The New Raith Rovers Thread

Don’t know about others thoughts ,but I just see a left back signing as totally pointless. 

albeit still a bit raw, I’d rather us play Greig Young to be brutally honest. He’s looked good in some of the games he’s featured in. 

Edited by RaithRyan

5 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

Don’t know about others thoughts ,but I just see a left back signing as totally pointless. 

albeit still a bit raw, I’d rather us play Greig Young to be brutally honest. He’s looked good in some of the games he’s featured in. 

IM maybe has plans to play the LB if signed and the way things are going its a big if as a striker.

Our priority is not a LB but at least 2 CHs and a striker. Yet again lunch time Thursday and nothing announced. His 48-72 hours is fast becoming 96 hours. Two days till our first league game and we look like starting a midfielder and LB in at CH, quality from IM and the club.

16 minutes ago, RaithRyan said:

albeit still a bit raw, I’d rather us play Greig Young to be brutally honest. He’s looked good in some of the games he’s featured.

As @renton posted earlier, Liam Dick will be our new CB. 

So where the hell are these signings then? 50 hours until our league campaign kicks off...

6 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

He keeps on dangling a carrot with recruitment and it’s been the same story for weeks, we have lost a major player for us this week and we need a cb in for Saturday even if he isn’t his first choice, very poor from Murray and not good enough 

"Hopefully one or two by the weekend" is his latest soundbite.

3 minutes ago, CammyDick said:

if RR fans are turning their noses up at players like Ashcroft to fill the void I expect they’re going to be very disappointed. getting ideas well above your station if you think you’re above him 

Is he a left back? No. Midfielder? No.

He'll be no use to Murray at centre back then.

If this Aberdeen 4th choice left back is signing then I will really have no words.

Prior to Spencers injury we already had a very good options in midfield to pick from, and attacking midfield options in Zanatta, Ross and Connolly yet Murray goes out and signs 2 midfielders!

Where as in attack we had virtually nothing doing other than Gullan and some kids... we still don't.

In defence we lost 3 central defenders and a right back, a new rightback came in but no centrebacks. To complicate matters further we then lose the only available dedicated and experienced centre back we have. What is Murray's apparent reaction to this calamity?  Sign another leftback! Fair fucks we only had 2 on the books anyway.🤔

My concern like some others is that we come away with nothing from Cove or at home to Dundee and straight away we are looking up at the rest of the division going onwards. If there's a manual at Starks Park on how to make a small provincial club reasonably successful then I suggest they read it from P 1 to the conclusion not backwards!

43 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

That's the FFP all over, isn't it? Got a fairly milquetoast interview out of someone and then when events render it totally meaningless, they just run it anyway, basically unaltered. 

Anyway, it looks like today has been the first proper flurry of Premiership loan signings, I've seen a few announced on Twitter across the lower leagues, but even if we do announce Ngwenya today you'd have to say that's an underwhelming bit of progress. Again, it would really clash with Murray's "the squad's too big" comments if he pads the one position outside of the midfield where we do actually have a natural replacement. 

As for the totally baseless rumour about Lee Ashcroft, I haven't seen him play in a while, but he's exactly the right profile for the kind of defender we need to bring in. There can't be many centre halfs out there who are (theoretically) within our range and have 200+ appearances at Championship level and above. 

12 minutes ago, CammyDick said:

if RR fans are turning their noses up at players like Ashcroft to fill the void I expect they’re going to be very disappointed. getting ideas well above your station if you think you’re above him 

We are not in a position to be paying transfer fees, which is the more pressing issue. 

12 minutes ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

Lee Ashcroft would header his gran. Very decent Championship CB.

My lasting memory of that townie Cvnt is Chris Duggan absolutely bodying him, untill he was evenitably sent off.

That being said I wouldn't say no to him. 

14 minutes ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

Lee Ashcroft would header his gran. Very decent Championship CB.

Was he not the one who dragged Duggan to the ground in the Scottish Cup tie starting the ball rolling in our 3-0 win?

Hasn’t Lee Ashcroft done quite well for Dundee? Regardless of the fact we aren’t paying a 5 figure sum for a soon to be 29 year old centre back, he would not leave Dundee to join us unless he has been told he is surplus to requirements, in which case, Dundee would not be turning down a 5 figure fee. Dundee fan at the wind up but I suppose it’s nice to have a rumour.

Looking on enviously at the Montrose Twitter and hoping we see a similar flurry of activity later today.