The New Raith Rovers Thread

22 minutes ago, renton said:

My feeling would  be - pessimistic as it sounds - that if we get Vaughan to a place where he's contributing to the team regularly by January then that would be a big achievement for all concerned.

There's no doubt that Vaughan will now always be viewed as susceptible to another ACL injury. Maybe the last two surgical procedures have been aimed at strengthening as well as repairing - there was some suggestion of that.

However, once he's fit enough for full training, with no adverse effects, he'll bedeemed ready for selection, albeit with short stints to start with. I can't see that once he's fully back in the first eleven he'll be holding anything back on the pitch, either he's cured or not. The outcome is a gamble, which I think everyone accepts.

26 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

There's no doubt that Vaughan will now always be viewed as susceptible to another ACL injury. Maybe the last two surgical procedures have been aimed at strengthening as well as repairing - there was some suggestion of that.

However, once he's fit enough for full training, with no adverse effects, he'll bedeemed ready for selection, albeit with short stints to start with. I can't see that once he's fully back in the first eleven he'll be holding anything back on the pitch, either he's cured or not. The outcome is a gamble, which I think everyone accepts.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't expect him to play cautiously, but suspect if the club wants to get the most out of him they should be cautious about selecting him in the short term (unless our start is so bad, there is a major flap and we end up chucking him in desperation)

And yeah, still no guarentee that he doesn't have a re-occurence.

Is David Goodwillie still on the payroll? Surely that's been put to bed by now, can't believe he'd still be receiving £1,500 a week for doing nothing.

Haven't seen anything anywhere to suggest he's been released.

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Is David Goodwillie still on the payroll? Surely that's been put to bed by now, can't believe he'd still be receiving £1,500 a week for doing nothing.

Haven't seen anything anywhere to suggest he's been released.

Your guess is as good as ours, club haven't announced/spoken about it since Sim's meltdown interview.

11 minutes ago, Langtounlaud said:

Screenshot_20220803-164318_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5cc6b4448763e7acfb890ea6dad9573b.jpg

On the plus side he is a centre back, 6 foot 4 and has played 11 games, in the second half of last season, in English League One which you would have to say is a much better standard than the Scottish Championship.

On the flip side, he is only 18 with limited career playing time so another gamble alongside Nolan and not the experienced addition I think we need in there.

Fingers crossed he turns out to be a gem, if it goes through. Despite the criticism Murray has taken over the inactivity in the transfer market, it’s clearly not for the lack of trying. Seems to be casting the net pretty far and wide to get what he needs, let’s hope he manages to get a couple over the line of the required standard. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't expect him to play cautiously, but suspect if the club wants to get the most out of him they should be cautious about selecting him in the short term (unless our start is so bad, there is a major flap and we end up chucking him in desperation)

And yeah, still no guarentee that he doesn't have a re-occurence.

I think once he's played himself in he'll go for it - it'll be an all or nothing thing. We have to be optimistic; despite the uncertainty I think he'll be fine in the end.

1 minute ago, R.R.FC said:

On the plus side he is a centre back, 6 foot 4 and has played 11 games, in the second half of last season, in English League One which you would have to say is a much better standard than the Scottish Championship.

On the flip side, he is only 18 with limited career playing time so another gamble alongside Nolan and not the experienced addition I think we need in there.

Fingers crossed he turns out to be a gem, if it goes through. Despite the criticism Murray has taken over the inactivity in the transfer market, it’s clearly not for the lack of trying. Seems to be casting the net pretty far and wide to get what he needs, let’s hope he manages to get a couple over the line of the required standard. 

If he does sign hopefully he does well, agree not the experience we need imo but looks a unit and played at a decent enough level, any striker we bring in will probably be the same , just got to keep our fingers crossed they have enough about them and good character , big gamble from Murray this squad.

3 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

You and facts don't seem to get on much. His first ACL was in 2015, the next in 2019 and the other nine months later, and the present one two years after that.

That's good enough for you to call "being thrown strait(sic) back in" ...

Me and fact dont seem to get on ffs are you ok  ?

9 months is around the time it would take to get the green light to get back playing from an ACL injury so that is the exact time am talking about when he was "Thrown strait back in" after playing against peterhead then away against forfar a few days later.

Im arguing a lad on his 4th serious ACL injury should be monitored, to do everything possible to give him the chance to make a come back.

the exact opposite of what you said.

" And I don't see how we can treat Vaughan with extreme care - either he's fully fit to play or not, another ACL happens or it doesnt."

27 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Really enjoying the fact there’s some debate about whether or not we should maybe be a bit cautious about how we use someone who’s in the process of coming back from a fourth ACL injury. 

I’d probably say yes. 

All I'm saying is we can't be cautious forever, once he's fully fit playing 90 minutes that's it.

Vaughan will have to be used sparingly. He plays at 100 mph amd twists and turns all over the place its just the player he is. 

That said there's no way we can be risking him.ayimg on some ploughed field in a cup game for example. The other issue is he may need longer to recover from games. 

22 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

All I'm saying is we can't be cautious forever, once he's fully fit playing 90 minutes that's it.

I think I would disagree with this. If he's played a full 90 minutes he shouldn't start the next game. Kid gloves treatment I'm afraid, and maybe Murray feels the same way.

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

Your guess is as good as ours, club haven't announced/spoken about it since Sim's meltdown interview.

Just spoke with a pal who knows the family….. still being paid 1.5k a week with no sign of resolution. That’s madness surely?

17 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Just spoke with a pal who knows the family….. still being paid 1.5k a week with no sign of resolution. That’s madness surely?

Unless we can find a club dumb enough to take him then there’s only two options, pay him his wage to do bugger all or pay him his full wage as a lump sum. He’s unlikely to settle for anything less than 100% as his career is completely finished in the game. I’m guessing we can’t afford option 2. 

Edited by San Starko Rover