The New Raith Rovers Thread

Surely he just realised the last few games that he couldn't reach standard he'd set during his career. He's never looked the same since the injury last season.

If we can free up wages now and bring in 2-3 players before Saturday them hopefully this will be more positive than negative news

2 minutes ago, KDE87 said:

Probably a bit earner + a coaching wage. Maybe he's off to allow us to bring more than one player in?

That may be the case but given we have so many spaces left in the squad, I’d be worried if we needed to get him off the books to bring others in at this late stage.

1 minute ago, RaithRyan said:

Cmon Andy just sign the contract we are in dire straits

I'm Andy's agent and in the past hour his fee has went up from a picture of John McGlynn's taes and a bovril per week to £900 basic per week with clean sheet and appearance bonuses tied in. 

7 minutes ago, renton said:

We don't have any remaining centre halves. 

This is fucking mental. Even the Anelka pre-season didn’t seem as mental as this one. If we are still in the Championship next season I’ll be amazed.

Surely Murray knew that was happening? Has he fallen out with someone and thinks he’s had enough of playing? Stuff happens in players careers where they come to realise that they don’t want to play anymore but it’s a very odd time to retire when the league starts in a few days.

3 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Surely he just realised the last few games that he couldn't reach standard he'd set during his career. He's never looked the same since the injury last season.

If we can free up wages now and bring in 2-3 players before Saturday them hopefully this will be more positive than negative news

I hope that's the case. It definitely makes sense from a playing perspective but unless there are off field issues it's hard to understand why he couldn't have played on for a few more weeks to allow any new signings to integrate. 

18 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I don't get this at all. He only just accepted a coaching role and now he's leaving the club completely?!

I'm praying that he's only been playing on until we got into a position to announce some new signings. That's got to be what's happening. Right? 

I'm going for wrong!🥺

10 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I think there’s more to this than what Raith are saying not too long ago he was appointed as player coach but more solely looking to coach than play when we did get the CHs in now he’s fully retired In my honest opinion I think there’s a bit more to this……. But good luck to him on the retirement had a good career 

Crawford getting pelted fae east Fife maby 

On 24/07/2022 at 14:53, Against The Machine said:

My main concern at the moment is that glaring hole in the defence, mostly because at this stage in the game you'd have to assume we'll be relying on loan players. It's notoriously difficult to get good, reliable centre halfs in on loan. It's not that they don't exist, but you only need to look at Ross Graham at Dunfermline last season to see how easy it is for confidence to be shot and for players with bags of potential to offer basically nothing. 

Bringing in a young striker on loan is fine. It's a total gamble, but we've seen 18 or 19 year olds at this level have really good seasons. 

I'd love to be surprised, but I don't think we're going to get any more "Wow, what a signing!" reactions from this point on. Those options just don't seem to be out there. At best, I think we'll be getting arrivals who could go either way, and that's fine, but it's a huge risk. Not to go back to a well-worn topic, but I think letting Musonda go was and is a mistake. Purely because he's a known quantity. I think Murray's introduced too much risk into this squad with the gaps he's having to fill in such a sparse market. 

Can you midfield your way to a playoff place? At this point, I'm not so sure. 

To go back to this point from Sunday, it's now intensified ten-fold. It's now not just a gamble to bring in a young defender, it's an absolute pre-requisite that we find a leader at the back, and they don't exactly grow on trees. Liam Dick didn't set the heather alight last year and isn't an organiser, I haven't seen a huge amount of Ross Millen but he doesn't strike me as a leader either, and Scott Brown isn't even a fucking defender! 

We need to find an experienced, dominant, consistent and fit centre half. Four days before the season starts. Oh, and another one of just about any ilk to play alongside him. And another stiker.

Oh and mind Jamie MacDonald's injured too, to whatever mystery degree. 

3 minutes ago, rovers86 said:

Apparently loan signing coming from Aberdeen left back, Nwegenya

He was on loan to us in 2020 before going out to Kelty the season after. Didn't really feature as we had Harry Milne. Looked decent and by all accounts he's progressed but better than Liam Dick in that position not sure.

Better defensively than offensively. Definitely not versatile and able to cover CB as not really got the height.

Edited by CoveRangers1922