The New Raith Rovers Thread

You've got to love our supporters, well one in particular, this one looked like he washes his face with a blowtorch kept the patter up all game.

Midway through the second half Rovers made to retake a free kick 'Haw ref, it was only a couple of yards away'

5 minutes later Dumbarton take a free kick' Haw ref, it was never fukin from there'

1 hour ago, Beastie Russell said:

1st viewing of Murray’s team

Positives for me Scott Brown (reminds me of Sinky), Sam Stanton (Best player on the park), and Coulson (did more and better than Zanatta).

Played some nice stuff at times, but little goal threat, I’ve yet to see Gullan “hammer” something, and Easton looks out his depth on this showing.

As we know we need a striker or two, and a right footed centre back, slightly worried at the strapping in our only center half's knee 

Berra looked shaky tonight imo, obviously carrying a knock but even in the air he wasn’t great 

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I quotient be surprised if in the league he'll cost us more goals than he creates. The amount of times he gives the ball away around our own box is alarming. He's coming deep to pick up the ball in the manner of Hendry and Spencer but he's nowhere near as good at it as either of them. 

Wow. A player that's not a defender has to be REALLY bad or unlucky to be responsible for even 3 goals over a season. Even Ross fukn Perry only managed about that. Let's take a midfielder - Alan Walker - he gave the ball away loads during his time with us, you think he was responsible for more goals conceded than he created and scored for us? Of course not.

I'm willing to bet you Easton will grab more goals and/or assists than 3

Edited by pantene proV

They aren’t pre season, we had a really good chance to qualify from that group and potentially draw a big club again and get some cash into the club, he has treated it like pre season and he has put himself under a bit of pressure with two poor performances last 2 games. What’s difficult to understand about that, if we beat Peterhead, Stirling and Dumbarton we would have qualified as a best runner up

No manager should ever be under any pressure at all if they lose 2 games in a row, and we haven’t even lost either game. And that’s no different here. [emoji23]

Look at the likes of St Johnstone and St Mirren. Very good chance neither club will progress. Neither manager will be under pressure because of this cup.

He was using this cup as a guide to see where we’re needing strengthened. He has 3 players, he hopes to have in the door by Sunday, if not definitely by next Saturday’s league starting. If this is the case and they’re split between CH and strikers, then I would say, it’s been quite a successful few games.

We have qualified once in the 6 years that the group stages have been around, so it won’t come as a shock if/when we exit the cup at this round again

7 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

You've got to love our supporters, well one in particular, this one looked like he washes his face with a blowtorch kept the patter up all game.

Midway through the second half Rovers made to retake a free kick 'Haw ref, it was only a couple of yards away'

5 minutes later Dumbarton take a free kick' Haw ref, it was never fukin from there'

One fandango said we were being “too pedantic” 🤔🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

No manager should ever be under any pressure at all if they lose 2 games in a row, and we haven’t even lost either game. And that’s no different here. emoji23.png

Look at the likes of St Johnstone and St Mirren. Very good chance neither club will progress. Neither manager will be under pressure because of this cup.

He was using this cup as a guide to see where we’re needing strengthened. He has 3 players, he hopes to have in the door by Sunday, if not definitely by next Saturday’s league starting. If this is the case and they’re split between CH and strikers, then I would say, it’s been quite a successful few games.

We have qualified once in the 6 years that the group stages have been around, so it won’t come as a shock if/when we exit the cup at this round again

He shouldn't have needed to use this cup as a guide. It was blindingly obvious before pre season where our weaknesses were. 

Also, this was pretty much the easiest draw we could've got in terms of the 3 teams below us and we've made a complete mess of it. 

I wouldn't say he's under pressure yet but if we lose against Cove it will start to build. So far there's not a lot to give cause for optimism and he badly needs a good start to the league. 

23 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

No manager should ever be under any pressure at all if they lose 2 games in a row, and we haven’t even lost either game. And that’s no different here. emoji23.png

Let’s hope he gets the 3 players in and they are decent players ready to start games not more teenagers. My point is we should have had 9 points against league 1 and 2 opposition, it’s an opportunity missed to qualify and maybe get a decent draw like Celtic again.  I don’t agree at all with you it will have been a successful few games because he will know he needs cb’s and strikers, jeezo we knew that 4 weeks ago 😂😂. Anyway it’s done now he needs to get the bodies in and prepare for the league, 

Clearly, what Murray should have done by now is go to the striker shop and get the best one available, then nip next door to the centre half superstore and get a couple of them. It's that easy.

Does anyone here think that he thinks the squad is done?

You've heard him saying anywhere between 1 and 3 new faces this week, all being well. It's literally his job to manage a squad and he's been doing it for a number of years, after a pro playing career, but some Johnny know it alls on here think it helpful to point out some deficiencies he might have missed.

Who would be a manager? Apart from some of the experts on here...

8 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Clearly, what Murray should have done by now is go to the striker shop and get the best one available, then nip next door to the centre half superstore and get a couple of them. It's that easy.

Does anyone here think that he thinks the squad is done?

You've heard him saying anywhere between 1 and 3 new faces this week, all being well. It's literally his job to manage a squad and he's been doing it for a number of years, after a pro playing career, but some Johnny know it alls on here think it helpful to point out some deficiencies he might have missed.

Who would be a manager? Apart from some of the experts on here...

It’s a public forum for discussing football mate, anyone can post anything they want and this thread is about the rovers so some people are moaning, big deal🤷🏻‍♂️ Scroll past if it annoys you or don’t come on it . Do I moan at the games and slate any of our players and manager -No I don’t, it won’t help them on the most important part of the week- game day but I choose to moan/discuss/praise the rovers on here. I’ve been involved in football as many others have and quite aware how it works.

9 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Where the feck we go from here is anybody's guess,  Murray needs to have players lined up now or we'll be fighting relegation from the start of the league campaign, just like our neighbours from along the road  

In fairness they were pretty good in the league Cup group last year: won 3 of their 4 games, scored 13 and conceded 3. 

Interesting in his post match interview when he refers to the Aberdeen game as "one game to go before the start of the real season"

I think if nothing else that shows how he views the league Cup stages in contrast to McGlynn.

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Agree with the sentiment in general, but looks Davidson is getting a bit of heat at St Johnstone.

Murray needs time to build his own squad, and if the nature of recruitment is that things are moving a bit later than usual then we have to take his word for that and trust him to get the right players in.  I will be far from pleased if that is our squad for the season - but the indications from the manager are that it wont be, so have to put trust in that process.

We haven't been bad as such over the last 2 games - there is something to work with there.  Some really decent football last night at times, but nothing at the end of it.  Not an easy fix, but one the manager has recognised.  

Talk of relegation scraps etc may come to fruition, but that type of chat after 3 league cup games is pretty mental.  I know the Rovers support is pretty hard to please, but there is absolutely nothing to be gained from panicking after 3 games.

Edited by CALDERON

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

Agree with the sentiment in general, but looks Davidson is getting a bit of heat at St Johnstone.

Murray needs time to build his own squad, and if the nature of recruitment is that things are moving a bit later than usual then we have to take his word for that and trust him to get the right players in.  I will be far from pleased if that is our squad for the season - but the indications from the manager are that it wont be, so have to put trust in that process.

We haven't been bad as such over the last 2 games - there is something to work with there. 

Talk of relegation scraps etc may come to fruition, but that type of chat after 3 league cup games is pretty mental.  I know the Rovers support is pretty hard to please, but there is absolutely nothing to be gained from panicking after 3 games.

Davidson is an accumulation of this seasons start plus last seasons dismal performance going from double cup winners to scraping by in the play-offs at the bottom of the league. 

25 minutes ago, renton said:

In fairness they were pretty good in the league Cup group last year: won 3 of their 4 games, scored 13 and conceded 3. 

Interesting in his post match interview when he refers to the Aberdeen game as "one game to go before the start of the real season"

I think if nothing else that shows how he views the league Cup stages in contrast to McGlynn.

I think had we been on 9 points, the sentiment for the cup would have been vastly different in the post match interview last night. IM is viewing this as the reality of the situation. If we don't get an equal or better result than Stirling do vs Peterhead, we don't finish 2nd.

Article posted on the club website yesterday, advising that Aberdeen tickets are on sale at the game 4 days.  Helpful. Nothing on social media etc either that I could see, and Aberdeen have been selling their tickets for a couple weeks now.

Edited by CALDERON

As most have said, if the league started tomorrow and we were running with this squad for the season then I’d be concerned but that’s not the case. The manager has confirmed he is hoping to have at least 3 players added to the squad for Cove next week.

We also have the likes of Spencer, Matthews, Vaughan and Lang to return at various points throughout the first half of the season and we saw what an impact missing Spencer had on us last season. Midfield hasn’t really been an issue the last few games we have controlled much of the games but there is no doubt having the options of Matthews/Spencer/Brown in there will improve us further.

A new manager will take time to get things right and set up how they want to play, judging him after 3 games with key injuries and the squad not complete would be ridiculous. In McGlynn’s first full League Cup campaign (after also having 3/4 of the previous season) we won 1 game out of 4 conceding 10 goals in the process including a 3-0 battering from newly promoted to League Two, Cove Rangers. We also lost 3-2 to Stranraer and 4-2 to East Fife in the first 5 games of the season with folk losing their shit about us starting the season with a 16 year old up front. Turns out he was alright and McGlynn’s patience saw us bring in Steven Anderson, Daniel Armstrong and John Baird later in the window, quality players at that level we would never have got if we had completed the squad at the start of July and all played their part in us winning the league.

There are other factors as Murray has spoken about also, 3 games in 6 days with pretty much the same players will have taken a lot out of them at this stage of pre season. I have seen enough from the first 3 games in terms of the style of play and approach work that with the right additions in defence and up front along with injuries returning we should have a pretty solid season. I think we’ll finish somewhere between 4th-6th. However, that’s on the assumption the attacking and defensive additions are of reasonable quality, if they’re poor signings then I will maybe consider joining the panic merchants…

3 hours ago, Geordie_Munrover said:

With regards to a striker, Jack Hamilton would be a good shout

He's just signed a new deal with Livingston at the beginning of the month. He's a great forward but I can't see him going on on loan - even if we did, there's only going to be one club he goes to. I'd imagine the same goes for Nouble if he was to go out to get game time. I guess if you don't ask, you don't get so it's well worth Murray making enquiries.