The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

Devils advocate here, but given the season is 36 games, why do all fans want a settled team and 3 points on game 1 ?

I'm not expecting a totally settled team, but we should set out the season as we mean to go on. We aren't good enough to write off the first few games, and if you start off by losing the first few, there's a risk you end up like Dunfermline, no momentum, no wins from 7 - 8 - 9- 10.... pressure builds, and you find yourself looking for a new manager come October! 

Edited by GhostZapper

13 minutes ago, GhostZapper said:

I'm not expecting a totally settled team, but we should set out the season as we mean to go on. We aren't good enough to write off the first few games, and if you start off by losing the first few, there's a risk you end up like Dunfermline, no momentum, no wins from 7 - 8 - 9- 10.... pressure builds, and you find yourself looking for a new manager come October! 

Yogi Returns: This time it’s personal.

Is it not maybe a bit of an overreaction? Yeah the Berra news is shite but Scott Brown looks comfortable there and you might need to find a stand in centre half for a game or 2 but overall, purely going off of highlights, you look like a good team to me. Some of the performances been good and that first half v Alloa was frightening. Still some extremely talented midfielders and Gullan seems decent too. Experienced good keeper. 

From the outside looking in it’s not ideal but I don’t think it’s going to be the disaster some seem to think

19 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Is it not maybe a bit of an overreaction? Yeah the Berra news is shite but Scott Brown looks comfortable there and you might need to find a stand in centre half for a game or 2 but overall, purely going off of highlights, you look like a good team to me. Some of the performances been good and that first half v Alloa was frightening. Still some extremely talented midfielders and Gullan seems decent too. Experienced good keeper. 

From the outside looking in it’s not ideal but I don’t think it’s going to be the disaster some seem to think

That’s ok for you to say. Your Club have retained most the squad from last season. Also a very settled talented team too, as for us. We are in transition, our whole defence quite literally has gone and No replacements forthcoming. Sim and his puppets show their collective contempt of the fans by tightening the purse strings to strengthen the squad, why we can’t get the required players is beyond me and a bit of a joke. Our style of play should suit up and coming young players. But Nah!! 

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah I would tend to agree with this. Don’t get me wrong, if we start the league season with no centre backs, it’s a pretty ridiculous situation and poor from all involved. However, it doesn’t mean the entire season will be a disaster. We won 1 out of our first 4 league games last season and then followed that up with a 13 games unbeaten run (let’s not mention what happened after that) so whilst a fast start would be preferred it doesn’t define the season.

Assuming we add at least 2 reasonable quality centre backs as well at least 1 (preferably 2) decent strikers, I don’t see us being relegation bound as some fear. We have a very good keeper and midfield for this league and we still have Matthews, Spencer, Vaughan and Lang to return at various points through the first half of the season who have all shown to be good to excellent players at this level.

Hopefully 2/3 signings before the weekend to ease everyone’s fears. The suddenness of Berra’s departure and rumours of cut budget have understandably made people uneasy but I’m not sure it’s as bad as made out. Berra was fantastic the first half of last season but the second half of the season he was either injured or poor and he hadn’t started the season well. Assuming he is replaced quickly, losing our highest earner who didn’t suit the manager’s style and wasn’t performing to the level expected would be no bad thing. His experience will be a loss to the squad though, something it definitely lacks.

The fact the only player we have any concrete links to is a left back too is quite concerning but you can flip it another way and think surely that has to be in addition to a couple of centre backs and strikers in which case it is a good addition to the squad and an attacking left back is something we have lacked and would suggest the budget is better than expected. Either that or Ian Murray is a complete maniac who thinks Liam Dick is the solution to our centre back problems but I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now!

That’s ok for you to say. Your Club have retained most the squad from last season. Also a very settled talented team too, as for us. We are in transition, our whole defence quite literally has gone and No replacements forthcoming. Sim and his puppets show their collective contempt of the fans by tightening the purse strings to strengthen the squad, why we can’t get the required players is beyond me and a bit of a joke. Our style of play should suit up and coming young players. But Nah!! 

Criticising an owner for tightening the budget after Morton’s statement yesterday is a weird flex.
‘No replacements forthcoming’ Murray has literally said he expects bodies in soon, and then Berra retired. Maybe, just maybe, the targets we had have now changed due to having more available budget. Have a day off kid.

1 minute ago, kev23 said:

Criticising an owner for tightening the budget after Morton’s statement yesterday is a weird flex.
‘No replacements forthcoming’ Murray has literally said he expects bodies in soon, and then Berra retired. Maybe, just maybe, the targets we had have now changed due to having more available budget. Have a day off kid.

That’s all conjecture and hear say. I haven’t read Morton’s statement. “Kid” condescending much😝😝

Arbroath signing a 19 year old centre back from Aberdeen this morning, would make it even more confusing to me if we signed this 19 year old left back from them - if they had a centre back also ready to go out on loan. Don’t know anything about either player but just joining the club of the increasingly worried about a lack of out and out central defenders 

Just now, ComeOnYouRaith said:

Arbroath signing a 19 year old centre back from Aberdeen this morning, would make it even more confusing to me if we signed this 19 year old left back from them - if they had a centre back also ready to go out on loan. Don’t know anything about either player but just joining the club of the increasingly worried about a lack of out and out central defenders 

The guy Arbroath signed is a left back also although he may be able to cover at centre back. He played against us at left back on Sunday.

8 minutes ago, ComeOnYouRaith said:

He's also a left back, he played against us on Sunday. Looked a good player too. 

12 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

The guy Arbroath signed is a left back also although he may be able to cover at centre back. He played against us at left back on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, Hadji said:

He's also a left back, he played against us on Sunday. Looked a good player too. 

Aberdeen website article describes him as a ‘left-footed centre back’. May be that he can also fill in at left back.

28 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The fact that the left back we are after is clearly behind the one Arbroath have just signed in the pecking order at Aberdeen isn't exactly inspiring.

If Aberdeen think he's one with a future, then maybe they want to keep him close by having him train with the Aberdeen first team for some portion of the week. 

Whereas our mooted one can waste away in the lower leagues at his leisure.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

If Aberdeen think he's one with a future, then maybe they want to keep him close by having him train with the Aberdeen first team for some portion of the week. 

Whereas our mooted one can waste away in the lower leagues at his leisure.

Pretty much this, Arbroath and Cove are in the right catchment for Aberdeen’s up and coming youth. So stands to reason. Those respective teams are forward thinking progressive teams too.