The New Raith Rovers Thread

52 minutes ago, The Tiel Burn said:

I would imagine the chances od Ross signing for the manager who wouldn't play him at Aberdeen are pretty slim. 

Ash Taylor signed for him - and he was shagging his missus!

Agree however Ross maybe signed for us because mcglynn was here. He's maybe told his agent to find him a new club since mcglynn left. It's all the talk of one person at this stage though.
It's also not beyond the realms of possibility that our squad had been largely together for a few years and built by mcglynn, so Murray wants to come in and make his own mark. He's chosen to move a few players on in order to do so. We still have a good core of players that have been with us for a few seasons now but Murray will ultimately be judged on results so let's let him build his squad and see the results before judging him.
Maybe shock horror the folk Mcglynn had a love with in playing every week were actually pretty dire and played whist knowingly injured. [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Can we sign a Spanish player?
Or as our signing power has diminished after Brexit, can we get a Georgian or Armenian or maybe a Romanian?
Preferably not a midfielder.
That's the issue. I'm sure Partick have had to jump through hoops to try to sign a foreign player. Citizen tests and all that shite.

7 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:
Can we sign a Spanish player?
Or as our signing power has diminished after Brexit, can we get a Georgian or Armenian or maybe a Romanian?
Preferably not a midfielder.

That's the issue. I'm sure Partick have had to jump through hoops to try to sign a foreign player. Citizen tests and all that shite.

https://theathletic.com/news/scottish-clubs-handed-transfer-boost-as-work-permit-exemption-made-permanent/7iiIW8LkiGt8/

Shouldn't be much different to pre-brexit going by this. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

We are apparently about to sign Ben Williamson on loan from Rangers.

Talk to me. Good and the bad.

He’ll be good for you, but can get a bit aggressive and headstrong. Nice presence in the midfield, if he gets playing time.

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

A decent enough player, good technique and good presence. Didn't make a huge impact with us, though McGlynn often played him quite advanced and not sure that's his best position.

Aggressive and strong in the tackle but also a massive walking temper tantrum. His attitude can and does let him down.

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm happy enough we have brought in someone from League 1 to replace him, if that helps.

Williamson is better than a lot of loanees we've had from Rangers but that isn't saying a lit. Had his best few games for us right at the end of the season when we had Spencer and Matthews/Stanton behind him. He's not a player any Rovers fan will look at and start greeting because he's not coming back, but most will be positive about his contribution.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Williamson is better than a lot of loanees we've had from Rangers but that isn't saying a lit. Had his best few games for us right at the end of the season when we had Spencer and Matthews/Stanton behind him. He's not a player any Rovers fan will look at and start greeting because he's not coming back, but most will be positive about his contribution.

I'd agree with this. Looked good in spells at the end of the season, but worries me that he's considered good enough to be an under-21 internationalist for Scotland. Highlights the problems with our talent pool. 

I'm not sure Williamson is quite ready to be a starter every week for a team looking at winning the league but he's definitely a useful squad player, even if it was difficult to tell what his best position was for us.

He is good for a red card though.

Or the OF bias.
This is true. Kai Kennedy is absolutely dugmeat but continued to get call ups. He also gets rave reviews in the press despite being underwhelming for three loans spells in a row. He'll be bouncing about the lower leagues in a few years time getting gigs based on who he played for before.

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

Williamson was impressive in the away game at Firhill and very impressive in the away game at Hamilton.

Other than that, I thought his signing was a hindrance to the progress of Aaron Arnott.

I would also add in the cup semi final away to Kilmarnock as one of his better performances too

Listened to podcast with Murray on Graeme Spiers Patreon site, he mentions the squad is too big again.  Also mentioned we need strikers, but didn't say anything about defence.  Did imply the young guys would be going out on loan.

Certainly got the impression he won't be signing players for the sake of it.