The New Raith Rovers Thread

Taking the announcement at face value, it's some decision from Berra to walk away from his role - and presumably decent wage (by RR standards, at least) - to allow the club to finance new signings. The easy decision would have been to see out his contract and essentially steal a wage for a season, so kudos to him if that's why he's done it.

This being Raith Rovers, naturally there is some skepticism and a feeling all is not well behind the scenes, especially if there are no signings coming in off the back of this and we line up with Dick and Brown at CH on Saturday.

The next couple of days will be interesting in that respect.

10 hours ago, Been going too long said:

Also heard efe Ambrose ( please no) Kyle McClelland from hibs . You would think there must be signing news tomorrow 

If we’re experimenting with available centre backs, I want to see an Efe Ambrose / Fernandy Mendy dream team.

It’s so wrong, it just might be right.*

*odds of this happening are not good, but either way, it’s all about making memories for the most important people - the fans

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

If we’re experimenting with available centre backs, I want to see an Efe Ambrose / Fernandy Mendy dream team.

It’s so wrong, it just might be right.*

*odds of this happening are not good, but either way, it’s all about making memories for the most important people - the fans

We certainly wouldn’t forget that pairing 😂😂

The Ian Murray effect in full flow I see. 😂😂

At Airdrie no one could hold a grudge like Ian, just pray he doesn't fall out with your best players or you could well see more retirements or his classic move at Airdrie, "contract terminated by mutual consent" 

Still, I'm sure he will get your squad nice and fit.

Also, don't be surprised to see Scott Brown at CB for the rest of the season, Murray likes shoehorning defensive midfielders into that role. I'm sure Scott Agnew will dig out his boots and fill that gap in midfield. 

Enjoy Murrayball guys. ♦️♦️

Edited by Shooter McGavin

I’m not convinced that it’s necessarily more than meets the eye as some are saying. I’m sure throughout his career Berra will have worked with many he doesn’t like so can’t see him fully retiring on account of that. 

Also if it was to ease our wage then they’d surely have come to a mutual consent type thing, and he could have then went to Falkirk. 

IF however it was to free up wages to bring others in then I’m concerned that the club are on their arses as we need his wages to cover about 4 people. 

i certainly wouldn’t want to speculate, and whilst I’m disappointed to lose an experienced player, my overriding thought is that I hope Berra is ok and the decision is purely physical and not thinking his body can cope with the demands. 

5 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

At Airdrie no one could hold a grudge like Ian, just pray he doesn't fall out with your best players or you could well see more retirements or his classic move at Airdrie, "contract terminated by mutual consent" 

Oh yeah, now you tell us. :lol:

Did alright for Airdrie though....

I'm trying desperately to keep my knickers dry but it's getting more and more difficult. 😂

Taking it at face value then it seems sensible if Berra not going to be able to play Murray's style that his wage is used elsewhere. Between him, Bene, Musonda and to a lesser extent McKay there must be a fair bit of budget that could be spent on a very decent young loanee or 2 from premier league clubs or a Scandinavian import.

However, If there are no CB's signed this week and we get pumped on Saturday then I fear there will be huge pressure on Murray and the club. 

26 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Still, I'm sure he will get your squad nice and fit.

Also, don't be surprised to see Scott Brown at CB for the rest of the season, Murray likes shoehorning defensive midfielders into that role. I'm sure Scott Agnew will dig out his boots and fill that gap in midfield. 

Enjoy Murrayball guys. ♦️♦️

The very last thing we have is a gap in midfield.

20 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I have heard we have 2 x loan players and another signed, no names given by the guy( who is an acquaintance) might be 💩 but if we do then expecting an announcement soon , usually reliable enough 

If true- we better announce them today at least 

Christophe Berra is a human being with bills to pay and a young family. 

There is zero chance he has decided to give up his wage so we can bring in other players while he signs on at the dole office. 

He’ll have something else lined up, the story Rovers shared on Facebook from Berra’s wife about being ‘excited to start the next chapter’ or words to that effect definitely suggests he’s got a new job lined up

I won't be awfully shocked if he ends up on the Falkirk coaching team.

Ideally this announcement would be timed better, after some incoming signings - this vacuum of information doesn't really do anyone any good.

7 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Christophe Berra is a human being with bills to pay and a young family. 

There is zero chance he has decided to give up his wage so we can bring in other players while he signs on at the dole office. 

He’ll have something else lined up, the story Rovers shared on Facebook from Berra’s wife about being ‘excited to start the next chapter’ or words to that effect definitely suggests he’s got a new job lined up

Maybe Hearts as a coach? 

40 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

I have heard we have 2 x loan players and another signed, no names given by the guy( who is an acquaintance) might be 💩 but if we do then expecting an announcement soon , usually reliable enough 

The young defender from hibs who was rumoured, wasn’t playing for hibs reserves last night so maybe there were some truth to it and 1 of those loans could be him