The New Raith Rovers Thread

5 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Despite his goal today dick isn't amazing at getting forward. He's not really being asked to get forward as much this season so far though and he does look better for it. It seems to me he's better when he's told to just go and do x rather than the x, y and z that mcglynn wanted him to do. Ross millen should not be playing championship football so I won't draw any comparison between the two.

He got forward a lot in the first half and Ross ignored him and instead decided losing the ball was the preferable option. 

3 minutes ago, Graeme57 said:

Scott brown is improving every game I think he has been an excellent signing 

I wouldn't go that far. Thought he was pretty quiet today. 

I would say that Brown has looked Murray's best signing but in general the jury is still very much out on them all. 

Millen is awful and we've handed him a two year deal,  Easton for me is not good enough to be a regular starter and should be dropped when Spencer and Matthews return, and Nolan could potentially play his way into form but he's a bit lightweight for me. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see Brown become our right back once we get our midfield back fit.

2 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

He got forward a lot in the first half and Ross ignored him and instead decided losing the ball was the preferable option. 

Ross is miles off it just now. Really needs to get a grip of himself or he'll be going nowhere in the game. 

He did in fairness. He had a good game today. I wouldn't have said he was motm but I was struggling to pick one so don't have any real complaints about him getting it.

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I would say that Brown has looked Murray's best signing but in general the jury is still very much out on them all. 

Millen is awful and we've handed him a two year deal,  Easton for me is not good enough to be a regular starter and should be dropped when Spencer and Matthews return, and Nolan could potentially play his way into form but he's a bit lightweight for me. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see Brown become our right back once we get our midfield back fit.

Brown at RB would be a mistake, much as Millen on a two year deal was a big mistake (in hindsight). We need a young, hungry RB to stock behind Millen, and get on for the last 15-20 minute for a number of games. I doubt we can afford to simply bench Millen and pay an experienced replacement.

Brown shows his limitations at CB already, and would be worse at permanent RB.

I thought Easton was very good in the later part of the game today. He doesn't panic on the ball and has the skill to just calm things down when required. He hasn't done much in an attacking sense so far but I actually quite like him.

Spencer isn't far from being available with Matthews not far at the back so hopefully that is helping to spur on stanton and Easton to start playing better now. Spencer has to start when fully fit. I'd have Matthews over brown as well although I'm quite happy with brown now he's back in midfield.

Brown at RB would be a mistake, much as Millen on a two year deal was a big mistake (in hindsight). We need a young, hungry RB to stock behind Millen, and get on for the last 15-20 minute for a number of games. I doubt we can afford to simply bench Millen and pay an experienced replacement.
I'd give you a game at rb over millen Tx. The fact we've gave him a two year deal is ridiculous. I honestly don't see what he offers to the team. He isn't fast, doesn't have the game knowledge to be in the correct positions, isn't particularly good in the air for someone his size, consistently seems to question if he should press or drop off which results in him being nowhere near where he should be and his passing is generally quite terrible. He's been involved in two incidents which could have cost us a goal in the two league games. Macdonald was ultimately to blame last week for the goal but millen refused to press or drop and was just nowhere near any threat. Today he plays a short backpass which macdonald was a little lucky in it hitting off Quitongo for a gk. Summed up, he's pish.

1 minute ago, grumswall said:
6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I'd give you a game at rb over millen Tx. The fact we've gave him a two year deal is ridiculous. I honestly don't see what he offers to the team. He isn't fast, doesn't have the game knowledge to be in the correct positions, isn't particularly good in the air for someone his size, consistently seems to question if he should press or drop off which results in him being nowhere near where he should be and his passing is generally quite terrible. He's been involved in two incidents which could have cost us a goal in the two league games. Macdonald was ultimately to blame last week for the goal but millen refused to press or drop and was just nowhere near any threat. Today he plays a short backpass which macdonald was a little lucky in it hitting off Quitongo for a gk. Summed up, he's pish.

I’m better at LB, but still woeful. Noting Brown is on two yellows already…does he play golf too?

8 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I thought Easton was very good in the later part of the game today. He doesn't panic on the ball and has the skill to just calm things down when required. He hasn't done much in an attacking sense so far but I actually quite like him.

Spencer isn't far from being available with Matthews not far at the back so hopefully that is helping to spur on stanton and Easton to start playing better now. Spencer has to start when fully fit. I'd have Matthews over brown as well although I'm quite happy with brown now he's back in midfield.

Brown, Matthews and Spencer midfield 3 for me, Easton out wide with Connolly on the other side supporting the forward. 

I’m better at LB, but still woeful. Noting Brown is on two yellows already…does he play golf too?
I'm fairness his yellow today was a bit harsh considering the fouls that where let go. He just seems a blood n snotters type of player.

Iv said it on the match thread but for 18 o'riordan looks a very good player. He could go quite far in the game if he keeps improving. I'm quite impressed by him so far. Him and Nolan aren't particularly loud, like we're used to in our cbs but they're both looking good enough for this level.

Brown, Matthews and Spencer midfield 3 for me, Easton out wide with Connolly on the other side supporting the forward. 
I haven't seen Easton out wide but what I have seen of him, he isn't particularly quick and is better with the ball in at his feet, so I'd be more inclined to have him in a 3. Spencer needs to start when fit, Matthews will give the drive box to box while you play brown as the holding option. There's alot of options at cm and getting the ballance right could be key to our season.

Really surprised at the thoughts of folk on Easton. I’ve not really read the forum much recently, is that the general consensus? I struggle to see how anyone watches us play at thinks that Easton isn’t comfortably one of our best technical players. He’s calm in possession, had a great eye for a pass and doesn’t panic when he gets the ball in tight areas. He’s been an excellent signing, for me. No sure what folk are really looking for if they think he’s not been a good addition? 

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Whilst we’re at it, folk are being really harsh on Millen, as well. I don’t see he does much wrong. He’s not Tumilty, but he was never going to be. 

A couple of times in the first half, he looked like he gave up against a challenge, hopefully Murray can coach this out of him.

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

A couple of times in the first half, he looked like he gave up against a challenge, hopefully Murray can coach this out of him.

Also the time he tried to get a free kick when he basically just ran into the Morton LB. Terrible. He should be given simple instructions, in order to not get a fucking nose bleed and just take a touch and cross it in the box. That’s it. 

8 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Also the time he tried to get a free kick when he basically just ran into the Morton LB. Terrible. He should be given simple instructions, in order to not get a fucking nose bleed and just take a touch and cross it in the box. That’s it. 

Or even better, don't do that, give the ball to a team mate and then drop back to cover a counter attack or something 

Whilst we’re at it, folk are being really harsh on Millen, as well. I don’t see he does much wrong. He’s not Tumilty, but he was never going to be. 
He doesn't need to be tumilty. He just needs to be semi competent at his job and unfortunately he doesn't look like he is. He's a 6"+ rb who shirks out of tackles, aerial duals and slows our play down every time we get the ball to pass it backwards or sideward, which is fine if like today Connolly is being doubled up on at times but even when he isn't, millen is too slow to play the pass. He isn't a championship level player as much as I would like him to be. He's also so fucking slow. I wouldn't be surprised if he was still walking out to his car at starks right now he's that slow.

19 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He could have cost us two goals today quite easily. Murray needs to accept he's messed up there and find an alternative ASAP. 

I'm with Hank. Not seen Millen do much wrong. Too many unfair comparisons to Tumilty.

And to make matters worse, Liam Dick is nowhere near as bad as many make out. He had a(nother) good game and took his goal well.

Pleasantly surprised by O'Riordan's composure. He will be good, and,  along with Nolan, who didn't really put a foot wrong, we now have something we've not had at centre half for a while - mobility.