The New Raith Rovers Thread

At least we get Brown back into his natural position. Not sure an 18yr old and a 23yr old is an improvement on an ex Scotland International and an experienced Championship player. Time will tell. Hopefully he is strong in the air being 6ft 4 and quick. 

4 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

At least we get Brown back into his natural position. Not sure an 18yr old and a 23yr old is an improvement on an ex Scotland International and an experienced Championship player. Time will tell. Hopefully he is strong in the air being 6ft 4 and quick. 

Seems highly rated by Crewe and to play him so young in league 1 he must have showed something 

9 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

We just have to support the lad , definitely not ideal but can forgive a mistake from him as he is raw

He more than has my support, I'm just worried about the lack of experience at the back. Nolan hasn't actually played many more senior games than him. 

He got some game time at a level that should be on par/roughly equivalent so must have something about him. He's just being given a lot of responsibility, that's all.

Edited by Michael W

10 minutes ago, Michael W said:

He more than has my support, I'm just worried about the lack of experience at the back. Nolan hasn't actually played many more senior games than him. 

He got some game time at a level that should be on par/roughly equivalent so must have something about him. He's just being given a lot of responsibility, that's all.

I’m not criticising you bud I totally agree, just trying to look positive at it as this close season has done my head in , he would be great with a Berra beside him

My take on the whole Murray signing affair (for the little it is worth).
We are all entitled to be worried.  Saturday there kind of justifies it.  However, I think IM has probably been a sucker for luck.

He wont have wanted to be starting the season with no defenders.  Who would?  However, I reckon he let Bene and Musonda go, as he didn't think they fitted with his plans.  He will have had perfect replacements in mind, but with one circumstance after another, he has not been able to get them to sign on the dotted line.

Other clubs offering more.  Sim restricting access to the biscuit tin.  I honestly thing Sim is the one that has been behind all of this.  Still in the huff about January.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong.  Whatever, I just hope we get it sorted asap and we end up with a team that wont be hairbrushed off the ball or powder puffed out of tackles.  Think we need to give this young lad a crack and move Brown into the midfield.  It was seriously bad to watch last week when we had no middies able to carry out a holding role.

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

Not sure where the spending criticism re Sim is coming from.  We paid 2 x transfer fees last season, virtually unheard of for the Rovers.

What has Sim been "behind"? 3 x Centre Half deals falling through for other/non money reasons? Berra deciding to retire?

If budget has been cut, when you consider a drop in prize money last season, multiple transfer fees and 2/3 year deals handed out, and the loss of 2 x Dunfermlime games, it's a bit simplistic to stick all the blame at the door of Sim.

Sometimes situations arise through multiple reasons that aren't anyone's fault.  There's not always a finger of blame there to point,  as tempting as that is.

Edited by CALDERON

11 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Did we once turn down Jack Ross?

If so. I'd thought we'd have heard more about it tonight.

Didn't interview as well as GFL apparently 🤔

16 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Not sure where the spending criticism re Sim is coming from.  We paid 2 x transfer fees last season, virtually unheard of for the Rovers.

What has Sim been "behind"? 3 x Centre Half deals falling through for other/non money reasons? Berra deciding to retire?

If budget has been cut, when you consider a drop in prize money last season, multiple transfer fees and 2/3 year deals handed out, and the loss of 2 x Dunfermlime games, it's a bit simplistic to stick all the blame at the door of Sim.

Sometimes situations arise through multiple reasons that aren't anyone's fault.  There's not always a finger of blame there to point,  as tempting as that is.

Not to mention also the cost of lecky for Club, businesses/football clubs don’t have a cap like households do. Morton released a figure, 325% I’m sure it was, that they’re costs had gone up by. That has to have had an impact to almost every Club outwith the Premier League teams. 

Constant talk about keeping benny ! Offering over 1K a week over 2 years really . A No from me Rovers done the right thing IMO, As for the new loan signings give them a chance at least Brown will slot into his natural position centre mid. I still think we are keeping money aside to pay off GoodWillie and like what someone else has stated the cost of Electricity etc has risen aswell so there is a huge financial pressure on clubs like the Rovers

An 18 year old from Crewe is hardly inspiring confidence that he's going to be exactly what we need, but at least he's an actual centre back so that is something. 

The good thing is all these loans are just until January so we aren't lumbered with them all season long if they turn out to be hopeless. 

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

An 18 year old from Crewe is hardly inspiring confidence that he's going to be exactly what we need, but at least he's an actual centre back so that is something. 

The good thing is all these loans are just until January so we aren't lumbered with them all season long if they turn out to be hopeless. 

or, they could both do really well, impress, and go back to their clubs leaving us to scramble about in January again for new defenders. We'll not be chucking Lang straight back in. 

17 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

or, they could both do really well, impress, and go back to their clubs leaving us to scramble about in January again for new defenders. We'll not be chucking Lang straight back in. 

If that happens, that should at least in theory be leaving us in a healthy position in the table. 

5 hours ago, CALDERON said:

4 players quoted out of a 30 year period, shows how rare it is to get in players like that.  

In fairness you could add Narey, McGeachie, Glennie and Grant Murray to the list.

I reaisted the temptation to include Dave Bowman.

Everyone has to start somewhere, 6ft 4, hopefully he is the heid it and kick it type that Murray said we are missing. I am sure the fans will give both our new centre backs a warm welcome tomorrow on their home debuts. Mon the Rovers!!

Would McGlynn have done any better in the signing stakes if he'd still been with us, he would've had to replace a RB for Tumilty, there's no guarantee Bene would've got more than a year deal, Musonda was only signing a year at a time and coupled with being the spare man, he may well have been away in any case, leaving McGlynn to scratch about for CB's just like Murray

At least give Murray a chance