The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Cheers Renton. That'll be that then. Makes sense to remove a valuable revenue stream from clubs, eh?

Apparently the clubs were agreeable to the continuation of live streaming, but Sky objected.

And guess who Neil Doncaster and his cohorts sided with?

The number of big teams who play at 3pm Saturday is not 'minimal'. You can guarantee that any one of Man United, Man City, Liverpool, as well as Arsenal/Chelsea will have a home game against dross every week. These are almost never televised and so take place on a Saturday at 3pm. 

A live stream that enables one away fan to buy and then invite four of their mates over to watch it with them with a slab of cans is not extra revenue for any club - it is a loss. And when fans stop going to games, the remainder won't be able to fund transport and then the game's a bogey for all away attendances.

Live streaming has no place at a live event. 

Edited by vikingTON

Just now, Specky Ginger said:

Apparently the clubs were agreeable to the continuation of live streaming, but Sky objected.

And guess who Neil Doncaster and his cohorts sided with?

The major sponsor that Raith and most other clubs would be bankrupt without their financial contribution? Scandal of the century!

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

The number of big teams who play at 3pm Saturday is not 'minimal'. You can guarantee that any one of Man United, Man City, Liverpool, as well as Arsenal/Chelsea will have a home game against dross every week. These are almost never televised and so take place on a Saturday at 3pm. 

A live stream that enables one away fan to buy and then invite four of their mates over to watch it with them with a slab of cans is not extra revenue for any club - it is a loss. And when fans stop going to games, the remainder won't be able to fund transport and then the game's a bogey for all away attendances.

Live streaming has no place at a live event. 

In your humble opinion.

I have no intention of driving to Aberdeen to watch the Rovers play Cove. Doubt I ever will, but I'd happily buy a streaming ticket. So instead of getting zero from me, which is how much they'll get tomorrow and the next time we play them there, they'd get a tenner a time, or whatever the charge. Which is the opposite of a loss.

Yes of course, if everyone had that attitude matchday ground attendances would be affected, but they don't. 

27 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Yes of course, if everyone had that attitude matchday ground attendances would be affected, but they don't. 

That claim is based on barely six months worth of evidence, immediately following a time when all fans were literally banned from watching games in person since March 2020. 

Hardly the most convincing claim that attendance patterns will not change if streaming was allowed in the future. But luckily it isn't and so clubs won't bankrupt themselves by dismantling their already rickety business model.

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

That claim is based on barely six months worth of evidence, immediately following a time when all fans were literally banned from watching games in person since March 2020. 

Hardly the most convincing claim that attendance patterns will not change if streaming was allowed in the future. But luckily it isn't and so clubs won't bankrupt themselves by dismantling their already rickety business model.

I didn't claim attendance patterns wouldn't change if streaming was allowed. I said if everyone had my attitude, they would. And then I said they don't. All have my attitude, that is.

Please pay attention.

Televised football has played a major role in killing attendences. 

If you green light televising/streaming lesser league stuff where does it stop? Also players thrive on atmosphere, most hated playing to empty stands. 

I've long said we should move to a summer season but if you can't persuade fans to attend in good weather perhaps we should just call it a day. 

Televised football has played a major role in killing attendences. 
If you green light televising/streaming lesser league stuff where does it stop? Also players thrive on atmosphere, most hated playing to empty stands. 
I've long said we should move to a summer season but if you can't persuade fans to attend in good weather perhaps we should just call it a day. 
It's nothing to do with persuading fans. It's all about two clubs and European football not willing to change.

Had a horrible dream that we got an absolute doing and the new players Murray brought in we’re absolute dug meat. I hate dreams like that😝😝. Anyway happy new day of the season folks

Edited by baillieinleeds

9 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Had a horrible dream that we got an absolute doing and the new players Murray brought in we’re absolute dug meat. I hate dreams like that😝😝. Anyway happy new day of the season folks

Angry Season 2 GIF by The Office

Had a great dream last night that we pumped Cove and all of Murray's new signings were swift recipients of multimillion pound offers from PSG, Barca and that, they were that good. 

Dario Zanatta played like Gordon Dalziel and didn't do one step-over!

Everybody clapped.  👏 

A happy season to us all, God bless us, everyone. 

5 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Had a great dream last night that we pumped Cove and all of Murray's new signings were swift recipients of multimillion pound offers from PSG, Barca and that, they were that good. 

Dario Zanatta played like Gordon Dalziel and didn't do one step-over!

Everybody clapped.  👏 

A happy season to us all, God bless us, everyone. 

uishi mfalme

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

66MY.gif.0842ac6cc155c3892fcdaa1f1f14cae2.gif

15 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Matej has just put the Welcome to Scotland sign on his story on FB, wonder where he is going🤔 I’m going to guess Ayr 

I’d guess either them or Morton. Imrie will know him from his days at Livi and they are in need of a striker.

There seems to be a real spread in opinion on how he is rated amongst Rovers fans. With some thinking he is the answer to all our problems and others (myself included) thinking he was fine but had as many bad games as good ones. I mentioned before, if you take out that 4 game purple patch, he scored 6 goals in 40 games and 2 of those goals were against a rank rotten East Fife side and Banks O’ Dee. Obviously he did have that 4 game purple patch which he deserves credit for but it’s not enough for me to say that was his true ability and would replicated throughout the season if we signed him again.

Given we now have Connell in with some physicality, I would have been happy to see Poplatnik join as a squad player. Not a guaranteed starter but I think Gullan, Poplatnik, Vaughan and Connell would have been a decent selection of options.

However, I’m not sure he would accept the wage/role of a squad player with us when he would likely be a guaranteed starter and be paid a bit more accordingly at the likes of Ayr/Morton. Good luck to him, for as much as I didn’t think he was brilliant, you couldn’t fault his effort and the performance in the cup final will be remembered for a long time, he was phenomenal.

21 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I’d guess either them or Morton. Imrie will know him from his days at Livi and they are in need of a striker.

There seems to be a real spread in opinion on how he is rated amongst Rovers fans. With some thinking he is the answer to all our problems and others (myself included) thinking he was fine but had as many bad games as good ones. I mentioned before, if you take out that 4 game purple patch, he scored 6 goals in 40 games and 2 of those goals were against a rank rotten East Fife side and Banks O’ Dee. Obviously he did have that 4 game purple patch which he deserves credit for but it’s not enough for me to say that was his true ability and would replicated throughout the season if we signed him again.

Given we now have Connell in with some physicality, I would have been happy to see Poplatnik join as a squad player. Not a guaranteed starter but I think Gullan, Poplatnik, Vaughan and Connell would have been a decent selection of options.

However, I’m not sure he would accept the wage/role of a squad player with us when he would likely be a guaranteed starter and be paid a bit more accordingly at the likes of Ayr/Morton. Good luck to him, for as much as I didn’t think he was brilliant, you couldn’t fault his effort and the performance in the cup final will be remembered for a long time, he was phenomenal.

I liked him, smart player and better than gullan in my opinion and think with starting more games he would have got us 15 goals, yeah forgot about imrie knowing him from livi. It’s done now soon find out how he gets on guaranteed to score against us thou!!