The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

Isn’t the Adam Rooney rumour, purely based on forums such as this ?

From Twitter I’ve seen him linked with at least 4 other Scottish teams so far by their own fans.

Yeah, it probably is. It’s likely he’ll end up at one of those teams though…

47 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Is Rooney not an immobile lump? I can't see how signing him would fit in with Murray's imaginary pressing game. 

I really think we lack a guy like John Baird or Steven MacLean up front. The season we won the league those two demanded the ball and obviously knew where the back of the net was as well. They probably helped a guy like Bowie immeasurably with their attitude and experience. Rooney could be that guy. We’re a really young side, only the ‘keeper is over 30. I think this team, as is, could really do a couple of seasoned pros. We seem to be missing a bit of swagger at the moment.

Edited by Enigma

3 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I really think we lack a guy like Steven McLean or John Baird up front. The season we won the league those two demanded the ball and obviously knew where the back of the net was as well. They probably helped a guy like Bowie immeasurably with their attitude and experience. Rooney could be that guy. We’re a really young side, only the ‘keeper is over 30. I think this team, as is, could really do a couple of seasoned pros. We seem to be missing a bit of swagger at the moment.

I don't disagree. We are in desperate need of someone who can hold the ball up and be a link man. As you say, Steven MacLean of a few years ago would've been perfect. Just not sure such a signing would fit in with Murray's stated style of play. 

1 minute ago, Enigma said:

I really think we lack a guy like Steven McLean or John Baird up front. The season we won the league those two demanded the ball and obviously knew where the back of the net was as well. They probably helped a guy like Bowie immeasurably with their attitude and experience. Rooney could be that guy. We’re a really young side, only the ‘keeper is over 30. I think this team, as is, could really do a couple of seasoned pros. We seem to be missing a bit of swagger at the moment.

Yeah we've only one player over thirty but a good few in the late 20's region in Thomson, Brown, Stanton, Easton, Millen. The likes of Spencer, Matthews, Vaughan are all over 25 as well, Its not as if we're a team filled with kids (only 4 of the side starting at Cove were below 25). We could do with an older striker, but it has to be someone who is quick as well as decently strong, because we lack that up front. We don't have genuine pace up front to be able to capitalise on the counter and if we ever get a successful high pressing game. 

9 hours ago, Hadji said:

You have to treat a recoving ACL injury with extreme caution, you don't just come back from an injury like that at 100% its a very slow and gradual process.

So he has the op, goes through his rehab, gets signed off by the physio as being able to return to training. Then what? Whatever happens from there on in he could f**k his knee again a minute into training, 5 minutes into a game, tripping over his feet walking down the street...

10 hours ago, Hadji said:

You have to treat a recoving ACL injury with extreme caution, you don't just come back from an injury like that at 100% its a very slow and gradual process.

Did he play cautiously when he returned previously? - I don't think so.

If he has to play with "extreme caution" he isn't ready to play at all. Isn't the "slow and gradual process" what he's already been going through for the last couple of years? Or is he going to play at half speed with no sudden stops or turns until well into next year?

I'll repeat for the smart arses  - either he'll be  ready to play or he won't be, playing with extreme caution is no use on the pitch.

Edited by Raith_Raver

14 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Did he play cautiously when he returned previously? - I don't think so.

If he has to play with "extreme caution" he isn't ready to play at all. Isn't the "slow and gradual process" what he's already been going through for the last couple of years? Or is he going to play at half speed with no sudden stops or turns until well into next year?

I'll repeat for the smart arses  - either he'll be  ready to play or he won't be, playing with extreme caution is no use on the pitch.

I think the point the guys are trying to make is that previously, as with all ACL injuries, the player is returned to the team gradually, starting on the bench, getting 15-20 mins and basically not starting and playing 90 minutes straight away. Which would be foolish to attempt.

Just now, CountryBumpkin said:

I think the point the guys are trying to make is that previously, as with all ACL injuries, the player is returned to the team gradually, starting on the bench, getting 15-20 mins and basically not starting and playing 90 minutes straight away. Which would be foolish to attempt.

Well In that case  it's about when he plays, not how he plays which I was referring to, but they've got to try to be smart.

A gradual return happens when anyone is returning from being out for a while, whether its a physical injury like ACL or recovery from a medical condition.

"Extreme caution"  - f**k me.

15 hours ago, Chrisrush1471 said:

This is what I do, pick a seat at random and just sit where there's space, yet to be a game busy enough that I've been in someones seat

suppose you just need to be prepared to move if someone has bought individual tickets and wants to sit in the seat they've bought for. 

Wont happen much this season, but the Dunfermline game last season on the Friday night was a nightmare with bairns up the back sitting in our season ticket seasts - one told me he wasn't moving as it was first come first served, and he was in at 7! Its more an issue if you arrive later expecting (rightly) to get the seat you've paid for. Some folk feel they are entitled over all others sadly. 

4 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

suppose you just need to be prepared to move if someone has bought individual tickets and wants to sit in the seat they've bought for. 

Wont happen much this season, but the Dunfermline game last season on the Friday night was a nightmare with bairns up the back sitting in our season ticket seasts - one told me he wasn't moving as it was first come first served, and he was in at 7! Its more an issue if you arrive later expecting (rightly) to get the seat you've paid for. Some folk feel they are entitled over all others sadly. 

This happened to me once, (cup game) despite buying my own seat, my powers of persuasion must have been quite strong as the p***k shuffled along the row and he decided to be my best mate for the entire match.

The moral of the story, get the c***s telt.

43 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

This happened to me once, (cup game) despite buying my own seat, my powers of persuasion must have been quite strong as the p***k shuffled along the row and he decided to be my best mate for the entire match.

The moral of the story, get the c***s telt.

or just sit in the right seat in the first place i suppose! 

2 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

or just sit in the right seat in the first place i suppose! 

This

Cannot understand the mentality of people who buy a ticket for one seat, then proceed to sit somewhere else completely different, especially when you get to pick the seat the ticket is for in the first place.

Absolutely mind boggling 

1 hour ago, GhostZapper said:

It's never happened, but I'd have exactly no issue with moving.  And when it cam to the cup final and roughly no one was sat in their ticketed seat and wasn't looking for my seat and asking someone to move, literally just sat in the empty seat at the front.

9 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Why pick a random seat then sit somewhere else?
Why not just pick the seat you fancy sitting in in the first place?

Because it’s the Rovers and there are thousands of empty seats?

As it goes I have a seat roughly where I want to be in the Main Stand, but last season I was moved to the South Stand and started to appreciate that stands merits again.

Edited by Scary Bear

19 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

For the league cup games (Stirling specifically) me and my son bought our sesaon ticket seats as they were free. Just before kick off he fancied sitting up the back so up the back we trudged, mid way through the first half he saw some pals from school so went to sit with them, at the end of the game he dragged me down the front to sit during the penalties....

1 hour ago, stevoraith said:

Exactly.

It's not as if the choice of seat is really restricted. If you go to buy a ticket for the Dundee game now, I'd be surprised if there isn't at least a few seats available in every row of every section.

I recall a game at Bayview a few years ago, folk rocking up asking the stewards if they can sit where they wanted. 'aye no problem' was the reply.

Once the away end was 2/3 full, the perma-raging East Fife security official told everyone to sit on the ticketed seats, mayhem ensued and by kick off folk were sitting on the steps due to no seats being available, presumably the non-existing seats they sold covered their VAT for the day.

I either go to games with my pals and sit next to their season tickets are or I take my nephew and we sit where it isn't over populated so it isn't two loud for him.  I also like the option of moving so I don't have to listen to people using racial slurs, something that has happened more than once

I recall a game at Bayview a few years ago, folk rocking up asking the stewards if they can sit where they wanted. 'aye no problem' was the reply.
Once the away end was 2/3 full, the perma-raging East Fife security official told everyone to sit on the ticketed seats, mayhem ensued and by kick off folk were sitting on the steps due to no seats being available, presumably the non-existing seats they sold covered their VAT for the day.

Alas I remember it well ended up sitting next to some auld fart slavering on and on…..