The New Raith Rovers Thread

55 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

He's got next week to show he can turn it around, and the board should be having a quiet worse with him to clarify that defeat next week is unacceptable.

I am convinced he'll do worse for us than Gary Locke. He's that bad. 

Which standard jobber from the managerial failure merry-go-round would you likely recommend instead? 

Shocking that people are calling for Murrays head. Yes I'm critical of the slow transfer dealings but that comes down to budgets more than his inability. Of his signings Millen doesn't look great, O'Riordan looks like he will develop into a really good player, Nolan looks okay, Brown will be okay especially when he has Matthews and Spencer beside him, Easton for me is a match winner. Connell don't see the point we need better and Ngwenya jurys out as he was played out of position.

Murray does need to identify a striker if that's Griffiths as long as he is fit and hungry then he should score goals. The issue I have is lack of depth and what happens whilst we wait on 3 of the 4 injured players returning. We could be rooted at the bottom until we see Spencer and Matthews. 

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

He’s not ideal, but I think he’s not the worst…

Weird thought, move Dick to RB, start Ngwenya at LB, leave O’Riorden and Nolan at CB…you never know.

I don’t think dick can play rb Tx, never seen him even attempt to kick with his right foot, easier for a rb to cover at lb 

I can't believe some if the shit I'm reading on here tonight, aye lets just sack Murray and pay off his 2 year contract (with what), then try and replace him with who exactly, shall we ask McGlynn to come back again to sign more crap, feckin 2 defeats and we're already relegated in some eyes,

Give the Manager and players a chance to gel

47 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I don’t think dick can play rb Tx, never seen him even attempt to kick with his right foot, easier for a rb to cover at lb 

We’ve done this before, right footed LB with a left footed winger in front…just saying.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

He's got next week to show he can turn it around, and the board should be having a quiet worse with him to clarify that defeat next week is unacceptable.

You had us relegated last season too. You should find a hobby,  something which actually gives you enjoyment. Have you tried golf or whittling spoons? I'm not sure football is for you. 

Just now, Brashy's Boots said:

You had us relegated last season too. You should find a hobby,  something which actually gives you enjoyment. Have you tried golf or whittling spoons? I'm not sure football is for you. 

Or whittling spoons for golfers? Let him be, we all need an Eeyore around.

Some mental shouts going on about Murray. You got beat 0-1 by the team that just got relegated from the league above and on another day could have drawn or on a very good fortuned day, have won with the right luck. 

It's pretty notorious that this pre-season has been one of the worst in a very long time for trying to get players in. Every club thread on here is fans discussing how their manager can't get many decent quality players in and pretty much most managers in the division have been going on about it too.

Murray seems like a manager that gets a good thing going after a long period of frustration. He needs time to build you lads in his identity, not 2 fucking games. Deary me.

Mixed feelings for me.

Went to Cove and yesterday, much better showing this week.

Really like the lad from Crewe, thought he strolled it. Easton I don’t understand the hate for, clearly a standout when he came on in the second 45.

When you look at the starting 11 vs the finishing 11 of last season it’s a completely new team, it’s going to take some time to gel. 

I’m completely fine with it being a transition season as long as we stay in the division which I think we will do as it must be the worst championship since I can remember.

However, the back 4 as a unit is a big concern with age / experience and some ability concerns. 
It’s not easy to find but we NEED a striker, where’s the goals coming from otherwise?

Think about what the other teams have and we have Gullan. 

I’m not sure where the idea that Murray will take 3 seasons to get things right either. It seems to be suggested by Airdrie fans who say he ultimately failed in his target to get them up and it took until last season to have a proper go at the title. However, would anyone have predicted Airdrie to win the title at any point Murray was in charge? There have been teams with bigger budgets every season who would have been expected to finish above Airdrie and it would have been a big shock and huge achievement if he’d won the league at any point with them.

Since Airdrie were relegated to League One their record before and after Murray is as follows:

Before Murray

6th      
5th      
5th        
3rd       
7th

After Murray 

5th (Appointed after 9 games)    
3rd     
2nd    
2nd

So his 3 full seasons in charge were better we’re better than anything they had managed in the 5 seasons before he took charge. Gradual improvement every season obviously but he pretty much overperformed the pre season expectation every season. It’s not like he took over play off regulars tasked with going to the extra step to win the league, they were nowhere near promotion till he took over.

Airdrie have started this season well and good luck to them, would prefer to see them win the league over Falkirk or the Pars. But the new manager has inherited a much better and confident squad than Murray did and they are two games in, we will see if they sustain it over the course of the season. It certainly doesn’t take anything away from what Murray did there.

Wild for anyone to be calling for Murray’s head after 2 games, I can only assume those doing so are at the wind up. We haven’t won at home since December and won 1 out of 16 league games without Brad Spencer under McGlynn last season. We then lost our manager to a team who have been the laughing stock of Scottish football for the last few seasons which doesn’t say a lot for the faith he had in the project at the Rovers. It was naive for anyone to think that with the bulk of the squad remaining the same, we would hit the ground running from the start of the season. This is a squad of players than has been in the habit of not winning games. We were in relegation form the second half of last season.

Now it’s not just bad luck responsible for that, there are deficiencies in the squad which Murray has to address. And he has made some mistakes with recruitment IMO, we were never going to get better than Tumilty but Millen looks a poor signing and Nolan needs a run of games to be judged fully but I’m not convinced he’ll be better than anything we had last season, although I believe some of those departing were finance related rather than ability. I think Brown looks decent in midfield and his versatility and leadership means I don’t get the criticism for his signing. Despite being well stocked in midfield he is a different type of player to what we had in there and it was needed. Likewise I think Easton has plenty to offer, looked sharp off the bench yesterday and also our brightest player off the bench at Pittodrie so it’s not a question of ability at a higher level, just needs to develop consistency which will come with games and I still think he can be a big asset for us.

If we can get the right striker addition (big IF obviously) and some key players returning from injury we will be in a much better place soon. We’ve not been played off the park at any point this season, it’s small margins, with a settled back 4 gelling together, more cutting edge upfront we will hopefully get a much needed win soon and use the momentum to kick on. I think there are too many weaknesses in the squad for challenge for the top 4 but a 5th/6th place isn’t out the question and would be fine for what is a transitional season.

If we are showing Dunfermline under Peter Grant form in terms of performances and results at the end of the first quarter then of course Murray should be under serious pressure but we are a long way from that at the moment and I saw enough yesterday to take some encouragement going into the next couple of games.

Tl;dr - Murray has proven himself to be decent manager, he’s made some mistakes so far but needs to be given a fair crack of the whip and I think we’ll be okay.

10 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

He's got next week to show he can turn it around, and the board should be having a quiet word with him to clarify that defeat next week is unacceptable.

You were also convinced that the Rovers were about to be relegated immediately prior to their fifteen game run without loss last season, so you'll forgive us if we don't pay full heed to your mad Nostradamic ravings. 

It's worth pointing out, I didn't see or hear any of this kind of dafty overreaction at the game yesterday. While Stark's Park still has the capacity for a Den's-esque boo-a-thon in the right circumstances, there's a lot more forgiveness for defeats in the right spirit than there would have been, say, five years ago. 

There was one boy near me doing his dinger about Ross Millen but it was fairly reserved and, y'know, kinda justified, but the players and the manager were applauded at the end, which I think is fair recognition at the end of a game where there was no lack of effort or application from the guys who were out there. 

We've obviously still got issues to be addressed, but they're largely an absence of specific types of players. The players we do have are visibly putting everything into it, which hasn't always been the case in the past, and I think there's widespread patience in the support to reflect that.

Don't get me wrong, if we're still goalless in five games time then folk will be going tonto, but at this moment in time I'm not seeing a real world reflection of this Pie & Bovril headloss. 

27 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

It's worth pointing out, I didn't see or hear any of this kind of dafty overreaction at the game yesterday. While Stark's Park still has the capacity for a Den's-esque boo-a-thon in the right circumstances, there's a lot more forgiveness for defeats in the right spirit than there would have been, say, five years ago. 

I agree,think the crowd was good yesterday, stuck by the team and players deserved a round of applause at the end as it was a decent performance and a big improvement on the last game I went to at Dumbarton. I still think matej would do a job for us but hopefully we get a striker in soon and gullan won a lot in the air yesterday shame no one was there to benefit from it