The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Who do you suggest? 

I really struggle to see where these experienced players are.

If we are being unkind - and I am not feeling very kind right now - we let a perfectly good defender leave and join Ayr. Not offering him a deal was a choice.

Our options are CB currently are a guy that just signed, a kid, a midfielder masquerading as a CB and our left back. 

Just now, Michael W said:

If we are being unkind - and I am not feeling very kind right now - we let a perfectly good defender leave and join Ayr. Not offering him a deal was a choice.

Our options are CB currently are a guy that just signed, a kid, a midfielder masquerading as a CB and our left back. 

I believe we offered Musonda a deal, but Ayr offered him a better/longer deal. We perhaps should have done but I don't think anyone expected Berra to go when we kicked off the season. 

47 minutes ago, pub car king said:

This is the thing we are now playing league games getting players up to speed and uts going to cost us. 

Next week we have Dundee who are the only other team to get beat today. They will come at us to get back on track ams u don't think we are ready. 

Murray talked of being too nice and not seeing out games professionally well here we are, it's going to be a busy week.

If he signs what’s required on Monday/Tuesday and get us actually prepared instead of fannying about with it we might actually be ready for Dundee 

8 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I believe we offered Musonda a deal, but Ayr offered him a better/longer deal. We perhaps should have done but I don't think anyone expected Berra to go when we kicked off the season. 

Never mind Musonda we potentially allowed 4 CBs to leave the club with little attempt to hold onto any.

Our defence last season wasnt that bad, our problems mainly lay with scoring goals.

We now have a team who are totally in transition, not the best way to be at the start of a season.

Why could Berra not have left after today’s game , what was the desperation in leaving  4 days before the league start ? It’s worse he was part of the coaching team so was aware of when signings were going to be made and how short we were at the back 

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Having just got back to the pub after watching that game, few things jumped out at me. Nolan looks decent, strong and didn't really put a foot wrong for the majority. Connell looked busy and again, strong but was left with little to feed on. Millen and Dick barely crossed the half way line with any purpose first half and to be fair, Millen or Brown could have been hooked and no one would have noticed. Easton was a shocker. He's just not the man to play in a 2 man midfield, drop him or move him wide. 

Get Brown into midfield, Dick into centre half until we sign a better option.

We need Spencer and Matthews back because we look like a more dominant midfield with those to in it, I just hope Murray doesn’t persists with the 4132 to accommodate Easton not saying he’s bad but doesn’t work for him without the right midfielder next to him or wingers try something different 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

1 minute ago, RRFC_Liam said:

We need Spencer and Matthews back because we look like a more dominant midfield with those to in it, I just hope Murray persists with the 4132 to accommodate Easton not saying he’s bad but doesn’t work for him without the right midfielder next to him or wingers try something different 

Easton can play elsewhere though. A midfield two is not the place for him, he needs support and someone to cover for him. Get him wide left or in a midfield 3. He's not someone to track back and loses the ball a lot too. So dangerous if he's only got one player next to him. 

10 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Never mind Musonda we potentially allowed 4 CBs to leave the club with little attempt to hold onto any.

Our defence last season wasnt that bad, our problems mainly lay with scoring goals.

We now have a team who are totally in transition, not the best way to be at the start of a season.

The defence last season was nowhere near good enough.  We conceded as many goals as we scored.  Both elements were not good enough.  

11 minutes ago, DaveT said:

It really was, stats show in goals for we weren't massively behind the 4 teams above us, but in goals against we had almost double in some cases.

You're right though it needed a bit of a tweak, not a complete demolition.

Edited by Scottydog

48 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Why is anyone surprised at this, can’t defend, 3 new players in there and one of them isn’t a defender. I might be boring I might prattle on but this is down to Murray , if we are too nice then sort it , it’s going to be a long season and we will tread water at best. I don’t care how many sound bites he comes out with or buzz words. Get them drilled on the training pitch 

Treading water would be finishing 5th. I’d snap your hand off for that.

38 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

No feeling of surprise in this quarter.

We have been going backwards as a club since the turn of the year (perhaps even since last Autumn). The current board might comprise successful people in the business world but in the football world they are rank amateurs.........and it shows.

Absolutely no feeling of surprise in this quarter either. 🥺

10 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

We need Spencer and Matthews back because we look like a more dominant midfield with those to in it, I just hope Murray persists with the 4132 to accommodate Easton not saying he’s bad but doesn’t work for him without the right midfielder next to him or wingers try something different 

My fear is that IM will prove pigheaded and incompetent enough to force the issue.

8 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Easton can play elsewhere though. A midfield two is not the place for him, he needs support and someone to cover for him. Get him wide left or in a midfield 3. He's not someone to track back and loses the ball a lot too. So dangerous if he's only got one player next to him. 

On what I've seen of him so far I'd be delighted to see him ply his trade elsewhere.

That system of 4-1-3-2 is never going to work in the Championship with these players available. A defence trying to get to know each other protected by Stanton who is never a holding midfielder is a recipe for disaster. Sure the 5 in front of that are good at times going forward but out of possession (which is more than half the game!!) are brutal, weak and far to easily bullied. Injured players coming back will help enormously but surely a more robust system must be deployed until then. Even moving Brown into a holding two and putting Dick at centre back would be better than that today. 

1 minute ago, Been going too long said:

If Brad and rossco are fit he doesn’t get a sniff at the team, ethan Ross pushed wide as well to accommodate him

Yeah signing him was Murray just trying to make a statement signing regardless of whether we even needed him. Really poor by Murray.

What today did show is that neither Dick nor Brown are anywhere near good enough to play centre back until Lang comes back. We need another centre back in pronto. 

18 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

The defence last season was nowhere near good enough.  We conceded as many goals as we scored.  Both elements were not good enough.  

And it seems we have improved it by making wholesale changes with no suitable replacements.

Past two seasons we managed to finish top 5 in both cases.

We didn't need to be making the changes we did at least not until we had better in to replace them .

Every player has a time when it's time to go, this for me wasnt the time to have a mass exodus of players