The New Raith Rovers Thread

17 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

A lot of premiership teams are already back in pre season training and playing friendlies/bounce games already so if we are looking at the loan market for a CH or forward then I think it will be the next week or 2 before anything is clear/rumoured to be on that front 

You’re probably right with that. I wouldn’t be surprised if we faced Peterhead with the same squad we have just now. Thankfully they seem to be struggling too so it buys us a bit of time.

With regards to Jim McInally’s piece on player recruitment, I don’t think it’s remotely comparable with our situation. Theirs is more to do with geography and presumably the cost of fuel.

Just now, Jilted John said:

You’re probably right with that. I wouldn’t be surprised if we faced Peterhead with the same squad we have just now. Thankfully they seem to be struggling too so it buys us a bit of time.

With regards to Jim McInally’s piece on player recruitment, I don’t think it’s remotely comparable with our situation. Theirs is more to do with geography and presumably the cost of fuel.

I'd say our situations are probably more closely aligned than you suggested. We have players travelling daily from Edinburgh and Glasgow who will be impacted by fuel costs and cost of living. We're also reducing our budget this season due to decisions made last season which will make it more difficult for us to compete overall if we want to have good numbers available to us.

11 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

So the bit about players holding out for bigger clubs and higher wages doesn't apply to us?

If anyone from our media team are on here, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE drop that team sheet gif. Most of us look at the team to try and work out the formation etc but it keeps resetting before you get the chance to take it all in.

I’ll second that. I usually save the jpeg to photos for reference. The GIF wont save to anywhere on my iPhone

4 minutes ago, deeky said:

I’ll second that. I usually save the jpeg to photos for reference. The GIF wont save to anywhere on my iPhone

Just screenshot it when the team is showing up on the GIF?

2 hours ago, renton said:

There does need to be some movement soon, no doubt but I wouldn't be surprised if it's only one in the CB position and then not even in time for P'Heid. Unless the trialist striker starts showing up a lot better (and let's face it, that's unlikely) then my guess is the striker signing likely will be a loanee with probably half the championship fighting over the same same three names.

I’m not having a go by any means, but 1 CB ain’t enough we need 2 in case of Berra picks up an injury or Lang does his ACL again then we’re back to a makeshift back 4 which was part of the reason why we never secured playoffs, whether that a 1 permanent CB in and 1 loan or 2 permanents.

as for the striker position we need at least 2 there as well because no one knows how Vaughan is going to be when he’s back there’s more work to be done than you think 

10 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

I’m not having a go by any means, but 1 CB ain’t enough we need 2 in case of Berra picks up an injury or Lang does his ACL again then we’re back to a makeshift back 4 which was part of the reason why we never secured playoffs, whether that a 1 permanent CB in and 1 loan or 2 permanents.

as for the striker position we need at least 2 there as well because no one knows how Vaughan is going to be when he’s back there’s more work to be done than you think 

I don't disagree. That post is describing what I think will happen, not what I want to happen.

3 hours ago, renton said:

There does need to be some movement soon, no doubt but I wouldn't be surprised if it's only one in the CB position and then not even in time for P'Heid. Unless the trialist striker starts showing up a lot better (and let's face it, that's unlikely) then my guess is the striker signing likely will be a loanee with probably half the championship fighting over the same same three names.

16 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

5 minutes ago, renton said:

I don't disagree. That post is describing what I think will happen, not what I want to happen.

This pretty much sums up what I expect too. With the dearth of proven talent available right now, I think Murray will look to get as proven a CB as possible in, and then trust Brown and Co. plus a couple of trialists for a few weeks until the loans sort out to cover the rest of it. For now, we have players to play ST/CF, but not what we really want, so a similar game of musical chairs and peeks at trialists is likely as well.

With the increased number and play of “B” teams, we may well find some teams waiting longer before determining who will be loaned versus who will play B team ball. It may also adversely impact the quality of loans available, especially for the L1 and L2 teams, but probably for us too. Also, the thinness of the loan market may result in teams loaning desiring greater compensation or assurances.

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I could be wrong but can loan players not still play for the b teams similar to how the u21s work? They wouldn't be available to us for the cup games in that case but it's no real loss.

Yes I think Cooney did when he came was still playing U21 with Dundee United same with Kai Fotheringham this is just 2 players from the top off my head btw 

Yes I think Cooney did when he came was still playing U21 with Dundee United same with Kai Fotheringham this is just 2 players from the top off my head btw 
I'm not sure if it's the same rules with b teams or not. I'm sure someone could clarify that.

I'll be surprised if Hartley is still the Hartlepool manager by 2023. A Falkirk style disaster is looming there. 

As far as Paterson goes, he was nowhere near a priority for us so not fussed in the slightest that he's moved elsewhere.