The New Raith Rovers Thread

HIBS winger Daniel MacKay is poised to secure a loan move to Raith Rovers.

The former Inverness Caledonian Thistle striker featured for Kilmarnock on-loan last season as Derek McInnes' men went on to claim the Championship title.

Is he a winger or a striker? The Sun can't get it right in their own article within 2 sentences.

Pretty sure he’s not a striker. Thought he played out wide or as a 10. Decent player with Inverness but don’t really see the point in signing him unless the Ethan Ross rumours are true.

Would give us Easton, Zanatta, Connolly, MacKay, Ross, Vaughan and Gullan all capable of playing in the 3 positions behind the striker which although a fantastic range of options for this level would be a ridiculous waste of funds when we have no out and out number 9 and one fit centre back.

Wait and see what happens but I have the fear it could mean Ross is away.

Either Murray wants 4 wingers for competition or moving one of the other wingers into another position or IF the rumours of Ethan Ross is true then be a massive downgrade imo but we will get good doe for him 
Of which Aberdeen are due a fair bit.

I'd rather keep Ross but if we are getting a good offer for him then it makes sense. I don't think he's started any of the games so far so it could indicate he isn't in the long term plans for Murray.

27 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Adds further fuel to the fire with regards to the Ethan Ross rumour, which I do not like one bit.

Or he wants rid of Zanatta.

Or he intends for Brown to play more at Centre Back until Lang is fit, necessitating Easton playing as a 6/8 instead of a 10, so Ross moves into 10.

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Or he wants rid of Zanatta.

Or he intends for Brown to play more at Centre Back until Lang is fit, necessitating Easton playing as a 6/8 instead of a 10, so Ross moves into 10.

If that is the case for brown then surely Brad would be playing the deeper role as that’s what he’s best at (obviously when he’s back if course) 

24 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Pretty sure he’s not a striker. Thought he played out wide or as a 10. Decent player with Inverness but don’t really see the point in signing him unless the Ethan Ross rumours are true.

Would give us Easton, Zanatta, Connolly, MacKay, Ross, Vaughan and Gullan all capable of playing in the 3 positions behind the striker which although a fantastic range of options for this level would be a ridiculous waste of funds when we have no out and out number 9 and one fit centre back.

Wait and see what happens but I have the fear it could mean Ross is away.

Bear in mind Vaughan is months away from being match fit, and like it or not Gullan will spend some time playing as a Number 9 or in a two up front, and that Easton will at times play deeper than a number 10.

7 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Of which Aberdeen are due a fair bit.

I'd rather keep Ross but if we are getting a good offer for him then it makes sense. I don't think he's started any of the games so far so it could indicate he isn't in the long term plans for Murray.

Did he not start against Kelty and QoS?

He played on the left and right for us at times. Don't recall him playing as a 10 TBH. He's definitely not a striker and seems to be at his best cutting in from the wide areas and will try and will often pop up in the space in between the full backs and CB. He hit that wonderful purple patch for us when everything he touched seemed to go in and he bagged a great move to Hibs out of it probably before he was really ready. Especially given for most of that season a lot of us probably thought he might be on the way out of ICT at the end of the season. Suspect a regular run of games will do wonders for him and I wouldn't have been disappointed had we gone back in for him.

33 minutes ago, renton said:

Bear in mind Vaughan is months away from being match fit, and like it or not Gullan will spend some time playing as a Number 9 or in a two up front, and that Easton will at times play deeper than a number 10.

Yeah that’s fair, I’m certainly not against the signing of MacKay particularly if it isn’t at the expense of Ross. Attacking players, particularly wide ones are notoriously inconsistent at this level (see Zanatta last season) so plenty of options in the area is no bad thing and something we lacked last season.

However, given most of us expected a cut to the budget after the Goodwillie disaster, I’d be pleasantly surprised if there was room in the budget for MacKay as well as the much needed good quality centre back and striker without any outgoings.

2 hours ago, Wee Sandy said:

Did you have to edit that?,,,, A clearly thought out and considered response,,,,like most of the guff some of you guys put on here!!

Calm doon,,,,when Murray hasw something to say,,,,he will,,,,in the meantime just stop rereating the same boring stuff/ day after day after day,,,,,,!

If you don’t like other folks opinion/moans maybe football forums aren’t for you, it’s my party and I will moan if I want to 😉