The New Raith Rovers Thread

The football club is an insolvent mess and SPP isn't. Make of that what you will. 
I have trouble reconciling things that have been said against the financial state of both companies. 

Aye that's what i think people should be worrying about. Sim isn't young and is increasingly annoyed with people who don't share his out of date views. He has said the pitch was paid for by him iirc and it was subsequently listed as a debt with the club rather than spp in sure. I hope he's just using some financial knowledge to pay less for it but unless the debt is gaurenteed, we will be fucked as a club regardless.

10 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

I heard from a very reliable source tonight that Arbroath have sold out their hospitality for the entire season already.

We started to advertise ours on the website about ten days before our opening league fixture against what is, love them or loathe them, the biggest draw in the division this season.

But does that really surprise you? A club that’s on the up and has a very healthy bank balance apparently, compared to our club which is far from on the up.

The club deserves all it gets when it comes to things like that after what happened in January. 

I’m happy to be back watching games so long as Goodwillie isint playing, however the board/owner still have a lot to answer for. It really isn’t good enough. They say they try to be transparent but it’s all complete smoke and mirrors. 

So where is the team, really?

Keeper: Secure, with two, three or four signed keepers…but they won’t tell us who…McNeil, Bow, both, neither?

Center Backs: A little wobbly for now. Lang is yet to return, so his condition and quality are unknown for a while. Nolan, is sign and looks OK, if in need of development and games. O’Riorden looks the business, but is only loaned through Jan…however, if he’s playing weekly still in Jan, they might elect to extend the loan to keep the development going…may depend on Nolan’s development and Lang’s speed of return. We’ve got Dick for cover (YW, grums), plus Masson quietly learning (and out of contract in 2023…I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t go on loan).

Left Back: Starting to look like IM might not like Dick (da-dum dum) at LB, but now has to choose between Ngwenya and Dick on a weekly basis. Young got sent out to develop, and it seems likely he is playing to secure a full-time contract with Raith, or his release. Does anyone know if there are any limits on teams contacting a Young Apprentice for a PCA that are different than a regular player, because, if there aren’t, IM might be taking a risk here.

Right Back: Millen is IM’s man, and feck if I know who is backing him up…probably Brown.

Defensive Mid: Brown signed for this role, and Spencer can play it equally well on his return, Stanton is never a DM, and should be banned from that role. I guess Agnew could be considered here too.

Mid: Stanton’s true role, as well as Matthews (and Spencer plays it well too).

Attacking Mid: Easton and Arnott cut out for this role, and Ross is trying to learn it in place of winger.

Wingers: Zanatta and Connolly are classical wingers, as is Ross, really. Coulson seems to intrigue IM in the role, and Mitchell can play her or at forward. Mahady is a real unknown at this level, and looks likely to be loaned.

Forward: Vaughan, Mitchell and Gullen can all fill this role, but none really fulfill the hulking, holding forward role the fans on here seem to crave…but does IM crave one?

Sorry, but I don’t see IM rushing to get a striker. If one comes around, he would likely snap him up, but I suspect he’s not dying to sign one unless he’s a proven quantity at this level.

You missed out Connell?

Is the debt that's being accrued doing all that not being put on to the club rather than spp?
I'm sure Sim stated the staduim upgrades and maintainance was SPP and that was a completely separate budget and any profits from it were redirected. SPP was his project to create a staduim capable of sustaining itself,has that changed?

I'm sure Sim stated the staduim upgrades and maintainance was SPP and that was a completely separate budget and any profits from it were redirected. SPP was his project to create a staduim capable of sustaining itself,has that changed?
You tell me?

36 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
3 hours ago, TxRover said:

So where is the team, really?

Keeper: Secure, with two, three or four signed keepers…but they won’t tell us who…McNeil, Bow, both, neither?

Center Backs: A little wobbly for now. Lang is yet to return, so his condition and quality are unknown for a while. Nolan, is sign and looks OK, if in need of development and games. O’Riorden looks the business, but is only loaned through Jan…however, if he’s playing weekly still in Jan, they might elect to extend the loan to keep the development going…may depend on Nolan’s development and Lang’s speed of return. We’ve got Dick for cover (YW, grums), plus Masson quietly learning (and out of contract in 2023…I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t go on loan).

Left Back: Starting to look like IM might not like Dick (da-dum dum) at LB, but now has to choose between Ngwenya and Dick on a weekly basis. Young got sent out to develop, and it seems likely he is playing to secure a full-time contract with Raith, or his release. Does anyone know if there are any limits on teams contacting a Young Apprentice for a PCA that are different than a regular player, because, if there aren’t, IM might be taking a risk here.

Right Back: Millen is IM’s man, and feck if I know who is backing him up…probably Brown.

Defensive Mid: Brown signed for this role, and Spencer can play it equally well on his return, Stanton is never a DM, and should be banned from that role. I guess Agnew could be considered here too.

Mid: Stanton’s true role, as well as Matthews (and Spencer plays it well too).

Attacking Mid: Easton and Arnott cut out for this role, and Ross is trying to learn it in place of winger.

Wingers: Zanatta and Connolly are classical wingers, as is Ross, really. Coulson seems to intrigue IM in the role, and Mitchell can play her or at forward. Mahady is a real unknown at this level, and looks likely to be loaned.

Forward: Vaughan, Mitchell and Gullen can all fill this role, but none really fulfill the hulking, holding forward role the fans on here seem to crave…but does IM crave one?

Sorry, but I don’t see IM rushing to get a striker. If one comes around, he would likely snap him up, but I suspect he’s not dying to sign one unless he’s a proven quantity at this level.

You missed out Connell?

Yep, I did. Honestly, we haven’t seen much, but he’s a smaller forward too.

8 hours ago, Wardy said:

But does that really surprise you? A club that’s on the up and has a very healthy bank balance apparently, compared to our club which is far from on the up.

The club deserves all it gets when it comes to things like that after what happened in January. 

I’m happy to be back watching games so long as Goodwillie isint playing, however the board/owner still have a lot to answer for. It really isn’t good enough. They say they try to be transparent but it’s all complete smoke and mirrors. 

It doesn't surprise me that Arbroath have found it easier to sell their hospitality packages given their achievements last season, but I'm willing to bet they were actively advertising and promoting their packages more than ten days before their first home league game.

I'm going to wager that Morton, Partick and Airdrie managed to sell hospitality at the weekend.

The club have a database of season ticket holders with DOBs and addresses. Why not email someone, say a month before their birthday, wishing them a happy birthday from Raith Rovers and offering them, say 10% off hospitality for a group of four or more, or birthday girl / boy goes half price if accompanied by three full paying customers.

I'm not saying there would be a massive uptake, but it would at least let people see the club have a slight interest in its fans and it frankly couldn't be any worse than announcing that the Raith suite is open to punters for a drink three days before the opening league game of the season.

3 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

It doesn't surprise me that Arbroath have found it easier to sell their hospitality packages given their achievements last season, but I'm willing to bet they were actively advertising and promoting their packages more than ten days before their first home league game.

I'm going to wager that Morton, Partick and Airdrie managed to sell hospitality at the weekend.

The club have a database of season ticket holders with DOBs and addresses. Why not email someone, say a month before their birthday, wishing them a happy birthday from Raith Rovers and offering them, say 10% off hospitality for a group of four or more, or birthday girl / boy goes half price if accompanied by three full paying customers.

I'm not saying there would be a massive uptake, but it would at least let people see the club have a slight interest in its fans and it frankly couldn't be any worse than announcing that the Raith suite is open to punters for a drink three days before the opening league game of the season.

That what I was alluding to last night really. The club/board can sometimes be ridiculously out of touch with the fans. I think the social media side has improved over the years mind you. 

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

Well you have lost that wager, because hospitality was at most 50% full at Cappielow on Saturday. 

17 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Folk surprised that hospitality wasn,t sold out,really?

Theres a cost of living crisis and many no longer have disposable income

Not to mention that it was only advertised 10 days ahead of the game. Its not really an off the cuff thing doing hospitality.

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

The club welcome fans into the Raith Suite for a drink when we’re slumming it in League 1 and then as soon as we’re back in the Championship and doing well they show us the door. It’s happened a few times and now I just avoid it.

Edited by Scary Bear

10 hours ago, Wardy said:

While there's definitely aspects I'm optimistic about behind the scenes, at a board room level there's definitely a lack of clarity.

If the Goodwillie situation highlighted one thing,  it's that one man's decision ultimately dictates the direction of the club. It might seem a bit over the top but literally nobody knows what John Sim's exit strategy is from Raith Rovers. For a man who seemingly comfortable giving hot takes at ease, nobody has been given an answer to that and I'm surprised it's not more of a big deal. 

13 hours ago, Wardy said:

The board should be looking to let us know what’s happening with the Goodwillie situation anyway. The fans have a right to know if he’s close to being punted or if some agreement has been reached where he continues to be paid but is on gardening leave or whatever. Just some actual facts rather than radio silence and waiting for us to forget about it….

Its actually a joke. 

13 hours ago, grumswall said:

Mcglynn wasn't technically let go though. Both him and smudger chose to move on for whatever reason.

Agree with wardy, the club need to address the massive sex pest in the room and keep fans updated considering the furore that it caused. There's no point at all in ignoring it and hoping everyone just forgets.

I don’t get the difference it makes if we pay-off Goodwillie so he’s no longer an employee of the club.

We can’t change the fact the club signed him or undo the stigma and bad feeling which are lingering on. We’ll still pay him what he’s due and that will be from the club’s finances. The majority of the people who made the decision are still at the club.

Obviously people have various different ideas of what’s right but it don’t seem very logical to me thinking it’s all good once he’s paid off.

29 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

While there's definitely aspects I'm optimistic about behind the scenes, at a board room level there's definitely a lack of clarity.

If the Goodwillie situation highlighted one thing,  it's that one man's decision ultimately dictates the direction of the club. It might seem a bit over the top but literally nobody knows what John Sim's exit strategy is from Raith Rovers. For a man who seemingly comfortable giving hot takes at ease, nobody has been given an answer to that and I'm surprised it's not more of a big deal. 

John Sim isn’t getting any younger and when he goes that will be the next crisis for Rovers. That’ll be a lot more concerning than the Goodwillie debacle. Fans and club both just kick the can along the road until it gets flattened by a passing car.

Its amazing how quickly Reclaim the Rovers is a distant memory. 17 years already.

15 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I don’t get the difference it makes if we pay-off Goodwillie so he’s no longer an employee of the club.

We can’t change the fact the club signed him or undo the stigma and bad feeling which are lingering on. We’ll still pay him what he’s due and that will be from the club’s finances. The majority of the people who made the decision are still at the club.

Obviously people have various different ideas of what’s right but it don’t seem very logical to me thinking it’s all good once he’s paid off.

Yes of course. Sorry if you thought that by merely paying him off that all would be forgiven. Far from it. That’s not what I was meaning at all. It would be a start at least. 

Well this has escalated quickly.

We've gone from having a thread bare squad to Murray must go, devious board room activities, pending financial peril, whistleblowing "board members" meeting fans for beers to dish the dirt and dragging up the whole Goodwillie debacle again... All because we've lost 2 games.

It's a fucking riot supporting the Rovers. 

Really though, I think there's a few of you here that just aren't cut out for supporting a small club, maybe best for your own mental health if you find something else to occupy your time with. 

1 hour ago, Wardy said:

Yes of course. Sorry if you thought that by merely paying him off that all would be forgiven. Far from it. That’s not what I was meaning at all. It would be a start at least. 

You're like a broken record. A boring one at that. Move on. The majority of people are trying to.