The New Raith Rovers Thread

Well I for one am looking forward to our 2-7-1  formation on Saturday.  

I can kinda get the idea that maybe he's gone to free up wages for Murray to bring some guys in but it's such a weird time to release the news that he's retired that it doesn't feel like that can be the case.

I'm sure it'll be fine, surely we'll just announce we've signed 3 new CBs and a striker first thing tomorrow morning now....right?

Oh dear this season appears to be f....d before we start.  Nothing in this team inspires me to think anything other than back to League 1 and that's before we even begin the season proper. No proven goal scorer, defence a bomb scare please prove me wrong 🙄

1 minute ago, SanStarko said:

Well I for one am looking forward to our 2-7-1  formation on Saturday.  

I can kinda get the idea that maybe he's gone to free up wages for Murray to bring some guys in but it's such a weird time to release the news that he's retired that it doesn't feel like that can be the case.

I'm sure it'll be fine, surely we'll just announce we've signed 3 new CBs and a striker first thing tomorrow morning now....right?

Hopefully 

If this had happened a couple of weeks ago, I probably would have been okay with it.

Probably our highest paid player, who has looked completely and utterly done all summer coming off the wage bill, fine.

At this point though, pretty disastrous. 

I actually expected him to move on before the end of the window, if we could have found a team to take him, based on what Ian Murray has been saying after games.

His comments after Stirling Albion especially, about the defence sitting too deep and being slow in possession etc, were squarely aimed at Berra in my opinion. He can't play high and has never had great distribution, so was never going to fit into how Murray wants to play.

Berra wants to defend the penalty box, and head and kick the ball as far as he can. I reckon he sensed this was going to be a bridge too far for him, but the fact he wasn't willing to stick around even a week or two to help out seems interesting. 

I still think if we can bring in 4 or 5 who are decent, then we'll be fine. Not top four fine, but have enough to get by. If we can't bring in that amount, or we do but they're not up to the required standard, then on paper we'll have one of the weaker squads in the division. 

Be a bit of a pest if Dunfermline pass us the patter baton after getting a good laugh at them last season. 

1) Berra appeared injured or done the last few matches. He knows he’s done, and the comment about getting back to the game after a break suggests injury is the issue.

2) Berra’s salary is now available.

3) Surely Berra gave IM a heads up after Sunday (or Monday morning).

4) Perhaps IM now has a line on another experienced veteran player in the Premiership who can be loaned or released to us because he won’t be starting?

5) Damn I miss Big Dave, who is reportedly doing well at QoS.

6) Musonda’s gonna haunt us now, isn’t he?

7) Damn, I even miss Bene now!

You can only assume a signing will be announced before Saturday. Maybe that’s tomorrows news? We’ll be so desperate for a signing, any signing that we’ll accept whoever it is with open arms.

Definitely didn't see that coming. Big loss given the exodus of defenders who have already parted Rovers in the summer.
Your remaining centre halves are likely better than Mark Reynolds and Morgyn Neill if that's any consolation. That and you must have someone lined up before he throws the towel in like that 
We don't have ANY centre half's on the books.

Just another eventful day as a Rovers fan. 

Surprised? A bit. Upset? Nah It's just another blow in a year full of them. 

Murray binned 15 players at Airdrie last season. So far one way or another it seems we've lost 10 (11 if god forbid Mcdonald has joined Berra) of last seasons squad (Inc loanees) so maybe only another 4 or 5 to go? 

We've gone from a reasonably solid if unspectacular defence (2021-22) to a leaky defence (2022-23) to no defence (2023-24).

Edited by Scottydog

7 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
1 hour ago, renton said:
If he's fallen out with Murray that's maybe what the manager meant by positive news in the next 48 hoursemoji1.png

In all honesty I thought it would be difficult for a guy like Berra to take instruction and criticism from a guy like Ian Murray.

Why?

2 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

I've had a quick look at the Hearts website. It seems the B team have no manager in place. Cynical but......

I think Steven Naismith is in charge of them. He definitely took charge of them at the weekend. 

Berra is pretty hard headed from what I understand, didn't he have various fall-outs with Hearts over the years. Anyway, I agree if we get a couple of players in before Saturday perhaps it was as it's being dressed.

That said announcing it before no new signings suggests we aren't managing the timing of this one. Pretty underwhelmed if we announce Poplatnik at this stage of pre-season and a left-back that was playing L2 last season.

Iv held off getting my season ticket. Nothing announced re Goodwillie being the main reason. Iv held out hope that, that would be resolved before the first home game. That's looking unlikely in the same way that us having an actual cb is at this stage. If they announce dgw is gone tomorrow I'll actually go and buy a season ticket cb or not.