The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Against The Machine said:

It's also good for him that he's continuing to rinse tens of thousands of pounds out of a host of clubs across Europe despite being absolutely chronic.

Oh aye, he'll go do that for a season, end up hanging around at one of the Saints in the Premier again for a year or two before inexonerably falling back down the Scottish leagues but in the mean time, at least he's seeing some interesting places.

1 minute ago, renton said:

Oh aye, he'll go do that for a season, end up hanging around at one of the Saints in the Premier again for a year or two before inexonerably falling back down the Scottish leagues but in the mean time, at least he's seeing some interesting places.

Absolutely.  There are definitely worse places to spend a season or 2 than Warsaw.  Cracking city.

The guy must train really well as I can't remember any standout performances from him to justify the moves he keeps getting.  That goes all the way back to him breaking into our first team.  He looked a decent prospect but I was very surprised at the Rangers move happening when it did.  

He got half of his first team minutes with us Dave McKay'ing it out at right back because Jason Thomson was injured. I've no idea what he did that justified his move to Rangers, let alone all his subsequent moves. 

Despite Drysdale not standing in his way and letting him go for a bag of bibs and a shot of Mark Warburton's BMX, we're probably racking up a sizable income based on the solidarity/passport payments for each of these mad transfers he keeps getting. 

3 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

Despite Drysdale not standing in his way and letting him go for a bag of bibs and a shot of Mark Warburton's BMX, we're probably racking up a sizable income based on the solidarity/passport payments for each of these mad transfers he keeps getting. 

A fact we'd never have known had Gary Locke not inadvertently spilled the beans. 

Coincidentally, he was sacked very soon afterwards. 

38 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

David Bates is apparently signing for Legia Warsaw for £500,000, so we can probably put that daft rumour to bed. 

While Rovers may not be his next move, how the f**k does he get a £500k move to Legia Warsaw based on his recent performances? That sounds an even dafter rumour.

Last time I saw him play well was a New Year game with Celtic back when he was at Sevco.

Edited by Scary Bear

9 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

He got half of his first team minutes with us Dave McKay'ing it out at right back because Jason Thomson was injured. I've no idea what he did that justified his move to Rangers, let alone all his subsequent moves. 

It's a slow day at work, so I just had a wee look at this. Usual caveat that this is based on five minutes Googling and some fag-packet arithmetic, not any Skyline Drifter style working knowledge. 

Every time a player is transferred between countries for a fee, 5% of the fee is held back and allocated to the clubs who helped develop the player (regardless of the player's current age). 

So if we take the reported €500,000 as gospel, €25,000 would be held back. It's then divided proportionately between any clubs that the player spent time at between their 12th and 23rd birthdays. 

I don't know how loan periods affect it, but Bates didn't leave us permanently for Rangers until shortly after his 20th birthday. I've no idea if he was at a boys club before joining the Rovers youth set up and when that might've changed, but if we assume for argument's sake that he was with the club from the age of 12, we'd be looking at something like €16,000 or £13,500. Even if he didn't join until he was 16 it'd still be about €9,000. 

Not the worst news in a week where we could do with some cheering up! 

2 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Ian, how long does it take for the sun's light to reach Earth?

Ian, what name is given for the number of protons found in the nucleus of an atom?

Ian, what is the hardest natural substance on Earth?

Christ, post that rather than a Dad’s Army quiz, mate! 8+ minutes, Atomic Number and Diamond(?)…got 1/10 on Dad’s Army, been too long and they don’t do reruns here!

20 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

It's a slow day at work, so I just had a wee look at this. Usual caveat that this is based on five minutes Googling and some fag-packet arithmetic, not any Skyline Drifter style working knowledge. 

Every time a player is transferred between countries for a fee, 5% of the fee is held back and allocated to the clubs who helped develop the player (regardless of the player's current age). 

So if we take the reported €500,000 as gospel, €25,000 would be held back. It's then divided proportionately between any clubs that the player spent time at between their 12th and 23rd birthdays. 

I don't know how loan periods affect it, but Bates didn't leave us permanently for Rangers until shortly after his 20th birthday. I've no idea if he was at a boys club before joining the Rovers youth set up and when that might've changed, but if we assume for argument's sake that he was with the club from the age of 12, we'd be looking at something like €16,000 or £13,500. Even if he didn't join until he was 16 it'd still be about €9,000. 

Not the worst news in a week where we could do with some cheering up! 

Didn’t he come from Falkirk to us, if so they would get a fee too

14 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Didn’t he come from Falkirk to us, if so they would get a fee too

We signed Bates and Ross Matthews at the same time from whatever youth academy we had/were using at the time. I'm pretty sure Falkirk have not been involved in his development - https://www.raithrovers.net/9118/four-academy-graduates-take-step-up.htm

I'm not going to lie. Murray's policy of over populating other areas of the squad to allow him to play folk out of position at centre back, as opposed to not only signing an actual centre back but retaining even one of the ones we did have, is starting to wear a little thin.

11 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I fucking detest players being played out of position, I really hope this isn't a long term feature of Murray's plans. 

He spoke about how good players can play anywhere after one of our games last season so yeah, enjoy! Based on the last few seasons, the first couple especially when it wasn’t his fully team, he tends to prioritise players he trusts and fits things around that. He’d rather play someone who he knows will do a job and follow instructions out of position than play someone he’s unsure about.