The New Raith Rovers Thread

Sim says Ian Murray is working tirelessly on new business, and basically echoes what the manager and Scott Agnew have said recently, which is that they're looking for a new striker but it's a slow market etc. 

There's money in the budget, just waiting for the right one. Mentions that they're looking for a marquee signing, but that it's often a matter of luck as much as anything else. Sounds like there's someone in mind but that it'll go down to the wire. 

Also, springboarding off of that, suggests that Dylan Tait's move was forced through because his parents kicked off on deadline day, and also that Sim went to his bed on 31 January believing we hadn't signed a striker, and woke up to find the Goodwillie deal complete. 

Well, all in all, I'd encourage people to listen to that when it goes up. 

I don't think John Sim is a man who's helped by headlines. I'm not for a second suggesting Alan Temple did this, but if you wanted to just pull snappy quotes from his interviews, he's a dream. He can't help himself when it comes to wee snidey digs every now and again, aimed in all directions. He's also unfailingly stubborn, and very agile when it comes to taking responsibility for things. He's at great pains to say that he's not the owner (he is), he wasn't the chairman (he was), and he even suggests at one point that him getting the blame for the Goodwillie debacle was a pass-the-parcel dynamic and he just happened to be the one in the chair. 

However, I do think he comes out of that full interview with some small credit. While I wouldn't want to go for a pint with him, and I certainly wouldn't want to work directly under him, I think he's a realist, and there are far worse kinds of people who could hold all the strings of your football club, if you have to be locked into that scenario. 

The biggest priority for the likes of the Trust has to be putting a proper succession plan in place, but John Sim is more complex than being the complete villain that he has appea red to be at times recently. Talk of shutting down the club etc is ego and stubbornness, but I don't get the impression there was any actual intention in it. 

Edit: I don't think I've explained this very well, I think it comes across too pro-Sim, which is not my intention. What I'm trying to get at is that, as an owner, he doesn't strike me as negligent or neglectful, he seems to be engaged and across what's going on. I certainly don't think he's malicious. What I do think is that he's arrogant and stubborn to a fault, and his twin instincts are to double down when he's criticised, and also avoid claiming responsibility for things. Both of which are huge issues. 

Edited by Against The Machine

17 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Well, all in all, I'd encourage people to listen to that when it goes up. 

I don't think John Sim is a man who's helped by headlines. I'm not for a second suggesting Alan Temple did this, but if you wanted to just pull snappy quotes from his interviews, he's a dream. He can't help himself when it comes to wee snidey digs every now and again, aimed in all directions. He's also unfailingly stubborn, and very agile when it comes to taking responsibility for things. He's at great pains to say that he's not the owner (he is), he wasn't the chairman (he was), and he even suggests at one point that him getting the blame for the Goodwillie debacle was a pass-the-parcel dynamic and he just happened to be the one in the chair. 

However, I do think he comes out of that full interview with some small credit. While I wouldn't want to go for a pint with him, and I certainly wouldn't want to work directly under him, I think he's a realist, and there are far worse kinds of people who could hold all the strings of your football club, if you have to be locked into that scenario. 

The biggest priority for the likes of the Trust has to be putting a proper succession plan in place, but John Sim is more complex than being the complete villain that he has appea red to be at times recently. Talk of shutting down the club etc is ego and stubbornness, but I don't get the impression there was any actual intention in it. 

Edit: I don't think I've explained this very well, I think it comes across too pro-Sim, which is not my intention. What I'm trying to get at is that, as an owner, he doesn't strike me as negligent or neglectful, he seems to be engaged and across what's going on. I certainly don't think he's malicious. What I do think is that he's arrogant and stubborn to a fault, and his twin instincts are to double down when he's criticised, and also avoid claiming responsibility for things. Both of which are huge issues. 

Appreciate you putting up this thread 👍🏻

Sims heart,  and crucially wallet, are in the right place.  However he isn't really someone you want to be public facing 

It's becoming clear that Mcglynn really underperformed last year and it's still having an impact.  

44 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Appreciate you putting up this thread 👍🏻

No worries, happy to do it. I was listening to that live, so if anyone who listens later with the ability to pause and rewind wants to correct anything or has a different interpretation of any points, please keep me right. 

Really infuriating that streams have been blocked this season. Being someone that works weekends, I’d normally purchase the stream via whatever team is at home and watch this way.
Pretty easy to find a stream for today's game but it's not great quality.

There is a lot to process with that Sim interview about a lot of different subjects. 

He was very candid about a number of things inuding McGlynn, the signings that have been made this season and historically as well as the financial position of the club. 

Sim I think is ultimately a bit of a dour old man from Fife and that's jut how he comes across. 

1 hour ago, Jack Rae2 said:

Tried. Constant stuttering followed by cutting out every other minute. Just shite that you canny just pay for a stream from club.

Not sure what stream you tried but mines ran smoothly all game. Not best picture quality but watchable. 

Just now, renton said:

Guessing we'll be looking to offload Zanatta in the next week. The fact he's an unused sub and Coulson is getting in ahead of him suggests Murray really does not fancy him.

The man himself will be on to give us an update in due course...