The New Raith Rovers Thread

14 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

You could drive down the road and be killed instantly by another driver smashing into you, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't still wear your seatbelt and look before you pull out of junctions. 

The fact you think that this is any kind of relevant analogy... I genuinely have no words. I’ll leave it at that 

I don’t think anyone is arguing about how easy it is to tear an ACL, especially for such a player prone to them as Lewis Vaughan. But like anything there are ways to mitigate it and reduce the chances of it happening. That’s just a fact. Of course there’s things that can’t be avoided in a training programme but anything that can be avoided probably should be for a period of time. It might end that the player has to look towards only training PT. Whether that be at Raith or elsewhere.

Out of interest when McGlynn was manager did Vaughan always do his ACL in a match? Just wondering if there is more substance to Keatings claims about McGlynn not always following the best advice and it having an effect on Vaughans injury

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Give it up man.

You could run in a straight line and slow yourself down and it could go. Its as easy as that. You either play football or you don’t, there’s no in between 

Yes, it will either go or it won't, he can't play wrapped in cotton wool.  He played for nearly four seasons after his first injury without any trouble, then twice in the same year ('tho I don't know if it was the same knee).

Edited by Raith_Raver

I don’t think anyone is arguing about how easy it is to tear an ACL, especially for such a player prone to them as Lewis Vaughan. But like anything there are ways to mitigate it and reduce the chances of it happening. That’s just a fact. Of course there’s things that can’t be avoided in a training programme but anything that can be avoided probably should be for a period of time. It might end that the player has to look towards only training PT. Whether that be at Raith or elsewhere.

Out of interest when McGlynn was manager did Vaughan always do his ACL in a match? Just wondering if there is more substance to Keatings claims about McGlynn not always following the best advice and it having an effect on Vaughans injury
I can't remember how his first happened off the top of my head. He has to the best of my knowledge had two happen in game and a third was in training, which I think was under mcglynn.

It’ll be interesting if Ian Murray can get a good season out of Lewis Vaughan. 

I kind of get the impression that there’s now a line of thought that maybe, just maybe, John McGlynn’s approach may have impacted on our horrendous injury record that’s went on for years. 

It might just be coincidence, but three out of four of Vaughan’s ACL’s have come under McGlynn (I think,) but he managed to stay relatively injury free over a period of years under Gary Locke, Stephen Aitken and then Barry Smith. 

There’s every chance it might just be luck, or bad luck rather, that he’s had so many injuries under McGlynn, and maybe he’s now had so many that there’s nothing we can do to mitigate it again anyway  

However, maybe by approaching things differently we can slightly reduce the chances of him doing it again? 

Edited by McGuigan1978

1 hour ago, grumswall said:
1 hour ago, D said:

I can't remember how his first happened off the top of my head. He has to the best of my knowledge had two happen in game and a third was in training, which I think was under mcglynn.

It was in a home cup tie against Albion Rovers at the start of the McKinnon season.

I honestly can't recall whether there was any contact with an opposition player or not.

7 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

It was in a home cup tie against Albion Rovers at the start of the McKinnon season.

I honestly can't recall whether there was any contact with an opposition player or not.

Don't think there was.  Don't think there was any in the one against Brechin,  or the one in training.  

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

The Mcglynn question is starting to become interesting.  Vaughan did his 3rd ACL in late Jan 2019, and by Sep 2019 he was back starting games (and did it again).  That's not a huge gap.

It's come out that Matthews was playing last season when he probably shouldn't have been.  There are little snippets of info suggesting that maybe it wasn't all bad luck.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

The Mcglynn question is starting to become interesting.  Vaughan did his 3rd ACL in late Jan 2019, and by Sep 2019 he was back starting games (and did it again).  That's not a huge gap.

It's come out that Matthews was playing last season when he probably shouldn't have been.  There are little snippets of info suggesting that maybe it wasn't all bad luck.

For me the most damming incitement was when Lang did his ACL. He had pulled up about 5 minutes before he later collapsed in a heap and was quite clearly struggling for those 5 minutes. McGlynn left him on, and though I’m no doctor, I’m sure risked damaging Lang’s knee further. 

Edited by Enigma

You can tell when someone is lucky enough not to have experienced a significant ligament injury. I've torn my ACL and even after surgery the ligament can never be as strong as before. Obviously professional athletes will do an incredible amount of strength and conditioning to every other muscle to compensate, but the ligament itself will always have a weakness.

The common procedure is to remove a string from your hamstring in order to graft the torn parts of the ACL together. So that presents another issue. God knows what they have had to do to someone like Vaughan who has had multiple operations. Can't keep doing that.

There is also the factor of muscle wastage from inactivity, which results in lots of wee niggles that slow down the process. The idea that you can avoid doing your ACL again by doing less football-like training is a fantasy; you need to be doing all the in-match actions in order to get back that level of muscular strength for a professional playing comeback.

I really hope that Vaughan can get to a point where he can continue to play (at any level) without a reoccurrence, I thought he would pack it in after the last one. Great determination on his part. 

1 minute ago, Against The Machine said:

Will we get excited about the prospect of Connor Patrick O'Riordan instead? Who inexplicably isn't Irish. 

Will he willingly play on astro? 

Happy to move town?

Not needed to cover injuries at his parent club?

15 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Will we get excited about the prospect of Connor Patrick O'Riordan instead? Who inexplicably isn't Irish. 

Looks ok tbh bit  young but 11 games in league 1 isn’t exactly a veteran but at least has some first team football at a decent level and some big teams in that league last season, looks a unit as well  

2 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Can we not even get some experienced players. So another kid it seems. 

We sadly lack leadership and experience, this will be our downfall this season. An experienced head at the back is always good especially with a 19 yr old left back and potentially an 18 yr old and 23 yr old at centre half. We also need similar up front although I get the feeling we are going to sign Innes Cameron.