The New Raith Rovers Thread

8 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Poor yellow card for booting the ball away, needs to get this out of his system quickly.

Someone else did it later on in the game and no booking. The referee as I’ve already stated earlier had a fucking horror show. The inconsistency  really gets on my tits. I know they have a hard job but they never make it easy for themselves. 

5 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Someone else did it later on in the game and no booking. The referee as I’ve already stated earlier had a fucking horror show. The inconsistency  really gets on my tits. I know they have a hard job but they never make it easy for themselves. 

Liam Dick was booked early in the game and halved a Morton player late in the second half, I was aghast that he wasn't given his jotters.

1 minute ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Liam Dick was booked early in the game and halved a Morton player late in the second half, I was aghast that he wasn't given his jotters.

Ah yes on Quitongo (who himself should have been double yellow’d) so I suppose not sending anyone off was a bonus. Still honking decision making overall. Main stand linesman also, completely missing Gullan being elbowed but was quick to get his flag up for a foul on a Morton player later in the game. Not asking for much 🤷‍♂️😂

Great win though and pleased for Murray. As other have stated, centre half pairing were absolutely fine, O’Riordan dealt with Quitongo, and Muirhead literally did the square root of f**k all for the entire match. So that was pleasing. The more the two of them play together the better and more comfortable they will start to look. 

Will be very interesting once we get Matthews and Spencer back as to what Murray decides to do with the midfield.

Stanton looked much better today, he was everywhere, winning headers and getting back to tackle, but having Brown behind him meant we didn’t have to rely on him solely in front of the back four. 

All in all a good days work, enjoy what’s left of your night rovers “fans” 🤪

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Really surprised at the thoughts of folk on Easton. I’ve not really read the forum much recently, is that the general consensus? I struggle to see how anyone watches us play at thinks that Easton isn’t comfortably one of our best technical players. He’s calm in possession, had a great eye for a pass and doesn’t panic when he gets the ball in tight areas. He’s been an excellent signing, for me. No sure what folk are really looking for if they think he’s not been a good addition? 

I’m with you Hank.

Just eyepatch Ro Sham Bo’s posts. If you read his from today you’d of thought we got gubbed if you didn’t know the score.

Been to all 3 league games and I’m starting to see that work rate Murray promised in pre-season. Stanton today in that 2nd half was great, nobody wanted it more.

Fair play to Gullan too, tough task feeding on little and had a hand in both goals.

1st goal was well worked and Aidan’s left foot 😍.

Plenty positives inc the two CB’s esp O’Riordan, and we’re only 3 weeks away from another two first team players coming back. 

2 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Plenty positives inc the two CB’s esp O’Riordan, and we’re only 3 weeks away from another two first team players coming back. 

Not sure about that. Spencer is two weeks from starting practice with the team…then probably another couple before playing any decent time. Matthews is still a month or so out, and Vaughan close to two.

I agree that Millen is suffering a bit from being Tumilty's replacement (same with Dick replacing MacDonald) but don't think it'd do the player any harm to have a natural RB in the side as competition. 

Quitongo was a pest and should have been booked long before he was for persistent fouling but I admired his sportsmanship when he applauded O'Riordan for tracking him well and the players gave each other a wee pat when preparing for the consequent corner. Nice to see bits of respect like that in games. 

I don't think we're far away from a really decent side. A big unit up top and competition for Millen wouldn't go amiss.

I think Dick has stepped up a bit, you can see him taking responsibility and talking the two CBs through the game. Under Murray's system he isn't being asked to get to the byline as much as was required in McGlynn's system. The lack of inverted wingers in Murray's system is also meaning he's not as exposed.

On the other side though, I find Millen to be too slow in moving the ball going forward. There are times when (typically) Easton would find a cute cross field pass but it would take Millen about 4 touches to move the ball to Connolly.

That and he isn't the most aggressive of defenders either. I dunno, it's early season but I don't think it's just relative to Tumilty that he's suffering. 

I do agree that moaning about Easton is well wide of the mark. He's technically very good while also working extremely hard. You can play him deeper and he'll still work his way forwards to support an attack and then get back into position. He's very clever with the ball as well. In a division where midfielders can often be technical wizards or hard runners, its nor often you see one who does both.

Easton looks like he’ll do okay for us. You don’t get voted League 1 POTY if you’re shite.

I’ve definitely seen a lot worse than Millen at the Rovers. 

Morton, despite the good start, didn’t look the best of teams. After we humped Peterhead 6-0 the majority of posts on here were people creaming themselves; the opposite of the infamous knicker-wetters. That didn’t turn out to be a decent barometer for future results.

We haven’t experienced injuries to defenders yet. If that happens we’ll be in difficulties again, and we are crossing our fingers that the midfielders can score enough goals to make up for the lack of forwards.

Most sensible view so far has been ‘wait until the end of the first quarter’. That’ll give a better indication of where we are in the pecking order.

Really surprised at the thoughts of folk on Easton. I’ve not really read the forum much recently, is that the general consensus? I struggle to see how anyone watches us play at thinks that Easton isn’t comfortably one of our best technical players. He’s calm in possession, had a great eye for a pass and doesn’t panic when he gets the ball in tight areas. He’s been an excellent signing, for me. No sure what folk are really looking for if they think he’s not been a good addition? 

Think folk are looking at him being the new Lewis Vaughan and scoring every game. I’ve been impressed with him.

In one of the early games, I'm guessing probably against Stirling Albion, Easton lost the ball twice in fairly quick succession trying to be too cute, too close to his own goal. 

I don't think he's done it again since, but it's still colouring some people's perception. 

To be fair, I do think it's a part of his game that you've just got to live with, he takes those chances and the majority of the time they come off, but I also imagine it's why Murray left him out against Aberdeen and Dundee. 

2 hours ago, renton said:

I think Dick has stepped up a bit, you can see him taking responsibility and talking the two CBs through the game. Under Murray's system he isn't being asked to get to the byline as much as was required in McGlynn's system. The lack of inverted wingers in Murray's system is also meaning he's not as exposed.

On the other side though, I find Millen to be too slow in moving the ball going forward. There are times when (typically) Easton would find a cute cross field pass but it would take Millen about 4 touches to move the ball to Connolly.

That and he isn't the most aggressive of defenders either. I dunno, it's early season but I don't think it's just relative to Tumilty that he's suffering. 

I do agree that moaning about Easton is well wide of the mark. He's technically very good while also working extremely hard. You can play him deeper and he'll still work his way forwards to support an attack and then get back into position. He's very clever with the ball as well. In a division where midfielders can often be technical wizards or hard runners, its nor often you see one who does both.

Yeah I must admit, seeing Easton take the ball in his own half in the closing minutes and still have the confidence to beat his man and slow the game down is something that’s a joy to see. He doesn’t panic. His work rate is faultless as well. I think he’ll be a really good signing for us. 

Personally,  Easton reminds me of Allan Walker, in that he's just one of those guys I can't take to. 

Whenever he makes a mistake he reacts by having a go at whoever he intended to pass it to as if it was their fault. An example yesterday was when he floated a long freekick a foot or two over O'Riordan's head (not for the first time) and then started berating O'Riordan as if it was his fault for not being 8 foot tall.  

I just don't like that in players. Walker was always bad for it and Millen is quite bad for it also I've noticed. 

Granted he played alright yesterday but I don't see a place for him in the team when Spencer and Matthews are fit. 

7 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Personally,  Easton reminds me of Allan Walker, in that he's just one of those guys I can't take to. 

Whenever he makes a mistake he reacts by having a go at whoever he intended to pass it to as if it was their fault. An example yesterday was when he floated a long freekick a foot or two over O'Riordan's head (not for the first time) and then started berating O'Riordan as if it was his fault for not being 8 foot tall.  

I just don't like that in players. Walker was always bad for it and Millen is quite bad for it also I've noticed. 

Granted he played alright yesterday but I don't see a place for him in the team when Spencer and Matthews are fit. 

It must be murder sitting near you at games. 

14 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Don't agree with that. I think he's got a place in the side on many occasions, playing in a midfield two, like they did in the pre season cup is not one of them. 

Regarding the free kicks, those times were where my annoyance at Connolly came from, both times the ball went over O'Riordan, Connolly stood and watched. There was no effort to anticipate the ball going over him or him missing the header at all, it was a bit frustrating as you should always be on your toes. Made up for it second half though 

5 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

It must be murder sitting near you at games. 

It's probably still better than the belters I sit a few rows behind, one of whom stands and screams nonsense for 90 minutes. Yesterday it was at the ref, screaming "it's the same foul" over and over after Nolan was booked for shirt pulling and Quitongo wasn't. I don't wish ill on people but that lads having a heart attack before the season ends. 😂

Edited by CountryBumpkin

15 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Don't agree with that. I think he's got a place in the side on many occasions, playing in a midfield two, like they did in the pre season cup is not one of them. 

Regarding the free kicks, those times were where my annoyance at Connolly came from, both times the ball went over O'Riordan, Connolly stood and watched. There was no effort to anticipate the ball going over him or him missing the header at all, it was a bit frustrating as you should always be on your toes. Made up for it second half though 

A lot for me depends on whether the second half version of Sam Stanton starts showing up more often.

If we play the same formation as the last couple of games, and Stanton can do more of what he did second half yesterday,  I would be inclined to keep Stanton in the side in that role and swap out Easton and Brown for Spencer and Matthews. 

Of course it could change if we actually get a decent striker in and start playing two up front more often. 

Without a fit Vaughan, Easton for me is the key to open up defences. IM needs to find a formation that allows Easton, Connolly to play when Matthews, Spencer are fit. If we play one up top, I would put Easton in at 10 to link the play. He has an eye for a goal and also a shot. The problem may be more how does IM play Brown who he rates along side Matthews and Spencer.