The New Raith Rovers Thread

42 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I feel the same. Last time McGlynn left for Hearts and we got Grant Murray. It was okay but we had the clocks go back thing in full effect and a load of uninspiring 7th place finishes papered over by some decent cup runs. 

Surely if you’re letting McGlynn go it’s because you think you can do better and push for promotion?

How do you know Mcglynn was let go?

24 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Mcglynn wasn't technically let go though. Both him and smudger chose to move on for whatever reason.

Agree with wardy, the club need to address the massive sex pest in the room and keep fans updated considering the furore that it caused. There's no point at all in ignoring it and hoping everyone just forgets.

Did we do much to keep him?

Looking forward to next weeks match! Greenock Morton usually provide a stern test and this will be a good barometer of where we're at. All the boys are excited about playing at Starks Park for you all again.

To all the fans, we love you. Thank you for your amazing support. 

Dario Z xxxxxx

53 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Much of that side are still here.  7 of those players were on the pitch at some point yesterday.  Murray has had to come in to an unbalanced squad low on confidence,  on a terrible run of form.  He obviously hasn't got everything right, but it's going to take more than 2 league games for any manager to sort that.  So a transition season isn't the worst thing in the world, its far more than "5th place last season, we must immediately do better"

It's becoming clear that there is a sizeable job needing done, and Murray has just come out of a job where he made incremental,  slow, but assured progress in a methodical manner.  Let's give him that chance, I can't think of any manager at our level who would come into this with instant results.

But please sign a striker, Ian.

A fair few of the squad is still here albeit that 4 are still in the treatment room and 5 or 6 are youths. Of those over the age of 21 and fit to play I reckon there are only 8 players still here and 2 of them are goalies. Of the squad that  finished the season 10 (inc loanees) have gone, that's includes 8 of the 14 outfield players who made the 1st team pool for the last gave V Killie.  Of the starting team that faced Killie only McDonald, Zanatta, Stanton and Connolly started yesterday.

Rebuilding is now a mammoth task but did it really need to be?  Last seasons defence was suspect but did it need complete root and branch surgery? Tumilty was always going to go and Bene had seen his day too (IMO) but did we need to bin so many of them?  I reckon we should have done more to keep Musonda and McKay. I heard McGlynn was going to bin Dave McKay anyway as he isn't thought to be physical enough (he's a colossus compared to Nolan) but I'd have kept him if we were losing 2 and eventually a 3rd other.  Defence needed a tweak not what it got. The attack definitely needed additions yet the 1st 2 signings in the door after Millen were in our strongest area which is midfield.

Cards on the table despite his failings I wanted to retain McGlynn as I didn't think there was (other than Jack Ross) any better alternatives, in a similar vein I hope we stick with Murray and he gets it right (the sooner the better) as I'm certain there aren't any better options now than there was in May. Murray has to get it right, there's no other alternative.

1 minute ago, Scottydog said:

A fair few of the squad is still here albeit that 4 are still in the treatment room and 5 or 6 are youths. Of those over the age of 21 and fit to play I reckon there are only 8 players still here and 2 of them are goalies. Of the squad that  finished the season 10 (inc loanees) have gone, that's includes 8 of the 14 outfield players who made the 1st team pool for the last gave V Killie.  Of the starting team that faced Killie only McDonald, Zanatta, Stanton and Connolly started yesterday.

Rebuilding is now a mammoth task but did it really need to be?  Last seasons defence was suspect but did it need complete root and branch surgery? Tumilty was always going to go and Bene had seen his day too (IMO) but did we need to bin so many of them?  I reckon we should have done more to keep Musonda and McKay. I heard McGlynn was going to bin Dave McKay anyway as he isn't thought to be physical enough (he's a colossus compared to Nolan) but I'd have kept him if we were losing 2 and eventually a 3rd other.  Defence needed a tweak not what it got. The attack definitely needed additions yet the 1st 2 signings in the door after Millen were in our strongest area which is midfield.

Cards on the table despite his failings I wanted to retain McGlynn as I didn't think there was (other than Jack Ross) any better alternatives, in a similar vein I hope we stick with Murray and he gets it right (the sooner the better) as I'm certain there aren't any better options now than there was in May. Murray has to get it right, there's no other alternative.

So where is the team, really?

Keeper: Secure, with two, three or four signed keepers…but they won’t tell us who…McNeil, Bow, both, neither?

Center Backs: A little wobbly for now. Lang is yet to return, so his condition and quality are unknown for a while. Nolan, is sign and looks OK, if in need of development and games. O’Riorden looks the business, but is only loaned through Jan…however, if he’s playing weekly still in Jan, they might elect to extend the loan to keep the development going…may depend on Nolan’s development and Lang’s speed of return. We’ve got Dick for cover (YW, grums), plus Masson quietly learning (and out of contract in 2023…I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t go on loan).

Left Back: Starting to look like IM might not like Dick (da-dum dum) at LB, but now has to choose between Ngwenya and Dick on a weekly basis. Young got sent out to develop, and it seems likely he is playing to secure a full-time contract with Raith, or his release. Does anyone know if there are any limits on teams contacting a Young Apprentice for a PCA that are different than a regular player, because, if there aren’t, IM might be taking a risk here.

Right Back: Millen is IM’s man, and feck if I know who is backing him up…probably Brown.

Defensive Mid: Brown signed for this role, and Spencer can play it equally well on his return, Stanton is never a DM, and should be banned from that role. I guess Agnew could be considered here too.

Mid: Stanton’s true role, as well as Matthews (and Spencer plays it well too).

Attacking Mid: Easton and Arnott cut out for this role, and Ross is trying to learn it in place of winger.

Wingers: Zanatta and Connolly are classical wingers, as is Ross, really. Coulson seems to intrigue IM in the role, and Mitchell can play her or at forward. Mahady is a real unknown at this level, and looks likely to be loaned.

Forward: Vaughan, Mitchell and Gullen can all fill this role, but none really fulfill the hulking, holding forward role the fans on here seem to crave…but does IM crave one?

Sorry, but I don’t see IM rushing to get a striker. If one comes around, he would likely snap him up, but I suspect he’s not dying to sign one unless he’s a proven quantity at this level.

13 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

How do you know Mcglynn was let go?

Given that the board debated on getting rid of JM before the cup final, it's a fair bet he was never getting a new contract.

No real effort was made to retain him, the general consensus was that his going to Falkirk was an ideal conclusion that suited both parties.

1 minute ago, Scottydog said:

Given that the board debated on getting rid of JM before the cup final, it's a fair bet he was never getting a new contract.

No real effort was made to retain him, the general consensus was that his going to Falkirk was an ideal conclusion that suited both parties.

Well unless you are a board member, I'll take that as hearsay, in lieu of providing any actual evidence or sources.

John McGlynn was exceptionally lucky to be offered any contract at all.  I can't see any other manager getting offered one after the 2nd half of last season.  I'm fact, he was really lucky not to have been binned before the end of the season.

After the way he wasted a shit tonne of money last season,  I'm not sure throwing much more at getting him to stay was the wisest choice.

18 minutes ago, Dario Zanatta said:

Looking forward to next weeks match! Greenock Morton usually provide a stern test and this will be a good barometer of where we're at. All the boys are excited about playing at Starks Park for you all again.

To all the fans, we love you. Thank you for your amazing support. 

Dario Z xxxxxx

Geez Dario, these posts are as predictable as you cutting inside on to your right foot is.

24 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Well unless you are a board member, I'll take that as hearsay, in lieu of providing any actual evidence or sources.

John McGlynn was exceptionally lucky to be offered any contract at all.  I can't see any other manager getting offered one after the 2nd half of last season.  I'm fact, he was really lucky not to have been binned before the end of the season.

After the way he wasted a shit tonne of money last season,  I'm not sure throwing much more at getting him to stay was the wisest choice.

Obviously I'm not, but back in June a current board member told me that was the case, the man in question was there then and is still there now so that gives you a 33% chance of correctly guessing who it was. I was also told that McGlynn was within an inch of getting sacked after losing at home in April but it was decided to give him until after the cup final. They are a soft and sentimental Buch at heart it would appear.

Edited to add, In general I'm neither ITK or getting preferential treatment. As described the board member reached out to me, here's the 2nd line from the PM he sent me.

"If you think a meeting to discuss your concerns would be helpful please let me know and we will schedule it in."

We met Thursday 9th June in the Strathearn Hotel, it lasted 4 hours and I had 4 pints and a nip of Bowmore, hope that helps. I knew at that time Spencer would sign and that Ross Millen was signing on the Monday I said nothing to anyone, Spencer was announced the next day. Many things were discussed including talk of DG's imminent departure (and his destination) and the 3 strikers Murray was after.... I can safely say that now as none of it came to fruition.

Edited by Scottydog

Obviously I'm not, but back in June a current board member told me that was the case, the man in question was there then and is still there now so that gives you a 33% chance of correctly guessing who it was. I was also told that McGlynn was within an inch of getting sacked after losing at home in April but it was decided to give him until after the cup final. They are a soft and sentimental Buch at heart it would appear.

Edited to add, In general I'm neither ITK or getting preferential treatment. As described the board member reached out to me, here's the 2nd line from the PM he sent me.
"If you think a meeting to discuss your concerns would be helpful please let me know and we will schedule it in."
  We met Thursday 9th June in the Strathearn Hotel, it lasted 4 hours and I had 4 pints and a nip of Bowmore, hope that helps. I knew at that time Spencer would sign and that Ross Millen was signing on the Monday I said nothing to anyone, Spencer was announced the next day. Many things were discussed including talk of DG's imminent departure (and his destination) and the 3 strikers Murray was after.... I can safely say that now as none of it came to fruition.
Who where the 3 Scotty?

You'll know mcglynn was offered a deal as well, just to answer sb.

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

Who where the 3 Scotty?

You'll know mcglynn was offered a deal as well, just to answer sb.

By the time JM was offered the deal it was far too late, he'd all but signed on the dotted line at TFS.

The 3 players were all loan deals, Jack Hamilton was allegedly one I think Hendry was supposedly another and I wasn't told the name of the 3rd (maybe it was Connell) or maybe I was excited by they thought of getting Hamilton and just missed it. What was stated though was that who ever we got wouldn't come until nearer the end of the window as most SPL teams were only just starting back and they were still assessing who would go where.

I had it in mind the 3 in question at the time were Scottish players who would come on loan later in the window if at all, I got the feeling from the Aberdeen interview that NR was referring to a potential signing. I could be wrong, I often am.

8 hours ago, Enigma said:

Can you really say we’ve started in relegation form after just two games? I feel like people’s arses are twitching a bit because we haven't done things the “McGlynn way” which everybody is comfortable and used to of starting like a steam train before falling to pieces come November/December. I’m hopeful that we grow into this season a bit as the team gel. Play like we did for most of the game yesterday next week and we should have our first win.

As for the “banter” aspect to our club, look in the club office and boardroom, not at the football side. Couldn’t even sell out our hospitality for our first home game….

At least your hopeful, we are in the banter era. I thought Murray was the answer. Jack Ross was the brains behind his early success at Dumbarton, he’s achieved f**k all since. He’s clearly still signing players good enough for league 1. That performance against a shite Dundee team was evident. He hasn’t got a clue. Signing kids for the weakest part of our team just doesn’t fill me with any kind of confidence. He has absolutely no contacts in the game. We used to be a club that gave the most promising of players a chance to shine. Not anymore. Cheers McGlynn, oh I’m glad your Failkirk got pumped. 

36 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Niall said on a podcast with Aberdeen fans it was a Norwegian player but we couldn't get a work permit. 

Give me Kent Bergersson any time. Loyal as f**k to us. Too auld noo. But he gave his all for us. 

was he Swedish??

Edited by baillieinleeds

The old intro I'm sure was the start of a schools TV program from the 80s we had to endure in class.
I'm fairly certain iv heard the old song while on hold to a company recently. Can't remember which one but I'm guessing the song isn't copyrighted.