The New Raith Rovers Thread

17 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Fair enough regarding the cost then. I guess that it's just an overpriced product in general, much like Championship football I suppose. 

The club are definitely going to have to push it harder than they are though if they want to generate interest. 

They could have you hanged from the floodlights at at half time. That would be a laugh. 

John Sim and his puppet CEO Karen McCartney are ruining our club.  The money wasted on Goodwilie and the Titan (or the Titanic as it's called when they're not around) is an absolute disgrace.  They are the reason no one is interested in hospitality.  Between them they are running the club into the ground.

3 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

That is not kicking the can. Kicking the can means choosing to defer a decision on something difficult. My point is that fans have next to no power or influence when it comes the board change we would like to see. That much is proven at our club this year alone. To a certain, regrettable extent, we have to suck it up whilst Sim is in charge. We've seen good season ticket sales and strips purchased, so fans are clearly not of a mind to withhold money from the club. We can't buy him out unless he wants to sell, and fan-related appointments to the board can only exert as much influence as the owner and chief exec allow them to. Noisy protests and cardboard placards make a scene but wouldn't make Sim easier to deal with. More likely, as threatened, he walks away and closes us down.

So we're not kicking the can anywhere. We're not deferring anything because it's not ours to defer. We need to stay on our toes though. Who knows what circus will ensue once he decides he's had enough.

I'll pick this one up given Scary was first responded to my post. I don't see why things would need to be set up as an "us versus them". I just think that if Sim isn't willing to explain what happens when he's no longer around, then the club would be in a far better position to respond to such a crisis. Nobody is suggesting not to buy season tickets, or to withhold money from the club. I'm not buying that Sim would close us down in a heartbeat. 

I'd far rather put money into a fund which could be built up over 10 to 15 years with a small direct debit for if the shit hits the fan. It won't be for everyone to contribute given current circumstances but I'd rather that there's at least some work to give us a head-start until the current owner explains his exit strategy. 

58 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'll pick this one up given Scary was first responded to my post. I don't see why things would need to be set up as an "us versus them". I just think that if Sim isn't willing to explain what happens when he's no longer around, then the club would be in a far better position to respond to such a crisis. Nobody is suggesting not to buy season tickets, or to withhold money from the club. I'm not buying that Sim would close us down in a heartbeat. 

I'd far rather put money into a fund which could be built up over 10 to 15 years with a small direct debit for if the shit hits the fan. It won't be for everyone to contribute given current circumstances but I'd rather that there's at least some work to give us a head-start until the current owner explains his exit strategy. 

That's an initiative I'd contribute to. As I said, we need to be on our toes.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

image.gif.a08cf3d5c8718665e5b9eea716b9674a.gif

You're like a broken record. A boring one at that. Move on. The majority of people are trying to. 
You need to remember that your chairman at the time actually came out in press to tell fans to like it or f**k off and support another team. If that doesn't concern you then f**k knows what does.

No doubt part of the hospitality package problem is the lack of marketing, but for me the price is far too expensive for what you get.
£70 for a 3 course meal, with a glass of fizz chucked in. Then you add in the obligatory book of 50/50 tickets and the guess the crowd competition, plus a few drinks and it's pushing towards £100. And you get the bonus of a partially restricted view seat in the Main Stand.
For corporate guests, they need to more proactive than that with the pricing. For example, offer reduced prices if a full table is booked etc etc. 
For season ticket holders, the £10 discount is poor too. I would rather sit in my usual seat than the Main Stand so straight away the 'matchday experience' is reduced. They need to come up with a better deal than that to tempt season ticket holders to book it.
A new pricing structure incorporating a complimentary bar either pre or post match would be worth considering. I have no idea what other clubs offer, but I can't imagine that many are less attractive than our offering.

I'm quite sad and pragmatic with money at times. In this time of increased costs so will others. Breaking it down as a regular fan. It's £20 for a ticket and realistically £20 for a 3 course meal in a bar or restaurant. I can easily see how fans are not taking it up. Closing off the whole area around the portacabin and selling it as a fanzone within the ground is something more appealing imo.

Dundee offers hospitality packages from £75
Morton £109 (£10 discount for STHs)
Cove Rangers £75 for off-site hospitality
Partick £105 (£15 discount for STHs)
Looks to me like the club has the pricing right?? 
I'm sure you'll be aware of the external factors affecting customers and businesses alike? Something that will absolutely be impacting Raith Rovers, their supporters, local businesses and community in general?

Mortons is incorrect in comparison. That's the price for a far more exciting hospitality experience with a complimentary bar throughout the experience. It's roughly the same price as at Starks without the bar offer.

I mean its not tiny, but its still a portacabin after all, you can see just how big it is from the stand. We were in it when the home shirt was released, its cosy with 20 and has some space cut off for a kitchen
So it's probably better used as changing rooms for the pitch when not used on match days. They can use the toilets at the corner of the main stand. If its only used by directors its a complete waste of money.

1 minute ago, foreverarover said:
6 hours ago, Jilted John said:
I wouldn’t say the price of hospitality is particularly bad, I think it’s the experience that’s the issue.
I did it last season and I thought there was a lot the club could have done better. To begin with, the Raith Suite felt too sterile. Dim the lights a bit and get some music on. The menu was something along the lines of steak pie or chicken and gravy. How about modernising it a bit and offering a burger and chips, or pizza or something a bit less boring. 

The issue is you could goto exchequer or nover and get that menu for £25 tops.

Then perhaps the superior idea would be to use a variety of sources for the hospitality meals? If you could rotate through a selection of caterers/restaurants providing a menu, you might encourage those able to drop the ££’s to visit hospitality a couple, or more, times a year. You would also boost the exposure of participating entities.

Yes, you risk the particular provider not appealing to fans for a certain game, but surely you could put together a menu to give people a selection if they chose an entree when booking hospitality? As a bonus, adding places that might offer vegan, vegetarian, and non-traditional options might just expand the custom.

16 hours ago, Bandohope said:

Why would Goodwillie want a lump sum pay off unless he has an account of shore? If hes working elsewhere hes paying tax at a lower rate than max.Pay of would rob him of at approx 40% in one go.Even Mr Dean Park wouldn't pay out if he had any sense

Don’t think he’s working elsewhere. Maybe he just wants to move on with his life….. maybe play Jnr or amateur or abroad…. Who knows?

Perhaps a deal over two tax years would work? And perhaps a payment of less than the total of his full contract at £1,500 a week could be negotiated…. The rumour is the parties have not even sat in the same room with their legal representation to thrash this out. Seems strange not to attempt to get  a mutually acceptable solution.

16 hours ago, Jilted John said:

I’m not sure that’s accurate. I’m sure your tax code is calculated based on a years earnings.

If he was paid 1,000 a week for a year (52k) he would pay the same amount of tax as he would on a one off 52k lump sum payment. 

Yes, but he has a two year contract. 

So if he’s on £1k a week he gets £52k in a year and is liable for 40% tax on about £9k of that (for both years). 

if we pay him off in one go he’ll get £104k and be liable for 40% tax on £61k. 

So if we pay him off in one go his higher rate tax liability is about £24k, but if he gets paid monthly for two years it’s only £7k. 

He’d be daft to accept a pay off that will cost him £17k. 

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

Then perhaps the superior idea would be to use a variety of sources for the hospitality meals? If you could rotate through a selection of caterers/restaurants providing a menu, you might encourage those able to drop the ££’s to visit hospitality a couple, or more, times a year. You would also boost the exposure of participating entities.

Yes, you risk the particular provider not appealing to fans for a certain game, but surely you could put together a menu to give people a selection if they chose an entree when booking hospitality? As a bonus, adding places that might offer vegan, vegetarian, and non-traditional options might just expand the custom.

That's what we used to do at East End (not sure what we offer now tbf). Always local restaurants too so they enjoy a bit of good publicity. One week it would be Indian, the next Italian, the next a local "Traditional" place, I think they even had a fish and chip place.

Is there not a chance to use the Raith suite for a fans pub by handing it over to the 200 club and use the titan and current 200 club for hospitality? 

Offer 3 levels of hospitality

200 club pie and a pint style

Existing lounges the ordinary meal and wine

Titan a more executive offering? 

The whole purpose of a marketing team is to expand income. We could be better off having no hospitality and save the cost of the marketing folk.

I read back the thread and there is mention of the CEO being on the highest wage at the club. If true it's Simms money but it would be interesting to hear what added value the post has brought. 

I briefly had a job in sales and the first task was cover your own cost to maintain your job. 

Problem is we hear nothing and subsequently fill in the gaps with gossip, hearsay and I'm sure at time truths which are leaked on forums etc. 

Very little positive news around and what appears is worrying through to wildly concerning. 

3 hours ago, stevoraith said:

Yes, but he has a two year contract. 

So if he’s on £1k a week he gets £52k in a year and is liable for 40% tax on about £9k of that (for both years). 

if we pay him off in one go he’ll get £104k and be liable for 40% tax on £61k. 

So if we pay him off in one go his higher rate tax liability is about £24k, but if he gets paid monthly for two years it’s only £7k. 

He’d be daft to accept a pay off that will cost him £17k. 

It will cost him now, but he'll get it all back. 

Edit: or, at least, the vast majority of it. You start losing your personal allowance at £100k. 

Edited by Michael W

44 minutes ago, Always next quarter said:

Is there not a chance to use the Raith suite for a fans pub by handing it over to the 200 club and use the titan and current 200 club for hospitality? 

Offer 3 levels of hospitality

200 club pie and a pint style

Existing lounges the ordinary meal and wine

Titan a more executive offering? 

The whole purpose of a marketing team is to expand income. We could be better off having no hospitality and save the cost of the marketing folk.

I read back the thread and there is mention of the CEO being on the highest wage at the club. If true it's Simms money but it would be interesting to hear what added value the post has brought. 

I briefly had a job in sales and the first task was cover your own cost to maintain your job. 

Problem is we hear nothing and subsequently fill in the gaps with gossip, hearsay and I'm sure at time truths which are leaked on forums etc. 

Very little positive news around and what appears is worrying through to wildly concerning. 

The marketing and promotion side of the club is half hazard in my opinion. There's no obvious structure to it and things are either publicised and promoted at short notice or you have to get hold of the club and do some digging yourself. 

This is for things like sponsorship, hospitality and the online club shop. 

I'll give an example the online shop says that the home shirt and other items have sold out. If you go into the ground yes they have sold out of certain sizes but they have plenty stock of these items and in popular sizes. 

Now not the end of the world granted but its a revenue stream that isn't being exploited especially in this day and age where people either can't get there or just don't want to but would happily spring for it and pay postage too. 

21 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Is this another example of our CEO failing at her job or not putting too much effort into it because her hubby is no longer at the club

Nah, more likely just another example of the CEO stumbling blindly in the dark. Has anyone have any idea what RRFC are paying for a CEO per annum these days. I heard she's on more than we paid the team manager last season, shocking if true. I've also been told she is in now in charge of stadium advertising (which has been outsourced to an advertising firm) yet we still have about a dozen and a half empty boards trackside. Add in Hospitality and she's obviously well worth her wages what ever it is.

I know she was originally paid by SPP but was told that's no longer the case.

This years AGM could be fun.

2 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Nah, more likely just another example of the CEO stumbling blindly in the dark. Has anyone have any idea what RRFC are paying for a CEO per annum these days. I heard she's on more than we paid the team manager last season, shocking if true. I've also been told she is in now in charge of stadium advertising (which has been outsourced to an advertising firm) yet we still have about a dozen and a half empty boards trackside. Add in Hospitality and she's obviously well worth her wages what ever it is.

I know she was originally paid by SPP but was told that's no longer the case.

This years AGM could be fun.

😂

Dumping all the costs onto the football club as usual?