I was of the opinion that they wanted to punt JMcG and install PS until seasons end only, are you suggesting they offered PS an extension and the role?

7 minutes ago, pub car king said:

From the interview (which you should listen too as there is a lot in there.) Sim was happy for JMcG to go and felt his time was up and he wanted Smith to be manager. 

It was pretty obvious at the time they made McGlynn a lowball offer that they knew he wouldn't accept for that exact reason. Seems a bit underhand to me, if you think the guys time is up tell him so and make him no offer rather than a deliberately poor one.

2 hours ago, Scottydog said:

You don't think the Chairman and owner wouldn't be called regardless of the time difference to tell him that a deal of this magnitude, one that was supposedly dead and buried was being resurrected and actually completed? Nah! I'm not buying that.

Mind you if they couldn't be arsed calling him why would they pick up the phone and warn a major investor that the deal the CEO had personally insisted wouldn't happen was going to be completed.

I don't think it's unreasonable to surmise that, after giving the green light to the deal in the first place, Sim gave the CEO or whoever the authority to conclude the deal should anything change rather than him staying up all night in the off chance Clyde changed their mind. 

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

From the interview (which you should listen too as there is a lot in there.) Sim was happy for JMcG to go and felt his time was up and he wanted Smith to be manager. 

Planning to when the hen stops bending my ear.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

I was of the opinion that they wanted to punt JMcG and install PS until seasons end only, are you suggesting they offered PS an extension and the role?

Nope, my take was that Smith was too be offered the managers job.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to surmise that, after giving the green light to the deal in the first place, Sim gave the CEO or whoever the authority to conclude the deal should anything change rather than him staying up all night in the off chance Clyde changed their mind. 

The deal was worth over £0.2M once everything was said and done. The deal had collapsed at tea-time over here and as far as JS was concerned it was dead. IIRC the deal with Clyde was agreed it was DG's demands that couldn't be met?  If he wanted a longer contract, more money or both it would have massively impacted the final deal and I just don't see John Sim not wanting to be in the loop.

I suppose he could have pre-instructed his CEO otherwise, it is possible "Ok Karen, if they come back to the table I'll go as high as £1,500/week for 2.5 years but not a Baht more!"  Of course it's possible but I just find it unlikely, wouldn't he at least want to know he'd got his man?

21 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Nope, my take was that Smith was too be offered the managers job.

Maybe I wasn’t clear. I had said in February that I felt the BoD was setting up to fire JMcG and have PS take over as caretaker, to take some heat off them. But I always assumed in that that they would only give him the role through seasons end. It’s your understanding they intended PS to assume the managers roles going forward through this season?

31 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Maybe I wasn’t clear. I had said in February that I felt the BoD was setting up to fire JMcG and have PS take over as caretaker, to take some heat off them. But I always assumed in that that they would only give him the role through seasons end. It’s your understanding they intended PS to assume the managers roles going forward through this season?

Whatever the in's and out's of McGlynn n Smith, IMHO we've got a far better management team in place now, whether thats by good foresight by the board or they've just been really fortunate it worked out

As for the nameless one, I still say that deal was done in early December before the rumour leaked 

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

2 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Whatever the in's and out's of McGlynn n Smith, IMHO we've got a far better management team in place now, whether thats by good foresight by the board or they've just been really fortunate it worked out

As for the nameless one, I still say that deal was done before the rumour leaked 

Big shout that, they've done nothing to even match McGlynn & Smith so far. Lets hope you're right though

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

One for those intent on tearing into Liam Dick and Ross Millen. They are the top two crossers of the ball in the Championship so far. Dick with 71.43% accuracy and Millen top with 72.73%. 

It's pretty incredible to think that within the last few years, our fans booed one of our own players being subbed on and Kyle Benedictus come out in the post match interview asking fans to not act like that as it had absolutely ruined the player's confidence. 

One for those intent on tearing into Liam Dick and Ross Millen. They are the top two crossers of the ball in the Championship so far. Dick with 71.43% accuracy and Millen top with 72.73%. 
Have to give both the credit they deserve. Millen had a good game yesterday after I slaughtered him last week. Dick has also done well once we've had a settled back 4. Where do they rate on the areas they are putting them in to though? It's one thing to be accurate but a different thing for them to be contributing to goals through doing so.

It's pretty incredible to think that within the last few years, our fans booed one of our own players being subbed on and Kyle Benedictus come out in the post match interview asking fans to not act like that as it had absolutely ruined the player's confidence. 
The way Allan was treated was absolutely disgusting. He wasn't really good enough but to boo any player stepping on to the pitch to play for our club is pathetic.

31 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Not disputing it, but what site do you visit for stats like that?