The New Raith Rovers Thread

57 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

There is merit in playing a defensive midfielder in defence if you want someone who is comfortable on the ball to bring it out from the back. Didn't see a lot of Airdrie to know if that's what the plan was but I'd assume so. 

Agreed, and it did work in that instance. But playing an attacking mid at LB didn't work so well, and cost us points. 

8 minutes ago, Sweaty Morph said:

As far as shoehorning players into the wrong position, IM will do well to beat Kevin Cuthbert playing Kevin Nisbet as some sort of RB/RWB up in Dingwall. That was some laugh.

And in Brechin...

So, after the Dumbarton game my mate asked me how fucked I thought we were. I replied that, if we brought in a CB and a striker we should at least be able to get through the Cove game with a fighting chance.

Since then, our only fit CB has fucking retired.

So how fucked are we? Depends on what the next 48 hours brings in terms of signings.

0 -1 signings: Obviously if we bring in no one we are in deep shit as far as putting out a competitive defence. Likewise if our one signing is the rumoured left back we will still be worse off than currently in the CB area. If we only make one signing and it's a CB then we are no better off than we were (At least in number terms) than before the Aberdeen game, which was still pretty weak.

2-3 signings: if its the Aberdeen LB and one CB then again, I don't see us as being any better off than we were prior to Aberdeen, bar the fact its likely Dick instead of Brown that gets shoehorned into the middle. If both signings were CBs then we would start to finally look slightly stronger in terms of squad depth in defence (assuming they aren't shite) - same goes for a scenario where we sign three guys and it's two CBs and that rumoured LB. Yet we'd still need another recognised striker to get Murrays game plan working as he'd like.

Best scenario would be two CBs and a striker. Likey scenario for me would be it ends up being one CB or one CB and that LB....

18 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Devils advocate here, but given the season is 36 games, why do all fans want a settled team and 3 points on game 1 ?

Because it sets a precedent, confidence is key. That’s just me though. I think we’ll shitfest this season if I’m honest. My own personal fears are being realised. I blame the board for this. The signing made in January was all on them. 

9 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Because it sets a precedent, confidence is key. That’s just me though. I think we’ll shitfest this season if I’m honest. My own personal fears are being realised. I blame the board for this. The signing made in January was all on them. 

Them, and McGlynn and Smith.

33 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Devils advocate here, but given the season is 36 games, why do all fans want a settled team and 3 points on game 1 ?

Hiya Devil’s Advocate, Hiya pal!

Have you been watching football long? The pre-season period is generally where a manager signs new players and puts a team together, ready for the start of the new season.

This pre-season could be taught as a way not to do it. 10 weeks to put a team together, and we’ve not managed to sign any centre backs or forwards, so the only ones we have left are teenagers. Whoever comes in now will need to get up to speed during league games and stay injury free, as we don’t have replacements.

It’s a horribly unbalanced squad which will likely lead to a horribly unbalanced season.

12 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Yea, I was about to edit that. The Emperor has tightened the purse strings out of spite. 

I think so, but in some ways I think Murray has a more “normal” budget than the one that McGlynn largely spunked away on the likes of Keatings and Goodwillies.

46 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Let me give you an example of why… last season we were drawn against Celtic away in both main cup competitions and won the other cup. Probably as lucrative a cup season as we could have hoped for. This season, we were knocked out of the group stages of a group we should have progressed from easily. That’s going to be a loss in revenue versus last season. 

Had we had our squad built in time for the cup games started then there’s every chance we would have progressed and made more money out of the cup…. Same goes for the league. If we mess around in the first few games with a depleted squad, it’ll cost us.

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

To make a good start and hopefully actually make the playoffs this year, if we don’t and struggle no guarantees we will catch up and maybe run into our usual injury problems. We don’t need any more challenges by assembling half a team, playing devils advocate why wouldn’t you want a settled team and 3 points on game 1 ? What’s the advantage of starting half arsed? 

Edited by Been going too long

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

Because we need as many points as possible before the clocks go back!

I don't think anyone expects the team that starts the first league game to be the finished article - we all know that there can often be a loan or two to come in during August - but I don't think it's unreasonable for us to expect us to have at least one centre back who isn't doing his modern apprenticeship signed up.

30 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I think so, but in some ways I think Murray has a more “normal” budget than the one that McGlynn largely spunked away on the likes of Keatings and Goodwillies.

McGlynn does love injured players that’s for sure. Sim and his puppets need to trust Ian Murray and give him a little more. Now that Berra is gone we are super fucked.