The New Raith Rovers Thread

10 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I've tried to look into his record a bit online. He got put out on loan to Kidderminster in March. He started the first match after he signed but was taken off after about an hour. After that he struggled to even make the bench, only being listed once and even then he was an unused sub. 

From that, to Raith Rovers saviour.

4 Championship level centre backs with plenty appearances out. 1 in who is unproven at Championship level with no appearances. 

You can tell we are so desperate for signing news that any signings seem like excellent news. Hopefully this guy is good enough and can stay injury free.

It's great to see some signings but I have to question the quality of players offered to the club if the best we can get is a 4th choice left back, a centre half no one has heard of and a striker that was last season on loan at East Fife. Hopefully they work out but I get the distinct feeling we are in for a long season.

Was hoping the rumour of Rooney was true maybe in his 30s but scores goals. Was hoping we would still try and get Ashcroft been there and done it at this level and higher. 

7 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

It's great to see some signings but I have to question the quality of players offered to the club if the best we can get is a 4th choice left back, a centre half no one has heard of and a striker that was last season on loan at East Fife. Hopefully they work out but I get the distinct feeling we are in for a long season.

Was hoping the rumour of Rooney was true maybe in his 30s but scores goals. Was hoping we would still try and get Ashcroft been there and done it at this level and higher. 

The same Adam Rooney who scored 13 goals in the last two seasons for Solihull Moors? I'd have preferred us to make a bid for his strike partner Andrew Dallas, but he'd cost actual money.  I'm fine with the left back if he adds something that neither Dick or Young can offer right now, same at centre half. The last i'd seen of Ashcroft, you'd be better off dropping a traffic cone on the 18 yard line and putting a shirt on it, it would still hold a better line. 

5 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

The same Adam Rooney who scored 13 goals in the last two seasons for Solihull Moors? I'd have preferred us to make a bid for his strike partner Andrew Dallas, but he'd cost actual money.  I'm fine with the left back if he adds something that neither Dick or Young can offer right now, same at centre half. The last i'd seen of Ashcroft, you'd be better off dropping a traffic cone on the 18 yard line and putting a shirt on it, it would still hold a better line. 

The signing especially of Nolan does reek a bit of BRS, hopefully the guy has just had a run of bad luck and will in time get up to speed, think it will be a back line of millen, brown, dick  and ngwenya on Saturday and Nolan on the bench , connell if true looks ok tbh and is young with potential to improve but these signings of everyone is honest are plan B or C and definitely not first choices 

15 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

4th choice at Aberdeen, 19 years old and rated by his parent club with even an international cap.

A centre back that no one has heard of but at least had previously shown good promise at youth level.

A striker who was on loan at EF, who were struggling and got relegated but he still managed a 1 in 3 return.

You aren't wrong that we are signing relative unknowns. That isn't necessarily the same as saying we are signing terrible players. Let's face it, we've been let down a good number of times by better kent faces than that.

There has been very few high profile signings at our level this year. I suspect that might add a degree of unpredictability to various team performances.

3 minutes ago, renton said:

4th choice at Aberdeen, 19 years old and rated by his parent club with even an international cap.

A centre back that no one has heard of but at least had previously shown good promise at youth level.

A striker who was on loan at EF, who were struggling and got relegated but he still managed a 1 in 3 return.

You aren't wrong that we are signing relative unknowns. That isn't necessarily the same as saying we are signing terrible players. Let's face it, we've been let down a good number of times by better kent faces than that.

There has been very few high profile signings at our level this year. I suspect that might add a degree of unpredictability to various team performances.

Can only hope so and your right about previous signings keatings cough cough . On paper the players aren’t upgrades but hopefully tomorrow we show what we are about at cove, despite them driving me mad all week or so wish I was going but unfortunately working , can’t wait for Dundee at home thou 

4 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Can only hope so and your right about previous signings keatings cough cough . On paper the players aren’t upgrades but hopefully tomorrow we show what we are about at cove, despite them driving me mad all week or so wish I was going but unfortunately working , can’t wait for Dundee at home thou 

We do need another CH to play alongside Nolan preferably before the dundee game (I mean a proper CH) No of this square pegs round holes pish like Brown or Dick at CH 

4 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I suspect with the way Murray wants to play that someone like Nolan would appeal If he's more used to playing the ball out through the back than someone who has 15 years experience of defending an 18 yard line.

End of the day, I think it's more that Murray has a particular way he wants to play and has struggled to find the right guys to fill those slots than it is, simple blind panic. My opinion on this is subject to change based on how poor we are tomorrow, obviously 😄

But in theory at least, an aggressive high pressing, direct Rovers team should be something good to watch, distinct in its own way from McGlynn's expansive, open abd possession based side.

17 minutes ago, renton said:

I suspect with the way Murray wants to play that someone like Nolan would appeal If he's more used to playing the ball out through the back than someone who has 15 years experience of defending an 18 yard line.

End of the day, I think it's more that Murray has a particular way he wants to play and has struggled to find the right guys to fill those slots than it is, simple blind panic. My opinion on this is subject to change based on how poor we are tomorrow, obviously 😄

But in theory at least, an aggressive high pressing, direct Rovers team should be something good to watch, distinct in its own way from McGlynn's expansive, open abd possession based side.

Could be looking at a dodgy first half of the season followed by a stronger second half once his ideas/players bed in 

5 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Could be looking at a dodgy first half of the season followed by a stronger second half once his ideas/players bed in 

Clock go back in reverse?

I think it's quite funny how we had this "in McGlynn we trust" attitude towards his signings, when the reality was for every decent signing he made there were at least 2 howlers.

I welcome Murrays more cautious approach. Whether it results in a better Tade to BRS ratio, time will tell.

8 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I think it's quite funny how we had this "in McGlynn we trust" attitude towards his signings, when the reality was for every decent signing he made there were at least 2 howlers.

I welcome Murrays more cautious approach. Whether it results in a better Tade to BRS ratio, time will tell.

Especially Fernandy and BRS, they couldn’t play football. 

8 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Yep.  The manager knows more about these players than I do, so I'm happy to reserve judgement until I've seen them.

We've had weeks of "he better bring signings in soon".  He has, let's see how they get on.