The New Raith Rovers Thread

9 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Really hope IM does come through with at least one CB and a striker over next couple of days.

As someone posted above this is the second time he’s said there’s players coming in and it’s not materialised. Probably outwith his direct control but regardless, saying something and it then not happening just irks the fans.

I like the way Murray comes across and can see from watching the last 4 games how he wants to play but potentially going into the first league game of the season with players out of position would be utterly diabolical for a top half championship side.

Tell you what…I’d be less worried if Bene and Musonda were still around and throw Matej in too although he’s nothing to do with the gaffer. I’d wager we’ll rue Musonda going, never got a run of games but did show flashes of real quality..would anyone wager a potential replacement will be better!?!

This 👍🏻

13 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It looks a tough market, so I wouldn’t bet on the replacements being improvements. You can but hope.

You have to suspect we may be looking at getting young loanees in and hoping they are up to scratch. 

Where are other Championship teams looking for players? Is it just in Scotland, or lower league England, Ireland, Wales, Abroad?

So why let bene and musonda go then🤷🏻‍♂️ Makes no sense just to get some teenagers in from big clubs who “might “ be ready for first team football, that has worked so well for us in the past when we signed barjonas, Scott roberts, Nathan cooney etc. have to say @TXrover was right we will tread water this season at best and that seems to be the plan from the board no matter what nonsense they post, Murray has been brought in because he can work with little money but hey at least we have a pink strip 🤦🏻‍♂️

It's worth remembering that the defence was generally terrible last season when Berra wasn't there.  Also  Frankie missed a good chunk through injury.  I can't imagine any incoming manager who didn't know the squad would be rushing to keep Benedictus and Musonda.

All comes down to the replacements, of course.  

14 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

So why let bene and musonda go then🤷🏻‍♂️ Makes no sense just to get some teenagers in from big clubs who “might “ be ready for first team football, that has worked so well for us in the past when we signed barjonas, Scott roberts, Nathan cooney etc. have to say @TXrover was right we will tread water this season at best and that seems to be the plan from the board no matter what nonsense they post, Murray has been brought in because he can work with little money but hey at least we have a pink strip 🤦🏻‍♂️

Was Bene not already gone by the time Murray was announced? Musonda was good first season, not that hot last season and from what I have seen hasn't really set the heather on fire so far at Ayr. In his defence he was shunted about all over the place by us, perhaps wanted to leave to go somewhere he got a regular game in a regular position?

16 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

As others also have said, Musonda is the perplexing one. I have to assume either he wasn’t happy extending at Raith, or we lowballed him. Not happy, I could see, as he would view his role as filler for Lang and FB cover…but the idea we may have simply offered too little would seem unimaginable if he haven’t signed where he did.

11 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

It's worth remembering that the defence was generally terrible last season when Berra wasn't there.  Also  Frankie missed a good chunk through injury.  I can't imagine any incoming manager who didn't know the squad would be rushing to keep Benedictus and Musonda.

Already heard Matej wanted too much money so that’s why he wasn’t signed. Bene was also one of the highest earners.

Frankies deal would have included accommodation so again another cost. He also failed to nail down a starting position within the team for 2 years, (FFS Davo kept him out the team) and had a bad injury.

It almost as if some of these players are getting better because they aren’t here anymore, and people are forgetting what they were actually like. 
Matej for example was busy but wasn’t the finisher we needed or now need - cup final performance aside.

My understanding with Musonda is we didn't offer what he was looking for one way or another. He's got a 2 year deal at Ayr, I don't think we'd have given him that. That's not lowballing him. 

There is still time to get players in, Murray did say he hoped to have bodies in this week, clearly that's not materialised for what could be many reasons. I suspect that other clubs are offering more than we can, we have to deal with that. There isn't many players in the country who would be willing to earn less here than go elsewhere for more. We're not an attractive enough proposition for that. 

23 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

Was Bene not already gone by the time Murray was announced? Musonda was good first season, not that hot last season and from what I have seen hasn't really set the heather on fire so far at Ayr. In his defence he was shunted about all over the place by us, perhaps wanted to leave to go somewhere he got a regular game in a regular position?

No Murray in his appointment interview mentioned bene having played 300 games for the club, I think there is a good player in Frankie but my point is some untried teenagers from other clubs, will they be better? 

29 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

We are at a crossroads and I stand by my earlier posts he is under pressure if he doesn’t get recruitment right, under pressure with the fans I mean probably not the board. Bringing in teenagers( which seems likely) to replace experienced players isn’t a great strategy in my book and saying players will be in this week( twice now) and not delivering isn’t great.

4 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

We are at a crossroads and I stand by my earlier posts he is under pressure if he doesn’t get recruitment right, under pressure with the fans I mean probably not the board. Bringing in teenagers( which seems likely) to replace experienced players isn’t a great strategy in my book and saying players will be in this week( twice now) and not delivering isn’t great.

I don't recall him saying players will be in, in the interview with Raith TV and the Courier he said he hoped to have players in, that's not the same thing, no promises or confirmations were made. 

45 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

what I have seen hasn't really set the heather on fire so far at Ayr

Watched him in 4 friendlies and 3 cup games and he has hardly put a foot wrong in any of the games , strolled through them 

37 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Already heard Matej wanted too much money so that’s why he wasn’t signed. Bene was also one of the highest earners.

Frankies deal would have included accommodation so again another cost. He also failed to nail down a starting position within the team for 2 years, (FFS Davo kept him out the team) and had a bad injury.

It almost as if some of these players are getting better because they aren’t here anymore, and people are forgetting what they were actually like. 
Matej for example was busy but wasn’t the finisher we needed or now need - cup final performance aside.

Total guesswork, but I’ve been wondering for a while if we pay really decent wages to a number of squad members for a club of our size. 

You’d imagine that MacDonald, Berra, Gullan, Ross, Vaughan and (unfortunately still) Goodwillie are all on good wages, maybe some others are too for this level. 

There has to come a point where that approach is reigned in a bit, or ideally, bears real fruit, but the latter certainly hasn’t happened yet, so if tightening the finances means some players are being offered deals on the same, or maybe even reduced terms, then I can understand why, and can also understand why the players are looking elsewhere for better or longer contracts. 

Hanging around for the quality that Murray wants and clearly needs, feels risky, but until we see who comes in, which I’m presuming will surely happen next week, we won’t really know if it’s paid off or not. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

6 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I don't recall him saying players will be in, in the interview with Raith TV and the Courier he said he hoped to have players in, that's not the same thing, no promises or confirmations were made. 

To be fair, when the manager says he hoped to have up to 3 players in by Sunday, and as of Saturday AM there hasn't even been a hint of a rumour - that is a concern of sorts.

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm genuinely not trying to stir up shit here but whats the situation with Goodwillie now? Is he still under contract?

He signed a two and a half year deal in January 2022.

We're in July 2022, so I reckon he might just still be under contract.

1 minute ago, Specky Ginger said:

He signed a two and a half year deal in January 2022.

We're in July 2022, so I reckon he might just still be under contract.

I had heard that he's a free agent now, off the Rovers books, but I have no confirmation of that being accurate. 

7 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Watched him in 4 friendlies and 3 cup games and he has hardly put a foot wrong in any of the games , strolled through them 

Looked like he had a bit of a mare v QOS from what I saw.

16 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Davie asked him the other night, he did say hope but jeezo say nothing then if nothing is close