The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Cheers Renton. That'll be that then. Makes sense to remove a valuable revenue stream from clubs, eh?

Got to protect that 3pm Saturday tradition of no games allowed to be broadcast because...reasons. 

Totally agree with you, a valuable revenue stream gone because of nonsense tradition and old school rules 

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I have to laugh at the club trying to drum up support for the first home game when they can't even get season tickets out to folk who bought them weeks ago. 

I went down today and got mine. I was told a lot of season tickets went missing at the sorting office.

10 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I went down today and got mine. I was told a lot of season tickets went missing at the sorting office.

I had the same. I asked the club to post that online so that awareness is raised for any fans who haven't received theirs either. 

3 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I had the same. I asked the club to post that online so that awareness is raised for any fans who haven't received theirs either. 

Yeah if they are aware of that they should really be putting out a message. 

26 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Can't be arsed with the faff. 

It's pretty easy.  Plenty of good reasons around privacy for having one and the good ones are usually a couple of quid a month subscription.

Just make sure and pick the appropriate IP address during setup... you wouldn't want to accidentally set your location outside the UK....

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Got to protect that 3pm Saturday tradition of no games allowed to be broadcast because...reasons. 

Totally agree with you, a valuable revenue stream gone because of nonsense tradition and old school rules 

It's got nothing to do with tradition and everything to do with football clubs who rely on live match attendance from their punters keeping that live match audience. Which means going to the ground and paying your way rather than inviting four of your mates over for a cheap swally instead. That's how the live events industry worked in 2019 and how it's going to work again now.

And of course if the blackout was lifted (as you want for reasons of narrow self-interest for Raith games) then it would also have to be lifted for the English leagues. And so Man United/City/Liverpool games would be getting beamed into half the pubs and homes in the country every Saturday at 3pm. Which might have an impact on crap Scottish Championship clubs getting customers into their grounds, watching a stream at all, and on getting the next generation of fans engaged.

Edited by vikingTON

44 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's got nothing to do with tradition and everything to do with football clubs who rely on live match attendance from their punters keeping that live match audience. Which means going to the ground and paying your way rather than inviting four of your mates over for a cheap swally instead. That's how the live events industry worked in 2019 and how it's going to work again now.

And of course if the blackout was lifted (as you want for reasons of narrow self-interest for Raith games) then it would also have to be lifted for the English leagues. And so Man United/City/Liverpool games would be getting beamed into half the pubs and homes in the country every Saturday at 3pm. Which might have an impact on crap Scottish Championship clubs getting customers into their grounds, watching a stream at all, and on getting the next generation of fans engaged.

Nice edit.

52 minutes ago, virginton said:

So yes, while I do agree with the points you've made, things have changed since 2019 sadly. Whether it be peoples willingness to go outside after Covid or due to the cost of living crisis the majority of the nation are being subjected to, clubs at all levels need to be able to adjust their match day experience to ensure that they retain as much of their audience as possible. There will be a number of people who can't afford the cost of a matchday live, transport, ticket(s) etc that would likely be more than willing to buy the live stream instead if it were available to them. Of course you want as many people as possible to be there watching it live in the ground, but thats potentially not as feasible as it once was unfortunately and things may have to change.

Additionally, while yes the blackout would need to be lifted across the whole country, the number of the "big draw" teams playing at 3pm on a Saturday now is minimal due to existing TV requirements, that would be unlikely to change given these stations want maximum attention on their chosen game anyway. 3pm on a Saturday is no longer match day at the bigger leagues so the impact it might have is potentially less than it was before.

It would be interesting to see club engagement figures from last season compared to this season come May next year to see if it did impact overall figures.